ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Smith6079
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Smith6079 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:32 pm

My time line until now

Docs received -07th Sep 2022
Address confirmation - 25th May 2023

boardupdate
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by boardupdate » Fri May 26, 2023 4:23 pm

Update for binky62 and anyone else applying for a passport after receiving their FBR certificate.

In my posts a few pages back I said that I'd sent a notarised colour copy of my FBR certificate as it states on the application form that this is acceptable. I also submitted a notarised copy of my UK passport (both notarised by the Post Office). I have just received an email saying they require the original certificate and they want the copy of my passport to be signed by my witness :(

It seems like it might be the luck of the draw which team you get as to what documentation they will accept or not. Seemingly a copy of your certificate should be acceptable as should a certified copy of your passport.

Paddy399
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Paddy399 » Sat May 27, 2023 12:52 am

Paddy399 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 10:46 pm
The application from hell continues:

Application submitted 13/10/20
Documents received 18/12/20
Address confirmation email 16/11/22

Email FBR for update 20/3/23 (no reply)
Called FBR 9/5/23 They told me to email the same address I did in March.
Email apologizing for the delay 17/5/23

It has now been 31 months. All I can do is wait.
The wait from hell is finally over! I received a second email asking to verify my address, and few more emails back and forth and I received the congratulations email 23/5/23.

The wait is terrible, but it’s worth it. Thank you to everyone for your help and support and good luck to everyone still waiting.

For the record, we waited 2 years, 7 months and 10 days…

martinhiggins
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by martinhiggins » Sun May 28, 2023 3:29 pm

I've finally got my FBR certificate. I live in Colombia and the embassy here in Bogota emailed me last week to say i could pick it up directly from there, which I did on Friday.

Here were my dates:

Application date: 1 October 2021
Documents deceived: 21 October 2021
Address check: 21 December 2022
Congratulations email (from Bogota Embassy, not DFA): 23 May 2023
FBR Certificate collected from Bogota Embassy: 26 May 2023

Interestingly enough, the date on the certificate on which I was entered in to the registry was the 26 February 2023, so I get the feeling that my certificate has been sitting around somewhere (either in Dublin of Bogota) for quite a while. I wrote various emails to the embassy, the person handling my application and the urgent enquiries address in the past few months with very little response, so who knows what happened there.

Anyway, it's done and onto the passport application now...

Trvlkat
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Trvlkat » Sun May 28, 2023 3:35 pm

Finally approved! My dates are below. Thanks to everyone for posting their timelines and situations; it was nice knowing that even though it was a slow process, it was moving. On to the passport process next!

Application: 15/11/21
Docs Received: 21/12/21
Add. Docs Requested: 06/01/23
ADs Received: 16/01/23
Address Check: 27/04/23
Congratulations: 25/05/23

okcomputer
Newly Registered
American Samoa

Post by okcomputer » Mon May 29, 2023 1:07 pm

It’s great reading about all the approvals. Thanks to everyone for posting their timelines. It really helps the newbies like me. I notice most people were asked for more docs along the way. Does anyone get through without a request for more docs or are they really picky about everything? They could probably make the checklists a bit clearer imho.

boardupdate
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by boardupdate » Mon May 29, 2023 2:02 pm

okcomputer wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 1:07 pm
It’s great reading about all the approvals. Thanks to everyone for posting their timelines. It really helps the newbies like me. I notice most people were asked for more docs along the way. Does anyone get through without a request for more docs or are they really picky about everything? They could probably make the checklists a bit clearer imho.
My FBR application was just under 11 months from them receiving my documents to me receiving my certificate. Mine was a straightforward application and I had all relevant documents. Getting my passport seems to be a bit trickier as they are definitely being picky (see above).

Trvlkat
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Trvlkat » Mon May 29, 2023 2:18 pm

boardupdate wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:02 pm
okcomputer wrote:
My FBR application was just under 11 months from them receiving my documents to me receiving my certificate. Mine was a straightforward application and I had all relevant documents. Getting my passport seems to be a bit trickier as they are definitely being picky (see above).

My additional documents were the marriage certificates. I had sent the church certificates instead of the legal marriage licenses. Mistake on my part, really. Hope all goes well with your process!

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:36 pm
Got the congratulations email today! This will thus be my penultimate update (ultimate update will be when certificate physically in hand).

As a reminder, I applied for FBR for my son when he was three months old and thus by the time they began processing his application his photos were too old (photos for those under the age of two must be from within the last six months). I submitted updated photos and then had radio silence for a long time.

