ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:16 pm

bell123321 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:38 pm
Good day all,

I have read a few people in a similar situation and was looking for some advice.

Claiming via Irish Grandparent (My mothers father).
Obtained the death certificate and birth cert for grandparent and birth cert for my mother. (Not sure if I need marriage certificates as names follow throughout if I do I will get these but not sure if required?).

However, I have not seen my mother for 29 years and have no idea where she and have zero way of contacting her as she walked out when I was a child and left me with my dad.

I called the FBR today and got told the ownership is on me to get ID from my mother even if exchanged which of course is impossible and the reply I got was "You will have to wait till she's dead and get her death certificate then".

Is there no way around this? (I would not be told if she passes as have no contacts on mums side of the family).

Thank you in advance if anyone is able to offer any advice.
You need to state in a cover letter you have everything except your parents copy of photo ID. You also need an affidavit of parental estrangement signed by a solicitor/Notary stating you have no contact & are unable to get a copy of the photo ID. Also include marriage certificates even if you dont think they matter, they are official documents that should match names/dates etc in multiple generations of birth certificates. it helps the FBR build a link, especially if you are missing something they require.

AngloIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AngloIrish » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:31 pm

I’m expecting my congratulations email imminently going from other timelines, I have made a VIP mail rule for anything from @dfa.ie. There is a custom vibration tone which literally shakes the table and an ‘AWOOGA’ car horn alert sound assigned to it. There will be no mistaking when it finally arrives.

AshJez
Newly Registered
England

Post by AshJez » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:37 pm

Let me assure you, this is the case. I offered all sorts of other possible solutions to the FBR and nothing but a copy of my mother's passport was considered as acceptable. NOTHING. This does appear unfair if as I did, claim based on my grandparents.

bell123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bell123321 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:42 pm

AshJez wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:37 pm
Let me assure you, this is the case. I offered all sorts of other possible solutions to the FBR and nothing but a copy of my mother's passport was considered as acceptable. NOTHING. This does appear unfair if as I did, claim based on my grandparents.
So frustrating to hear. Also not everyone has a passport or driving license. I can supply everything else just not mothers ID as I have not seen her since I was a young child and have zero idea where she is. :cry:

AshJez
Newly Registered
England

Post by AshJez » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:45 pm

bell123321 wrote:
Good day all,

I have read a few people in a similar situation and was looking for some advice.

Claiming via Irish Grandparent (My mothers father).
Obtained the death certificate and birth cert for grandparent and birth cert for my mother. (Not sure if I need marriage certificates as names follow throughout if I do I will get these but not sure if required?).

However, I have not seen my mother for 29 years and have no idea where she and have zero way of contacting her as she walked out when I was a child and left me with my dad.

I called the FBR today and got told the ownership is on me to get ID from my mother even if exchanged which of course is impossible and the reply I got was "You will have to wait till she's dead and get her death certificate then".

Is there no way around this? (I would not be told if she passes as have no contacts on mums side of the family).

Let me assure you, this is the case. Others it would seem will tell you different. I offered all sorts of other possible solutions to the FBR and nothing but a copy of my mother's passport was considered as acceptable. NOTHING. This does appear unfair if as I did, claim based on my grandparents.

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:49 pm

Mr Knight is right. Make a Stautory Declaration and get all marriage certs. Just post them (with application number). Assuming your claim is valid what do you have to loose?

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:20 am

bell123321 wrote:

That's the official line, but there have been several users here who have successfully done it.

Search this thread for "estrangement" and you'll find their stories.

bell123321
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by bell123321 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:25 pm

corky100 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:49 pm
Mr Knight is right. Make a Stautory Declaration and get all marriage certs. Just post them (with application number). Assuming your claim is valid what do you have to loose?
Did not want to lose nearly 300 euros if it is a big no without the parent ID. I will look at the statutory declaration that is witnessed and signed as Mr Knight mentioned and in meantime get the marriage certs anyway. (There are no name changes but I guess it is further proof of ties).

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:47 pm

bell123321 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:25 pm
corky100 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:49 pm
Did not want to lose nearly 300 euros if it is a big no without the parent ID. I will look at the statutory declaration that is witnessed and signed as Mr Knight mentioned and in meantime get the marriage certs anyway. (There are no name changes but I guess it is further proof of ties).
In my initial contact with them in 2020 on webchat they told me to include a cover letter & hope for the best. When they contacted me in 2022 it was more precise.
Attachments
Clarification.jpg
Clarification.jpg (475.42 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

MikeyMike
Ireland

Post by MikeyMike » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:25 am

AngloIrish wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:58 pm
Does anyone know if posting to the UK is still being delayed?
I recently received my passport card and passport book from Dublin 3 and 4 days after posting so I would say there are no delays. A few weeks earlier, my passport application took 7 days to get from the UK to Ireland. The Royal Mail tracking data was innacurate in each case but the service was fine.

AngloIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AngloIrish » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:36 pm

That’s great, thank you.

adlarson
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by adlarson » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:55 pm

Question about siblings in different countries.

