ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Redundant by current employer, delay in new CoS

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sb21
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Redundant by current employer, delay in new CoS

Post by sb21 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:46 pm

Hi,

I was employed by company X. They sponsored my visa along with my family and it's valid until January 2025. Now they made me redundant few months back and gave me 3 months notice which is coming to an end on 15th June. Meanwhile I got a job offer from company Y and they applied for new CoS more than a month back. I know there's a 18 week worst case turn around time.

My questions -

1. How long can I stay legally after 15th June considering my ex-employer is cancelling my CoS?

2. What will happen to my dependent's visa in case I get the new CoS after 15th June?

3. Should I prepare to travel out of country and then come back with new visa for both me and dependent?

4. Any was to get new CoS faster or ask ex employer NOT to cancel my CoS immediately?

Regards,
S

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Redundant by current employer, delay in new CoS

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:44 pm

1. How long can I stay legally after 15th June considering my ex-employer is cancelling my CoS?
Your employer does not have the authority to cancel your visa. All they have to do is inform UKVI that you are no long employed and being sponsored by them. Only UKVI can curtail or cancel your visa. Curtailment letters can take a few months. You will be given 60 days in the letter to either apply for another visa or leave the UK.
2. What will happen to my dependent's visa in case I get the new CoS after 15th June?
Same as you, visas will be curtailed by UKVI. Their visas are dependent on YOU, not your sponsor. If your visa is cancelled/curtailed by UKVI, then theirs will be too.
3. Should I prepare to travel out of country and then come back with new visa for both me and dependent?
No, you can apply within the UK. Until your visa is curtailed by UKVI, it remains valid. You simply are not permitted to work until you have your new visa.
4. Any was to get new CoS faster or ask ex employer NOT to cancel my CoS immediately?
No and No. Your current employer is bound by the UKVI rules as a sponsor. Note, they do NOT 'cancel' your CoS, they simply inform UKVI of the event and withdraw sponsorship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sb21
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Redundant by current employer, delay in new CoS

Post by sb21 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:49 am

Hi CR001,

Thanks for your response. No offence but can you show any official documentation by any chance regarding your answers? I'm stressed and worried, so if there is a government guideline about this then it'll put my mind at ease.

Regards,
S