ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status (new passport)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sp84

Settled Status (new passport)

Post by sp84 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 am

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.

My wife is a US citizen with settled status.

Her passport recently expired and she has received her new one and went through the process of updating it on the Home Office website. (She still has her old/expired passport).

We are due to travel to the US in a few weeks and return again at the end of July (through Heathrow).

If the Home Office does not update her information before then ... Is she still able to travel, so long as she brings her Residence Card, new passport AND old passport?

Many thanks!

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Settled Status (new passport)

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:38 am

sp84 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 am
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.

Her passport recently expired and she has received her new one and went through the process of updating it on the Home Office website. (She still has her old/expired passport).

We are due to travel to the US in a few weeks and return again at the end of July (through Heathrow).

If the Home Office does not update her information before then ... Is she still able to travel, so long as she brings her Residence Card, new passport AND old passport?

Many thanks!
She doesn't need her old passport. She might not even need to talk to anyone at POE. She can just use the E-gates and be off on her way. If she needs to talk to anyone, then she just needs to show her RC and new passport.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:43 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:38 am
sp84 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.

Many thanks!
She doesn't need her old passport. She might not even need to talk to anyone at POE. She can just use the E-gates and be off on her way. If she needs to talk to anyone, then she just needs to show her RC and new passport.
Wow really! It's been a few years since we have went through Heathrow - I assumed that those travelling on non-British or non-Irish passports would have to speak to an immigration official! Especially from a flight arriving from an international destination!

I've yet to use the e-gates.

I did read on the 3million, that updating your passport is recommended, but not compulsory. We will be travelling with 2 small children, so I'm hoping for as little issues at POE as possible.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:41 am

sp84 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:43 pm
Ticktack wrote:
sp84 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.

Many thanks!
Wow really! It's been a few years since we have went through Heathrow - I assumed that those travelling on non-British or non-Irish passports would have to speak to an immigration official! Especially from a flight arriving from an international destination!

I did read on the 3million, that updating your passport is recommended, but not compulsory. We will be travelling with 2 small children, so I'm hoping for as little issues at POE as possible.
Because you'd be travelling with 2 small children, you can't use the E-gates. You can still pass through the British, Irish, EU, US, Australia line, but you'd need to see an immigration officer.

The previous advice still doesn't change.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

sp84

Post by sp84 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:47 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:41 am
sp84 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:43 pm
Ticktack wrote:
sp84 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question.

Many thanks!

Because you'd be travelling with 2 small children, you can't use the E-gates. You can still pass through the British, Irish, EU, US, Australia line, but you'd need to see an immigration officer.

The previous advice still doesn't change.
Ah ok! I figured we would talk to someone.

So no point stressing then? I had just heard of people with residency cards running into difficulty when passing through immigration (as the system hadn't updated/linked to their new passport yet). Hence why I was wondering if bringing along her expired passport would also be worth our while.