ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit visa for relative - 10 years

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abhijack

Visit visa for relative - 10 years

Post by abhijack » Sat May 06, 2023 1:08 am

Can I seek your advice, please?

My mother-in-law applied for 10 years visitor visa recently and we paid the appropriate fees.
However, she was only given a 6-month visa.
We emailed UK Visa for clarification and they replied - She didn't qualify for a 10-year visa but didn't give any reasons.

Background:
- She is an Indian Citizen
- She has PR in Germany and applied from Germany.
- She was issued a 10-year visitor visa which expires in June. During that visa period, she visited us in UK several times and never stayed more than 4 weeks at a time.

What are our options now?
1) Do we have any option to get the decision reconsidered?
2) If not do we have the option to get a refund as we paid for 10 years visa and were given only 6 months visa?

Many thanks for your input.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Visit visa for relative - 10 years

Post by AmazonianX » Sat May 06, 2023 3:29 am

abhijack wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 1:08 am
Can I seek your advice, please?

My mother-in-law applied for 10 years visitor visa recently and we paid the appropriate fees.
However, she was only given a 6-month visa.
We emailed UK Visa for clarification and they replied - She didn't qualify for a 10-year visa but didn't give any reasons.

Background:
- She is an Indian Citizen
- She has PR in Germany and applied from Germany.
- She was issued a 10-year visitor visa which expires in June. During that visa period, she visited us in UK several times and never stayed more than 4 weeks at a time.

What are our options now?
1) Do we have any option to get the decision reconsidered?
2) If not do we have the option to get a refund as we paid for 10 years visa and were given only 6 months visa?

Many thanks for your input.
See below threads

general-uk-immigration-forum/applied-fo ... 25803.html

general-uk-immigration-forum/applied-an ... a#p2110497

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sat May 06, 2023 10:08 am

thanks a lot...

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sat May 06, 2023 10:19 am

We contacted UKVI by email and got this reply which seems to be a generic one...

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting UK Visas and Immigration International Contact Centre.

Thank you for your email query. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that you will be granted the longer visa, gov.uk states: You may be given a shorter visa than requested if UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) believe you cannot meet the eligibility requirements for the duration of the visa you applied for.

Long-term Standard Visitor visas
You can choose to apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa if you visit the UK regularly. This visa lasts 2, 5 or 10 years. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.

If you’re under 18 years old when you apply, your long-term Standard Visitor visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after you turn 18. You cannot get a refund on the fee.

You may be given a shorter visa than requested if UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) believe you cannot meet the eligibility requirements for the duration of the visa you applied for.

You will not get a refund of the application fee if you get a shorter visa or if your application is refused.

Your visa may be cancelled if your travel history shows you are repeatedly living in the UK for extended periods.

xxx
UK Visas and Immigration

Many thanks to the links @vinny posted in the thread started by @Evicra.
UKVI has neither given any cover letter explaining the issue of a shorter visa nor given any explanation in the email response!!

At the end of their email, they say this:
To add additional comments, reply to this email.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 06, 2023 12:50 pm

Ask them to please specify the eligibility requirements that were not met?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 06, 2023 2:13 pm

Failing a satisfactory response, complain?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat May 06, 2023 7:46 pm

Was any reason given why 6months was granted and not the 10yrs requested. What reason was written for granting her the shorter duration?

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 am

vinny wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:50 pm
Ask them to please specify the eligibility requirements that were not met?
Thanks...
I am drafting a response email now.
I think in that email I will include her immigration history (which they already know).
i.e she had 10 year visit visa already and she has never stayed more than 4 weeks in one go.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon May 08, 2023 8:52 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:46 pm
Was any reason given why 6 months was granted and not the 10yrs requested? What reason was written for granting her the shorter duration?
they didn't give any reason or cover letter.
When we emailed they responded with a generic reply stating in some cases a visa may be given for a shorter duration than applied for. Didnt give any specific reason for our case.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon May 08, 2023 9:12 am

abhijack wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:52 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 7:46 pm
Was any reason given why 6 months was granted and not the 10yrs requested? What reason was written for granting her the shorter duration?
they didn't give any reason or cover letter.
When we emailed they responded with a generic reply stating in some cases a visa may be given for a shorter duration than applied for. Didnt give any specific reason for our case.
You do need to pursue this and get it rectified especially with no previous adverse UK immigration history.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 08, 2023 9:56 am

abhijack wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:50 am
i.e she had 10 year visit visa already and she has never stayed more than 4 weeks in one go.
Moreover, she has a positive immigration history! If they cannot give cogent reasons, then they are being unreasonable.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon May 08, 2023 10:06 am

