ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 / EEA4 -- passport required for frequent travel

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gotaquestion
Newly Registered

EEA2 / EEA4 -- passport required for frequent travel

Post by gotaquestion » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 am

Hello

I'm about to submit the EEA4 application. My main concern is that I will need my passport for frequent travel whilst the application is being processed (say 6 months).

In previous posts it has been suggested to send initially only certified photocopies of the passports, and ask Home Office (HO) to request the original passports when about to issue the application. However, from the HO help line it seems this is likely to be rejected (called 5 times to speak to different people).

1) Has anyone succeeded / failed sending initially only passport photocopies?

2) Alternatively, how long could take to send the application and get the passports back? (I'm guessing 3-4 weeks for the acknowledgement and then 2-3 weeks for the return of passport, in the sunny day scenario).

3) And worst case scenario, is it possible to request in person the passport on the HO offices (Croydon?)?

Thanks in advance

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: EEA2 / EEA4 -- passport required for frequent travel

Post by thsths » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:52 pm

gotaquestion wrote:I'm about to submit the EEA4 application. My main concern is that I will need my passport for frequent travel whilst the application is being processed (say 6 months).

In previous posts it has been suggested to send initially only certified photocopies of the passports, and ask Home Office (HO) to request the original passports when about to issue the application. However, from the HO help line it seems this is likely to be rejected (called 5 times to speak to different people).
All I can say is that we did send copies, and it worked. I think legally they are required to ask for missing documents, but with all the chaos in the process, I would not want to rely on anything.
2) Alternatively, how long could take to send the application and get the passports back? (I'm guessing 3-4 weeks for the acknowledgement and then 2-3 weeks for the return of passport, in the sunny day scenario).
I think it is more like 2 months for the acknowledgement letter and 4 weeks for the passport.
3) And worst case scenario, is it possible to request in person the passport on the HO offices (Croydon?)?
Maybe, but since the applications are now processed in Liverpool, it may not be so easy any more.

Regards,
Tom

gotaquestion
Newly Registered

Post by gotaquestion » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Tom

Can you share what approach you have used i.e. cover letter indicating a reason for not sending the originals? reference of previous application where the HO have seen already the original passports (EEA FP, EEA2)?

Did the HO contacted you to return the passport? Or did they issue the stamp in a separate piece of paper?

Thanks,
Alberto

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:46 am

gotaquestion wrote:Did the HO contacted you to return the passport? Or did they issue the stamp in a separate piece of paper?
I just wrote that we need the passport for frequent travel. After a few months, the UKBA did ask for "recent payslips" and the passport.

If they do not require any other information (which is unlikely), it is possible that they would issue the Residence Card on a separate paper.

gotaquestion
Newly Registered

Post by gotaquestion » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:29 pm

I've contacted two more people via private message and they too have had a positive experience sending certified copies.

Anyone else wants to share their experience sending certified copies?

gotaquestion
Newly Registered

Post by gotaquestion » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:59 am

Quick update...

I have recently submitted my EEA4 application with certified copies of passports. After 10 days I received the Certificate of Application. Hopefuly this means that the application was initially accepted with just only the passport copies.

The Home Office website says they are currently processing Feb 2008 applications. Either this info is not up to date, or they are not generally meeting the 6 months deadline.

joelondon
Member of Standing

Post by joelondon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:57 pm

gotaquestion wrote:Quick update...

I have recently submitted my EEA4 application with certified copies of passports. After 10 days I received the Certificate of Application. Hopefuly this means that the application was initially accepted with just only the passport copies.

The Home Office website says they are currently processing Feb 2008 applications. Either this info is not up to date, or they are not generally meeting the 6 months deadline.

hey how we doing ?
did u get an answer from the home office ? any update ? can u please let us know thanks..and how long u have been waiting ? did u call the home office ? as they still on january application i believe that is gona take about a year or something ....keep us up to date thanks

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: EEA2 / EEA4 -- passport required for frequent travel

Post by thsths » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 pm

gotaquestion wrote:In previous posts it has been suggested to send initially only certified photocopies of the passports, and ask Home Office (HO) to request the original passports when about to issue the application. However, from the HO help line it seems this is likely to be rejected (called 5 times to speak to different people).
I know this is a late response, but I am somehow surprised that they would be lying about this. I understand that the UKBA does not want to deal with the extra effort of having to request the passport. But bullying people into not travelling cannot possibly legal.

So I remain puzzled about this information.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:52 pm

I have made various European applications in the past, and never sent passports with the initial application to Croydon. By the time the application is finally processed they will ask for missing documents. Usually they ask for many more documents as well (including ones that are actually not required - in one case there were even six documents in this category).
Another trick is to send an old (expired) passport, which of course is not valid for travel and technically also no longer proof of identity, but it is still an original document issued by competent authorities.
In the end you cannot avoid to send a valid passport but then you will be without for at most a few weeks.
You can have a look at http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... dlaw/ecis/ for details of the procedures for the various types of applications under EU law.

ignatius
Newly Registered

Post by ignatius » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:52 pm

fysicus wrote:I have made various European applications in the past, and never sent passports with the initial application to Croydon. By the time the application is finally processed they will ask for missing documents. Usually they ask for many more documents as well (including ones that are actually not required - in one case there were even six documents in this category).
Another trick is to send an old (expired) passport, which of course is not valid for travel and technically also no longer proof of identity, but it is still an original document issued by competent authorities.
In the end you cannot avoid to send a valid passport but then you will be without for at most a few weeks.
You can have a look at http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... dlaw/ecis/ for details of the procedures for the various types of applications under EU law.
I am going to try to send a certified copy of my passport when sending the EEA4 document. I need to travel 2 months after the expiration of my current spouse visa (5 years). I looked at the link above, and notice,
in Chapter 6, Paragraph 6.1 it says:

"In contrast to the policy governing applications made under the Immigration Rules an
application cannot be rejected because the form has not been used or has not been
fully completed."

Now I just hope that I receive an acknowledgement letter before I travel! I imagine returning to Heathrow without that letter will make my life quite difficult.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:33 am

in addition to the above, you may find some useful information on http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... rfamil.pdf
These are the instructions used by British immigration officers. Of course based on the actual law: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20061003.htm (especially chapter 11).
And if unfortunately things go wrong: http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... anddep.pdf

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:40 pm

At least one person tried to send a certified copy of their passport instead of the actual document and it was returned to them. Best practice might be to apply with the passport and ask for it back immediately if there's an immediate requirement to travel.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 pm

This thread was posted in the wrong section. Should be under EEA applications.