ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor visa to attend graduation (Husband and child are British citizens)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sysy
Newly Registered
Kenya

Visitor visa to attend graduation (Husband and child are British citizens)

Post by Sysy » Tue May 09, 2023 12:31 pm

Hello,

Background: My husband is a British citizen since 2018. We have two kids one born before his British status so he isn't a citizen but the younger one is a citizen and we got her passport after applying from overseas. I did my masters in the UK in 2020 but never got to graduate in person in 2021 due to covid rules. Fast forward to last year and we were invited for in person graduations for this year's summer graduation. May I add that after i finished my studies, I went back to my home country even before my visa had expired because I had missed my child so much. When I left the UK, I traveled with my husband and we have been living outside the UK since 2021(He is lucky to have a remote job). We've got a second child during this time outside the UK. I intend to travel with hubby and child to the UK but will leave the first born since he will be in school during that time (just 10 days).
I do have a stable remote job in the UK myself and therefore I use the bank account that I opened while in the UK for the salary and I intend to use those bank statements. Now this is where my worry comes in. I do have a good income and savings but I do not intend to settle there now since we have some projects that we are still doing back home (hence not applying for family visas until end of the year). I have a lease agreement and another child in addition to other family members that I take care of back home. I have also booked a return flight already with all 3 of us in it.
Question: Will the visa be refused on grounds that I don't have strong ties back home? Am I overthinking it? Can I fail to disclose that I am traveling with them and that they have a British citizenship since they have dual nationalities?
I am a bit scared of putting in my application as it may look like a red flag.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Visitor visa to attend graduation (Husband and child are British citizens)

Post by AmazonianX » Tue May 09, 2023 12:49 pm

Sysy wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 12:31 pm
Hello,

Background: My husband is a British citizen since 2018. We have two kids one born before his British status so he isn't a citizen but the younger one is a citizen and we got her passport after applying from overseas. I did my masters in the UK in 2020 but never got to graduate in person in 2021 due to covid rules. Fast forward to last year and we were invited for in person graduations for this year's summer graduation. May I add that after i finished my studies, I went back to my home country even before my visa had expired because I had missed my child so much. When I left the UK, I traveled with my husband and we have been living outside the UK since 2021(He is lucky to have a remote job). We've got a second child during this time outside the UK. I intend to travel with hubby and child to the UK but will leave the first born since he will be in school during that time (just 10 days).
I do have a stable remote job in the UK myself and therefore I use the bank account that I opened while in the UK for the salary and I intend to use those bank statements. Now this is where my worry comes in. I do have a good income and savings but I do not intend to settle there now since we have some projects that we are still doing back home (hence not applying for family visas until end of the year). I have a lease agreement and another child in addition to other family members that I take care of back home. I have also booked a return flight already with all 3 of us in it.
Question: Will the visa be refused on grounds that I don't have strong ties back home? Am I overthinking it? Can I fail to disclose that I am traveling with them and that they have a British citizenship since they have dual nationalities? not declaring material fact....that will be deception.
You are travelling to UK on a visitor visa with your British husband and child to attend your in person graduation for a course completed in 2021 haven all stayed out of the UK for 2years.
This is not a common situation and IMHO you will have to really try by providing evidence of strong ties to convince the CW to favourably consider the application.

Sysy
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Sysy » Tue May 09, 2023 3:31 pm

Thank you for your reply. What other documents can I use as evidence apart from birth certificates of kids, financial obligations back home, return tickets which I booked well in advance, property I am building with my husband, letter from the university, passport showing that I have never overstayed in any country I have been into? We are just not ready to settle in the UK until end of the year otherwise that would be the easiest visa route for me and our other child. I have an award that I need to receive and that's why this is important for me.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue May 09, 2023 3:31 pm

Sysy wrote:
Hello,

Question: Will the visa be refused on grounds that I don't have strong ties back home? Am I overthinking it? Can I fail to disclose that I am traveling with them and that they have a British citizenship since they have dual nationalities?
There's no reason why you can't apply for and be granted a visitors visa to the UK. However, you are still working remotely in the UK. That is a clearly not allowed on a visitors visa.
There's no telling what details would pop up on the search when they type in your name and NI number.
Deception then comes into play.
Your main family ties are with your nuclear family. They move, you move. You can't claim ties to some extend family back home. I understand that you' d be leaving one child behind. Even that can be interpreted as a strategic chess move.

No simple way to advise in this case, think it thoroughly and go with your gut feelings. Just be aware of the potholes in front.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Sysy
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Sysy » Wed May 10, 2023 7:18 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:31 pm
Sysy wrote:
Hello,

There's no reason why you can't apply for and be granted a visitors visa to the UK. However, you are still working remotely in the UK. That is a clearly not allowed on a visitors visa.
There's no telling what details would pop up on the search when they type in your name and NI number.
Deception then comes into play.
Your main family ties are with your nuclear family. They move, you move. You can't claim ties to some extend family back home. I understand that you' d be leaving one child behind. Even that can be interpreted as a strategic chess move.

No simple way to advise in this case, think it thoroughly and go with your gut feelings. Just be aware of the potholes in front.
Thank you for this. I think I am too far gone in the process as accommodation and flights are booked. I will give them all the facts and leave it to them to decide whether I am worthy of their visa :lol:. The worst they can say is no which is fine. I will see the again in October while applying for the family visa :( :( . Would this refusal (assuming that's the outcome) jeopardize the family visa application?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu May 11, 2023 11:45 am

Thank you for this. I think I am too far gone in the process as accommodation and flights are booked. I will give them all the facts and leave it to them to decide whether I am worthy of their visa :lol:. The worst they can say is no which is fine. I will see the again in October while applying for the family visa :( :( . Would this refusal (assuming that's the outcome) jeopardize the family visa application?
No, it would have no effect on your future spouse visa application.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Sysy
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by Sysy » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:47 am

So small update, I got my passport today (Applied on the 5th June with biometrics following day). Visa approved. I guess I was just overthinking it.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:17 am

Sysy wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:47 am
So small update, I got my passport today (Applied on the 5th June with biometrics following day). Visa approved. I guess I was just overthinking it.
Congratulations and thanks for the update.