There are 4 of us currently residing in 2 countries...we all share the same Irish grandfather, we all want to get our FBR. FBR web site says that siblings can submit multiple applications in one envelope all sharing the same ancestral certificates, but only if the applicants are resident in the same country. All the ancestral documents are currently at our mother's house in Country A.....so we have 3 options......Option 1) Ignore the web site and gather all the applications together and mail them in a single envelope from country A Option 2) Purchase a 2nd set of ancestral certificates for Country B and send in 2 envelopes, one from country A and one from country B. Option 3) Country A applies and sends the docs to Country B in about a year when they are returned from FBR office.

Option 1 is the easiest and fastest for us, Option 3 is the slowest and cheapest. Option 2 is the most expensive and labor intensive. Can anyone share their experience with siblings in different countries...dos and don'ts? Anyone actually try option 1?

LauHam
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LauHam » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:58 pm

1001 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:49 pm
Applied: November 2021
Application received: Dec 2021
Never got a receipt that my documents were received.

Then December 2022 and agent emailed me asking for additional documents which I sent a couple days later.

It’s been over 3 months now since I’ve sent the supporting documents in. I’ve tried emailing the guy handling my application to at least confirm receipt and he hasn’t responded. For all I know they never made it or the guy handling my case doesn’t work there anymore. I called their office and was just told I’ll be contacted if they need anything else. I told the guy handling my case that my daughter was due to be born soon and have been ignored. I’ve now become a parent of two children since I started this application (Irish twins ironically) and it’s heartbreaking that they will not have a path to citizenship now.

Now I’m seeing people that have been waiting half the time I’ve been waiting already being approved. I’m glad others are getting through but I’m so frustrated waiting for this resolution.

I’m in a similar situation - an agent asked by email for more documents (birth certificate), which I sent and then never got proof of arrival. He replied to my emails a few times and then nothing - it’s been 2 months since I sent it in, and I have no idea what to think. Other people here have said they are told to stop replying at some point.

Which documents did you need to submit?

LauHam
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LauHam » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:00 pm

EK29259 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 pm
alexkean1986 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:23 am
EK29259 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 am
Hello, first time posting here because i never figured out how to before, I basically a confirmation email on 20 february which asked to send over more documents because i didn’t get the right profession for my witness and was just wondering how long it will take for them to open up my other documents, they were received on the 24th March and was just wondering when can i expect an reply on the status of my application and weather it has been passed. Thank you :)
Sorry I can't be of help but could you clarify, did you start your application in February 2023 and they immediately apon receiving your documents highlighted the mistake? Also what was the profession they did not accept? Thanks in advance
They received my application on 13/04/2022 and they sent the email requesting more docs on 20/02/2023 and the docs were received on 24/03/2023, the profession i used first was a social worker who has witnessed other documents (not relations to fbr just in general) but it wasn’t allowed, so I was just wondering how long estimate for them to open and go through my documents i sent this year that they requested. Thank you :)
I’d love to know when you hear back, I’ve been waiting 2 months with no update since I sent in more docs they requested.

LauHam
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LauHam » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:08 pm

adlarson wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:55 pm

There are 4 of us currently residing in 2 countries...we all share the same Irish grandfather, we all want to get our FBR. FBR web site says that siblings can submit multiple applications in one envelope all sharing the same ancestral certificates, but only if the applicants are resident in the same country. All the ancestral documents are currently at our mother's house in Country A.....so we have 3 options......Option 1) Ignore the web site and gather all the applications together and mail them in a single envelope from country A Option 2) Purchase a 2nd set of ancestral certificates for Country B and send in 2 envelopes, one from country A and one from country B. Option 3) Country A applies and sends the docs to Country B in about a year when they are returned from FBR office.

Option 1 is the easiest and fastest for us, Option 3 is the slowest and cheapest. Option 2 is the most expensive and labor intensive. Can anyone share their experience with siblings in different countries...dos and don'ts? Anyone actually try option 1?
We are three brothers and I was living in Italy st the time of sending our joint application. I had a proof of address sent to an address in the UK (parent’s house) and used that as my address on my application. I haven’t received the outcome of our application yet, but I don’t imagine this will be a problem.

JoannaKJ
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JoannaKJ » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:33 am

adlarson wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:55 pm

My sisters applied last December using option 1, with one in France and two in the UK. Their applications were accepted and individually replied to using the three different email addresses. So far so good.

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:43 am

I had a request for additional documentation which i sent but never received confirmation that they have been received and included in the processing; has anyone else experience the same?

I would like some conformation that they received it and it's been included in my application, then wait for request for more documents ( which i hope not).

On a side note, one of the documents was proof of address, which I though i had sent. I've seen other people's timelines where they got an address conformation email. Has anyone submitted proof-of-address after sending their original application then NOT received address conformation, simply skipped that email straight to congratulations email?

Best,
AussieBiscuithead

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:40 pm

Got my son's confirmation of address email today! As a reminder, I applied for FBR for my son when he was three months old and thus by the time they began processing his application his photos were too old (photos for those under the age of two must be from within the last six months).

