ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Band C speeding and naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ravin9889

Band C speeding and naturalisation

Post by ravin9889 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:30 am

Hello,

I feel very guilty and stupid of a speeding incident back in Feb 2023, I don’t know want to justify it with any excuses. Received a SJPN a couple of days ago.

I am currently on ILR and my naturalisation would be due for application in October. From my google search, it looks like I will be getting 6 points on my license or a disqualification. Will any of those effect my naturalisation application? If so, when can I apply for naturalisation after receiving the verdict.

I have an option to plead guilty without going to court or plead guilty with a hearing in court. Is any one better than the other considering naturalisation due in a few months?

Will this also affect British passport application?

I am really worried now. Please advise. Many thanks in advance!

ravin9889

Re: Band C speeding and naturalisation

Post by ravin9889 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:41 am

Some more details:

I have a clear license and this is my first driving offense of any kind. I have been driving since 2018 (so 5 years now), and I drive around 8k miles every year.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:44 am

Naturalisation is a discretionary application, there's no "due" date, you can apply anytime you qualify, even in 20 years time.

I believe (others will comment/confirm) it's normally 3 years after the offence has been recorded. I'm not a legal expert but unless you have firm evidence to contest the charge there's no point going to court, if you are found guilty in court that's a court judgement against you. With 6 points you normally won't get a ban.

However, if you are a first time offender you may be offered a "Speed Awareness Course" which then doesn't count as a fine and isn't recorded as an offence, so in that case nothing to disclose (not even to your insurers). You still pay for the course!

Your point about British passport is not relevant as you can only get one once you are British, and you wouldn't be questioned about your driving record or good character in general.

Let's say it's not the end of the world.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ravin9889

Post by ravin9889 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:49 am

Thanks a lot @alterhase58, really appreciate your prompt response.

So if I get 6 points or disqualification, I will have to wait for 3 years before applying for naturalisation?

sofpolo
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by sofpolo » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:28 am

ravin9889 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:30 am
I am currently on ILR and my naturalisation would be due for application in October. From my google search, it looks like I will be getting 6 points on my license or a disqualification. Will any of those effect my naturalisation application?...
The AN Guide available https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rocess.pdf specifically explains that:

Fixed penalty notices such as those issued under the coronavirus Regulations, or for
traffic offences such as speeding or parking tickets must also be disclosed, although will
not normally be taken into account
unless you have failed to pay and there were
criminal proceedings as a result, or you have received multiple fixed penalty notices in a
short space of time.

ravin9889

Post by ravin9889 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:22 pm

Thanks for sharing the guide. But can someone please advise on how long do I have to wait after getting 6 poins/disqualification before applying for naturalisation?