Dear Sir/Madam,
My Reference - GWF number: GWFxxxx, Unique application number: xxxx Enquiry reference - xxx

1) I didn't get a cover letter providing clear reasons for the decision to grant a visa for a shorter period than that applied for. I understand from the caseworker guidance document. that, this is a requirement. 

2) I believe I have a good immigration history.
- I was issued 10 years UK visit visa in 2013 - valid from xx to xx. (Visa number - xxx).
- During that period I visited the UK several times to be with my daughter and family and have never stayed more than 2 months at a time.
- I am an Indian citizen and have PR (indefinite leave to remain) in Germany.
- My daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren live in the UK and a long-term visit visa would help me to visit them and spend some quality time with them.
- I will continue to abide by the rules regarding the length of stay as I have done with the last 10 years visit visa you granted me in 2013.

3) I believe I have submitted all documents in support of my 10-year visitor visa application (GWFxxxx).
4) Can you please provide the reasons for issuing a shorter visa in my case if any?
5) If it is a clerical error I politely request you to kindly correct the endorsement as per ECB19.

This is a letter I have drafted for her.
Can you please advise if it needs any corrections? I hope I am not going overboard with the response at this stage as I am not the complaint stage yet..

Thanks for your regular replies @vinny and @AmazonianX ..

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon May 08, 2023 11:13 am

abhijack wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:06 am
Dear Sir/Madam,
My Reference - GWF number: GWFxxxx, Unique application number: xxxx Enquiry reference - xxx

1) I didn't get a cover letter providing clear reasons for the decision to grant a visa for a shorter period than that applied for. I understand from the caseworker guidance document. that, this is a requirement. 

2) I believe I have a good immigration history.
- I was issued 10 years UK visit visa in 2013 - valid from xx to xx. (Visa number - xxx).
- During that period I visited the UK several times to be with my daughter and family and have never stayed more than 2 months at a time.
- I am an Indian citizen and have PR (indefinite leave to remain) in Germany.
- My daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandchildren live in the UK and a long-term visit visa would help me to visit them and spend some quality time with them.
- I will continue to abide by the rules regarding the length of stay as I have done with the last 10 years visit visa you granted me in 2013.

3) I believe I have submitted all documents in support of my 10-year visitor visa application (GWFxxxx).
4) Can you please provide the reasons for issuing a shorter visa in my case if any?
5) If it is a clerical error I politely request you to kindly correct the endorsement as per ECB19.

This is a letter I have drafted for her.
Can you please advise if it needs any corrections? I hope I am not going overboard with the response at this stage as I am not the complaint stage yet..

Thanks for your regular replies @vinny and @AmazonianX ..
Your letter is concise and still on the path of peaceful resolution.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:13 am

Your letter is concise and still on the path of peaceful resolution.
Many thanks. Have sent the email to them..

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Sun May 21, 2023 11:56 pm

Update:

We received a reply apologizing for the error.
We submitted the passport this week for correction.

Thanks for your help @vinny and @AmazonianX

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 22, 2023 12:50 am

Congratulations!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon May 22, 2023 8:22 am

abhijack wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:56 pm
Update:

We received a reply apologizing for the error.
We submitted the passport this week for correction.

Thanks for your help @vinny and @AmazonianX
Congratulations.

abhijack

Post by abhijack » Mon May 29, 2023 2:15 am

Final Update:
Collected passport this week and can confirm they have endorsed 10 years Visa.

Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon May 29, 2023 5:36 am

abhijack wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:15 am
Final Update:
Collected passport this week and can confirm they have endorsed 10 years Visa.

Thanks.
Successful outcome, congratulations on not relenting.