Application submitted online: February 14th, 2021
Documents mailed: April 13th, 2021
Documents received in Ireland: April 26th, 2021 (according to the United States Postal Service tracking system; I never received any confirmation from the Irish authorities)
Email request for updated photos of infant child: November 29th, 2022
Updated photos sent by mail to FBR staff: November 30th, 2022
Confirmation of address email: April 17th, 2023 (today!)

In the home stretch now. Been almost exactly two years since they received our documents.

What's the expected time between now and physically getting the FBR certificate? Also, anyone know average processing time for a first time passport for an infant living outside of Ireland?

AngloIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AngloIrish » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:57 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:40 pm
Got my son's confirmation of address email today! As a reminder, I applied for FBR for my son when he was three months old and thus by the time they began processing his application his photos were too old (photos for those under the age of two must be from within the last six months).

Application submitted online: February 14th, 2021
Documents mailed: April 13th, 2021
Documents received in Ireland: April 26th, 2021 (according to the United States Postal Service tracking system; I never received any confirmation from the Irish authorities)
Email request for updated photos of infant child: November 29th, 2022
Updated photos sent by mail to FBR staff: November 30th, 2022
Confirmation of address email: April 17th, 2023 (today!)

In the home stretch now. Been almost exactly two years since they received our documents.

What's the expected time between now and physically getting the FBR certificate? Also, anyone know average processing time for a first time passport for an infant living outside of Ireland?
I got my address confirmation on 14/3/2023, still waiting for the congratulations email / confirmation of print. It should be imminent. Previous users had to wait about 30 days, seems to have drifted slightly longer now.

People generally receive their certificate about a week after this, though this depends on where you are.

EveningStar
Newly Registered

Post by EveningStar » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 pm

I hope it is correct to post on here and not start a new Thread.

I am completing an application for my daughter. I have a couple of questions please:

I only have a certified copy of my marriage certificate and the original had to be sent to the Court when I divorced. They state they only accept originals, surely this will be ok as its a certified copy of the original?

Do I also need to send the Decree Nisi for the divorce, I can't see anything that says I need to and surely they are just interested in my daughter's birth certificate matching my details and my change of name when I married?

Photos. I have read a few things on here. The applications states 'witness to sign, stamp and enter the application number on the back. The Documentary requirements for FBR application states 'Two of the photographs must be signed, stamped and dated by a witness from the list below'. Which is it or should I do application number, date, sign and try and fit a stamp on - if he has one?

Many thanks,

Theresa

AussieBiscuithead
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by AussieBiscuithead » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:23 am

AussieBiscuithead wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:43 am
I had a request for additional documentation which i sent but never received confirmation that they have been received and included in the processing; has anyone else experience the same?

I would like some conformation that they received it and it's been included in my application, then wait for request for more documents ( which i hope not).

On a side note, one of the documents was proof of address, which I though i had sent. I've seen other people's timelines where they got an address conformation email. Has anyone submitted proof-of-address after sending their original application then NOT received address conformation, simply skipped that email straight to congratulations email?

Best,
AussieBiscuithead
I emailed the person who is handling my application, they couldn't provide an update on my additional documentation as they didn't have my application on their desk. My suspicion is the documentation hasn't been processed and included in my application.

Waiting game continues.

Rxp2023
United Kingdom

Post by Rxp2023 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:01 pm

EveningStar wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 pm
I hope it is correct to post on here and not start a new Thread.

I am completing an application for my daughter. I have a couple of questions please:

I only have a certified copy of my marriage certificate and the original had to be sent to the Court when I divorced. They state they only accept originals, surely this will be ok as its a certified copy of the original?

Do I also need to send the Decree Nisi for the divorce, I can't see anything that says I need to and surely they are just interested in my daughter's birth certificate matching my details and my change of name when I married?

Photos. I have read a few things on here. The applications states 'witness to sign, stamp and enter the application number on the back. The Documentary requirements for FBR application states 'Two of the photographs must be signed, stamped and dated by a witness from the list below'. Which is it or should I do application number, date, sign and try and fit a stamp on - if he has one?

Many thanks,

Theresa
Original essentially means an official copy issued by the relevant authority and not a photocopy, so does not have to be the first ‘original’ copy that you were issued with. Most of my documents were ordered just prior to application and mainly did not include first ‘original’ certificates. I also did not include anything regarding my mother’s divorce as no names had been changed but you may want to include that, I’m not 100% sure on the requirement. I had my photos signed, stamped and dated, I did not include the application number, although it probably won’t hurt if you include it. The main thing is that you include the application number on the envelope containing your documents.

lrcie
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lrcie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:17 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if my FBR certificate will have my birth name on it or my current name?

Best,

Larcie

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm

lrcie wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:17 pm
Hello,

Does anyone know if my FBR certificate will have my birth name on it or my current name?

Best,

Larcie
Your original name exactly as it appears on your birth certificate.

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Tickets » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:41 am

Hi is anybody able to tell me how the address confirmation email is worded please