ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is a newborn's passport required for a parent to get his/her ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gskolhe
Newly Registered
India

Is a newborn's passport required for a parent to get his/her ILR

Post by gskolhe » Wed May 31, 2023 1:10 pm

On Indian passport now and eligible for ILR Long Residency. Yet to apply for newborn's passport. Hoping to apply for my ILR first and then apply for newborn's British passport directly instead of applying for an Indian passport. Is this possible? Or does the newborn need to have an Indian passport first? The documents required for my ILR application say - Document(s) showing your child / children's immigration status such as passports, biometric residence cards, or vignettes. Will my ILR application go through without my newborn's passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Is a newborn's passport required for a parent to get his/her ILR

Post by CR001 » Wed May 31, 2023 1:22 pm

Long residence ilr does not require any documents relevant to your spouse or children.

Presumably your child is UK born. The child does not need an Indian passport to be able to register as British in form MN1 once either parent has ilr. The child cannot apply directly for a British passport once you get ilr. Only a British citizen can apply for a passport. Your child is not British yet and you have to register your child as British first and once approved and you receive the certificate, then apply for a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed May 31, 2023 2:19 pm

Adding to what Char already said, the long residence ILR has nothing to do with your partner/children as you must qualify on your own and their status is not relevant. The confusion is often because the document list on that form is not accurate
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

gskolhe
Newly Registered
India

Post by gskolhe » Wed May 31, 2023 2:59 pm

Thank you for the clarity.