ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby Born in UK Parent Indian Passport Skilled visa (PBS) British Citizen ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SamTheGreat
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Baby Born in UK Parent Indian Passport Skilled visa (PBS) British Citizen ?

Post by SamTheGreat » Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am

Hi Guys,

Our baby is born in UK and we have Indian Passport and are on PBS visa. We do not have ILR yet still 3 more years to go. Question Is there a possibility to get British Passport for the baby now ?

1) What I know is that parent or parents have to be on at least ILR for the baby to be British citizen.
2) When baby turns 5 there might be an option for him to get UK citizenship (not sure some one told)
3) If we become UK citizen then we can apply for baby to be UK citizen.

My question if apart from above points is there any other way as in born in UK to get UK citizenship.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Baby Born in UK Parent Indian Passport Skilled visa (PBS) British Citizen ?

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 23, 2023 11:37 am

SamTheGreat wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:32 am
Hi Guys,

Our baby is born in UK and we have Indian Passport and are on PBS visa. We do not have ILR yet still 3 more years to go. Question Is there a possibility to get British Passport for the baby now ? No

1) What I know is that parent or parents have to be on at least ILR for the baby to be British citizen. Yes
2) When baby turns 5 there might be an option for him to get UK citizenship (not sure some one told) Not sure... has "someone" given the source for this?
3) If we become UK citizen then we can apply for baby to be UK citizen. Yes

My question if apart from above points is there any other way as in born in UK to get UK citizenship. No.

Thanks
Why not familiarise yourself with the official UKVI guidance for form MN1: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue May 23, 2023 4:28 pm

SamTheGreat wrote:

Our baby is born in UK and we have Indian Passport and are on PBS visa. We do not have ILR yet still 3 more years to go.
Be aware that free NHS for the baby will end after 3 months, or sooner if the baby exits the UK. The 3 months is to allow the parents to get a visa for the baby and and pay the IHS.

SamTheGreat wrote:
2) When baby turns 5 there might be an option for him to get UK citizenship (not sure some one told)
Are you talking about when Indian citizens used to be able to deliberately make their children stateless, so they could secure stay for themselves in the UK?
If you are, the UK stopped that.
The second to last paragraph here- https://www.khaleejtimes.com/editorials ... l-migrants

or the @secret.simon thread
general-uk-immigration-forum/potential- ... 15998.html

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 23, 2023 9:13 pm

SamTheGreat wrote:
Is there a possibility to get British Passport for the baby now ?
No
SamTheGreat wrote:
1) What I know is that parent or parents have to be on at least ILR for the baby to be British citizen.
Correct.
JB007 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 4:28 pm
SamTheGreat wrote:
Are you talking about when Indian citizens used to be able to deliberately make their children stateless, so they could secure stay for themselves in the UK?
The second to last paragraph here- https://www.khaleejtimes.com/editorials ... l-migrants

Good catch, @JB007, I had forgotten about that now-defunct route.

Children born in the UK can register as British citizens if they have lived in the UK for the first ten years of their lives, with absences of no more than 90 days in each of those ten years.
SamTheGreat wrote:
Don't need to wait for British citizenship. Either one parent acquiring ILR is sufficient for the child to be registered as a British citizen as the child is born in the UK. Rules are different for children born outside the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

SamTheGreat
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by SamTheGreat » Wed May 24, 2023 4:29 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:37 am
SamTheGreat wrote:
Hi Guys,

Our baby is born in UK and we have Indian Passport and are on PBS visa. We do not have ILR yet still 3 more years to go. Question Is there a possibility to get British Passport for the baby now ? No

1) What I know is that parent or parents have to be on at least ILR for the baby to be British citizen. Yes
2) When baby turns 5 there might be an option for him to get UK citizenship (not sure some one told) Not sure... has "someone" given the source for this?
3) If we become UK citizen then we can apply for baby to be UK citizen. Yes

My question if apart from above points is there any other way as in born in UK to get UK citizenship. No.

Thanks
Why not familiarise yourself with the official UKVI guidance for form MN1: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance
Thank you this was helpful.

SamTheGreat
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by SamTheGreat » Wed May 24, 2023 4:33 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:13 pm
SamTheGreat wrote:
No
SamTheGreat wrote:
Correct.
JB007 wrote:
SamTheGreat wrote:

Children born in the UK can register as British citizens if they have lived in the UK for the first ten years of their lives, with absences of no more than 90 days in each of those ten years.
SamTheGreat wrote:
Don't need to wait for British citizenship. Either one parent acquiring ILR is sufficient for the child to be registered as a British citizen as the child is born in the UK. Rules are different for children born outside the UK.
Got it ! In short either the baby has to be in UK for 10 years with absences of no more than 90 days
Or any of the parent get ILR.
This was so helpful Thank you @secret.simon and @JB007

SamTheGreat
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by SamTheGreat » Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 pm

SamTheGreat wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 4:33 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:13 pm
SamTheGreat wrote:
No
SamTheGreat wrote:
Correct.
JB007 wrote:
SamTheGreat wrote:

SamTheGreat wrote:
Got it ! In short either the baby has to be in UK for 10 years with absences of no more than 90 days
Or any of the parent get ILR.
This was so helpful Thank you @secret.simon and @JB007
@secret.simon If we are waiting for our time we spend on skilled worked 5 years to be eligible for ILR does the 90 day rule apply there as well ?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed May 24, 2023 5:27 pm

SamTheGreat wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:23 pm
@secret.simon If we are waiting for our time we spend on skilled worked 5 years to be eligible for ILR does the 90 day rule apply there as well ?
The 90 days per year absence rule does not apply registration as British citizen applications where the child is born in the UK and one of the parents subsequently acquired ILR.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.