ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Multiple nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

imbik
Mood:
Turkey

Multiple nationality

Post by imbik » Sat May 13, 2023 10:18 am

Hi, I hope some people experienced this before. Basically, I am in the process of applying for the third citizenship for my wife and daughter. They are already Turkish and Bulgarian citizens.

I know British nationality law permits multiple nationality and I have already searched / collected information regarding if Turkey and the EU country approve more than one nationality, yes they do, however it is referred to as "dual citizenship" in both countries not multiple citizenship.

In theory, it shouldn't be a problem because two or three or four eventually means more than one anyway. Additionally, I know some people have 3 passports from 3 different countries ( as most of Turkish people who were born in Bulgaria and living in Europe are already dual citizens). Most of them even do not inform/contact to the authority in other 2 countries not to deal with unexpected/annoying bureaucracy. I know it differs from country to country, nevertheless it may help to hear someone else's experience if there is any in this forum.

By the way, it is gonna cost me a lot, so I divided this into 3 stages (I am not sure if this is the right way to do it but). I applied for myself 2 months ago and waiting for UKVI (only Turkish), within a month I will apply for my wife (already dual citizen) and daughter (who is under 18 and became EU citizen last year as well), then my son will apply who is 23 and became EU citizen along with my daughter. There are lots of passports, documents and details around to consider, and I am already dead tired. Hopefully, I will be able to finish these with no brain damage :)

Thanks for your help
I love science

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Multiple nationality

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 13, 2023 2:22 pm

Multiple citizenship is quite common these days, especially as children normally receive their parents' nationalities (often 2 in one go) plus host country nationality if they qualify through parents' status (i.e. ILR in the UK). Not everyone then applies for passports for all nationalities. But important to check each countries regulations - first before applying for citizenship.

The cost and bureaucratic procedures can be daunting. Not sure what you are actually asking, but in my case I am dual citizen, UK and EU, so it makes sense to have both passports, to maintain free movement. When applying for passports you will or may be asked if you hold any other citizenship which needs to be answered of course and copies of the relevant document provided.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.