Application submitted online: February 14th, 2021
Documents mailed: April 13th, 2021
Documents received in Ireland: April 26th, 2021 (according to the United States Postal Service tracking system; I never received any confirmation from the Irish authorities)
Email request for updated photos of infant child: November 29th, 2022
Updated photos sent by mail to FBR staff: November 30th, 2022
Confirmation of address email: April 17th, 2023
Congratulations/approval email: May 17th, 2023 (today!)
Now for the ultimate update: got the certificate in hand! We were on vacation all of last week so not sure exactly when it arrived. Couldn't have arrived today (May 29th) since it's a postal holiday in the United States (Memorial Day).

Oddly enough, it says signature required on the envelope but the postal service here just dropped it off in our mailbox like regular mail.

Now on to the passport application!

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Mon May 29, 2023 11:00 pm

Posted the following as a separate thread, but also want to post here for people who only follow this thread:

My two year old son just recently became an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration. I now have his FBR certificate in hand. We live in the United States.

Today I filled in his passport application online for a first time child passport, uploaded an acceptable photo, and paid the fee. I was then directed to print a cover page and guardian consent document.

Surprisingly, the cover page says to only send the following three things:

1) His FBR certificate (or notarized copy)
2) His foreign birth certificate
3) The completed guardianship consent form

That's it. No requirement to prove our address, no requirement to prove my identity as his parent, no request for our marriage certificate, and no request for my son's foreign passport.

I am very confused since these forums have lots of posts alluding to having to send in some of the aforementioned forms and documents.

Am I missing something? Did the process change recently?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue May 30, 2023 9:41 am

boardupdate wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 2:02 pm
okcomputer wrote:
Nice to see at least some folks getting back to pre-Covid and pre Brexit timelines of under a year! Congrats!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Tue May 30, 2023 9:56 am

FrozenTundra wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:00 pm
Posted the following as a separate thread, but also want to post here for people who only follow this thread:

My two year old son just recently became an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration. I now have his FBR certificate in hand. We live in the United States.

Today I filled in his passport application online for a first time child passport, uploaded an acceptable photo, and paid the fee. I was then directed to print a cover page and guardian consent document.

That's it. No requirement to prove our address, no requirement to prove my identity as his parent, no request for our marriage certificate, and no request for my son's foreign passport.

I am very confused since these forums have lots of posts alluding to having to send in some of the aforementioned forms and documents.

Did you receive your citizenship through the FBR as well?
IIRC correctly, when applying for my son's first US passport they didn't require any proof of address for his, but they did require ID of the parents. It's a little strange, but the cover page should be accurate, I would just send what they ask for.

I'm sure someone on here has applied relatively recently for a child tho, hopefully they'll chime in for you.

MisterHiggins
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by MisterHiggins » Tue May 30, 2023 3:20 pm

MisterHiggins wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm
Long time lurker here. Thanks to everyone who has shared intel and kept us informed with dates and the like. Just had my congrats email through this morning, so thought I'd add in my dates.

Application submitted: 08/07/2022
Application received: 04/08/2022
Address check: 23/04/2023
Congratulations email: 19/05/2023

Timelines are definitely improving - that's just over 10 months! Best of luck to everyone still waiting. 🤞
Final update on this. Certificate and returned documents arrived today (30/05/2023). Although the congratulations email states that "your application will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope", mine was simply stuck through my letterbox (the envelope is labelled tracked / registered). Cheers Royal Mail. 😉

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Tue May 30, 2023 6:59 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:56 am
IIRC correctly, when applying for my son's first US passport they didn't require any proof of address for his, but they did require ID of the parents. It's a little strange, but the cover page should be accurate, I would just send what they ask for.

I'm sure someone on here has applied relatively recently for a child tho, hopefully they'll chime in for you.
I'm not an Irish citizen at all actually, my wife is the Irish citizen (we're both US citizens as well). My wife has Irish citizenship automatically through her father who was born in Ireland. So our son is the first generation to be on the FBR (citizenship through my wife's father)

Very strange as to how little documentation they are asking. I tried using the Passport Service webchat but it's always down. I tried calling the phone number listed on their website but it is either busy or fails to go through at all. So no way for me to contact them.

It may be the fact that my wife has had Irish passports her entire life (ever since she was an infant). Maybe that makes them relax the requirements a bit?

I'm inclined to just follow the cover page and submit only what little they are asking of me. The system actually sent me an email as well and the documents listed in the email mirror the cover page. So looks like I'll just send in 4 things (cover page, son's US birth certificate, son's FBR certificate, and the completed identity and consent form). We'll see what happens!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed May 31, 2023 2:17 am

FrozenTundra wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:59 pm
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:56 am

I'm not an Irish citizen at all actually, my wife is the Irish citizen (we're both US citizens as well). My wife has Irish citizenship automatically through her father who was born in Ireland. So our son is the first generation to be on the FBR (citizenship through my wife's father)

Very strange as to how little documentation they are asking. I tried using the Passport Service webchat but it's always down. I tried calling the phone number listed on their website but it is either busy or fails to go through at all. So no way for me to contact them.

