ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Up front “ administration fees”

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Up front “ administration fees”

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed May 10, 2023 10:46 pm

There are many unscrupulous sponsors out there praying on the uninformed and / or desperate. The number of migrants being charged an “administration fee” before a COS is issued is becoming an increasingly worrying trend. Some migrants are knowingly buying their COS and that is an entirely different issue, which leads down the path of criminality for the sponsor and the migrant.

My concern is for those that are paying administrative fees before the issue of a COS in the belief the sponsor has legitimate costs to cover. I would think very carefully about paying those fees unless the sponsor properly explains how the fee is arrived at and the precise amounts being charged and for what. Any sponsor that is not willing to demonstrate the fee being charged is highly unlikely to be worth joining. Even more so that if the fee is in the £1000’s.

Sponsors do not have huge costs that have to be paid to issue a COS - £199 - that is it, nothing more. This cost can be passed onto the migrant. Most sponsors do not pass on the cost.

What sponsors are actually doing in the main is passing on the immigration skills charge and that is why amounts of £2000 plus are being charged under the heading “administration fees”. Sponsors are specifically forbidden from passing on the immigration skills charge but are using these so called administration fees as a method to recover their costs.

razergd1
Israel

Re: Up front “ administration fees”

Post by razergd1 » Thu May 11, 2023 7:32 pm

My take on it... If the employer is not willing to pay both his own costs and the employee fees and IHS then the job does not worth it.
I never agreed to pay for my own visa. My first employer during the sponsorship era reimbursed me and the second applied for my visa and ILR.
If the job requires good skill level it worth negotiating who pays the fees at the point of receiving an offer. From my experience many employers are willing to pay part or all the costs.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.
I take no responsibility for following them.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Re: Up front “ administration fees”

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:21 am

The full picture is much worse than the Sky News report- now that the media has pushed the story perhaps more action will take place to prevent the abuse.

https://news.sky.com/story/theres-a-big ... t-12945498