ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

pls help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

smiles345
Member of Standing

pls help

Post by smiles345 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:57 pm

three students from India want to come and study sandwich course in UK. spoke to the college and i suggested whether i can get the money as Demand Draft from India. they said they have some tax implications if they accpt DD. do colleges have any tax implications? what are the taxes applied to colleges here in the UK? pls help

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:28 pm

The only tax implications they will have is that they will have to declare the income!

Did the college ask you to pay in cash perhaps?

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:52 pm

No, they didnt ask me to pay in cash. would you also pls let me know what are the accreditation required for the college to bring NVQ level -4 health and social care students?

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Hello smiles345

At the moment the college has to be on this register:

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/providersregister/

Early next year the points based system is coming in for students, so the college will have to be on this list to carry on sponsoring new or continuing students:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... seducation

There is also new guidance that will be implemented that could affect your friends:
Circumstances in which we will withdraw a sponsor’s licence
A sponsor will lose its licence if:
it is an educational institution and the e) courses it is offering to sponsored migrants are below S/NVQ Level 3 and/or any work placement associated with a course accounts for more than 50% of the total course.
This may be to stop cases where students are working towards an NVQ, but working all the time with very little classroom time.

The course should also be from a recognised awarding body on this list:

accredited qualifications

This is especially important if it is going to take them more than one year to do the course.

Why do they want to do an NVQ? The only role I have heard that qulification is useful for is manager of a care home in the UK.

Regards

smiles345
Member of Standing

Post by smiles345 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 pm

paper pusher-thanx for the kind reply. you are right, i mean they can only work as a manager. but these people are completed thier degree in nursing back home and desperately want to migrate to UK. but i have been told that people who are doing sandwich courses do not need to at the college fulltime? are there colleges in london who offers this kind of course? pls help

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 pm

I am sure that there are colleges that offer NVQ4 in healthcare.

Why don't they just try to get a nursing job instead. Or failing that a job as a care assistant in a nursing home? Then there would be no college fees and they could work full time. It is still possible through the points based system.

The NVQ4 would have to be full time, with only part time work allowed. The "sandwich" bit would be full time work. Don't you think that this could just be a way for nursing homes to get cheap skilled labour?

I think that your friends should research all their options.

Regards