It may be the fact that my wife has had Irish passports her entire life (ever since she was an infant). Maybe that makes them relax the requirements a bit?

I'm inclined to just follow the cover page and submit only what little they are asking of me. The system actually sent me an email as well and the documents listed in the email mirror the cover page. So looks like I'll just send in 4 things (cover page, son's US birth certificate, son's FBR certificate, and the completed identity and consent form). We'll see what happens!
Ah, yea I'd say just send what they ask for. Once they process it, if they need an extra document they'll request it then. I'd assume your little boy doesn't have any urgent travel plans? he's not a famous toddler TikTok celebrity is he? ;)

Hurley808
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Hurley808 » Wed May 31, 2023 6:56 am

Hello,

I applied on/submitted email: 23/08/2022
Documents received: 12/09/2022

Still no word back, I’m afraid maybe they did send me another email but I deleted it. but everyone says they send an Address confirmation, is this true? Truly nervous I’m hoping to hear back soon since it will be 9 months soon

wtftodo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wtftodo » Wed May 31, 2023 12:08 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:00 pm

I also applied recently for Irish passports for both kids, as soon as the FBR certs arrived. I too was surprised by how few documents they required but apparently they've tried to streamline the process. I assume as I have an irish passport and could enter the details they can cross check their end. I was nervous about sending a notarised copy of the FBR cert as I've seen people told they need to send the original, even recently; I did get it photocopied though in case the originals vanish in the post.
Passport timeline:
17th May - applied online
23rd May - documents posted
31st May - documents still "leaving the UK" according to royal mail tracking....

Smith6079
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Smith6079 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:11 pm

Hurley808 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:56 am
Hello,

Still no word back, I’m afraid maybe they did send me another email but I deleted it. but everyone says they send an Address confirmation, is this true? Truly nervous I’m hoping to hear back soon since it will be 9 months soon
I think they are just starting the Sept ones. I'm sure it's in the pile

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Tickets » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:58 pm

Hi can somebody tell me please if someone body needs to be home to sign for fbr certificate and documents or will it just be posted through door as me and my partner work full time ?

vegetablemention
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by vegetablemention » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:57 pm

Long time lurking, this community has been so helpful though!

My timeline so far:
Docs received: 07/09/22
Address confirmation: 01/06/23

Will update again when things progress again.

vegetablemention
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by vegetablemention » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:01 pm

Hurley808 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:56 am
Hello,

I heard from them today (01/06/23), my docs received date was 07/09/22. I think you'll hear from them soon!

Tickets
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Tickets » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:51 am

Hi can someone tell me if I will need to sign for my documents ?

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:12 am

Tickets wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:51 am
In the UK, probably not. I havent had to sign for mail in a few years now. Including all FBR stuff & passport/passport documents.

Legskinner
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by Legskinner » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:20 pm

Tickets wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:51 am
I received my FBR certificate several weeks ago in Denver, Colorado. The FBR was delivered by USPS tracked mail.
I wasnt home and USPS left a note on my door saying I would have to sign or designate someone to sign for me. I left USPS a message that my daughter would pick it up at the post office following day and she picked it up no problem. Thats my USA experience.

AngloIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AngloIrish » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:25 pm

boardupdate wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:23 pm
Update for binky62 and anyone else applying for a passport after receiving their FBR certificate.

In my posts a few pages back I said that I'd sent a notarised colour copy of my FBR certificate as it states on the application form that this is acceptable. I also submitted a notarised copy of my UK passport (both notarised by the Post Office). I have just received an email saying they require the original certificate and they want the copy of my passport to be signed by my witness :(

It seems like it might be the luck of the draw which team you get as to what documentation they will accept or not. Seemingly a copy of your certificate should be acceptable as should a certified copy of your passport.
Hello, I’m in the same boat, however mine was certified as a true copy by a solicitor. It appears that they are quite specific about who can certify the FBR certificate.

Quoting from the passport application email:

Applicant's Foreign Births Registration certificate (we will also accept a colour copy of Foreign Birth Registration Certificate, certified as a true copy of the original by a solicitor or notary public)

So I think you can send a copy of the FBR certificate but only if specifically done by a solicitor or notary public. My solicitor charged me £10 for 3 documents.

Still waiting on mine to be processed so I’ll update the thread on whether or not it’s accepted. I really don’t want to risk losing the FBR certificate given how difficult they are to replace and how unreliable mail can be.