ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on British Citizenship eligiblity via 5 yr ILR route

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kashish
India

Query on British Citizenship eligiblity via 5 yr ILR route

Post by kashish » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:12 am

My husband and my son (6yrs old, dependent) received there ILR via the 5-year route this week.
I recently received British citizenship, although I am still waiting for my passport and submitted the application 2 months ago.

Given I have British nationality now, and both my husband and son have status settled(ILR), are they eligible to apply for citizenship straight away, or do they have to wait for a year?

Looking at https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse, it appears my husband and son are eligible. Copy pasting relevant text from link:
Eligibility and fees
You can apply for British citizenship by ‘naturalisation’ if you:
  • are 18 or over
  • are married to, or in a civil partnership with, someone who is a British citizen
  • have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application
You can apply as soon as you have one of the following:
  • indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK
  • ‘settled status’ (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain under the EU Settlement Scheme’)
  • indefinite leave to enter the UK (permission to move to the UK permanently from abroad)

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Query on British Citizenship eligiblity via 5 yr ILR route

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:16 am

Yes, your husband can apply to naturalise now and your son can apply to be registered using form MN1
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

kashish
India

Post by kashish » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:14 pm

thanks for the reply. Before applying for MN1 for our child, do we have to wait for a decision on my husband's naturalization application or can it be done in parallel?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:26 pm

kashish wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:14 pm
thanks for the reply. Before applying for MN1 for our child, do we have to wait for a decision on my husband's naturalization application or can it be done in parallel?
No. The child is expected to have ILR, one parent needs to be British and the other one must be at least settled. So apply at the same time
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice