ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Old BCR about to expire

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dialectic

Old BCR about to expire

Post by dialectic » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:23 am

Hi. Just to enquire about the following:

Currently holding pre settled status (expiring in 2025) as a non EU family member. However I have been traveling with my old BRC which shows an expiry date of July 2023

Applied for settlement status in early May (as soon as I became eligible) and received COA right away. However, no word from them afterwards so far ..

My plan was to apply for a physical card once the settled status was approved. However, it's taking longer than what I expected. So wondering what is the best option at this point to travel since requesting a card that shows my pre settled status seems not very practical with a settled status application already submitted.

Thanks a lot 🙏

Ixeon659
Latvia

Re: Old BCR about to expire

Post by Ixeon659 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:20 pm

It doesn't matter what your BRC shows (pre-settlement or settlement) because UK immigration officers will see your proper digital status online. If you need to travel, you will need this card (unless you are visa-free national). Also BRC/BRP cards will cease to exist in the end of next year

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:21 pm

Ok, so the advice is to get a card showing a 'pre-settled' status regardless of whether a 'settled' application is pending in order to travel?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:23 pm

dialectic wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:21 pm
Ok, so the advice is to get a card showing a 'pre-settled' status regardless of whether a 'settled' application is pending in order to travel?
Basically, yes.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:51 am

Thanks for the replies

So. I have just been granted Settled Status. The official letter states:

If you do not currently hold a valid biometric residence card, you should receive your biometric residence card within 10 working days of the date of this letter. A leaflet will accompany the card which will give you more information about it.
If you do not receive the card within 15 working days of the date of this letter or you find a mistake on your card, please report this using the service at www.gov.uk/brp.

So, question 1 - I reckon because my old BRC is expired / about to expire I will get this card in a couple weeks time?

Question 2 - My wife was granted settled status a while ago. However, she would like a BRC as well. When travelling from places like south america we've been asked to produce physical evidence when flying from there to the UK. Which is the right link to apply for this?

Thanks so much!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:57 am

Is your wife an EU citizen? In that case, I believe that they are no longer issued a BRC, as their EU passport should suffice for getting to the UK border.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:07 am

dialectic wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:51 am
So, question 1 - I reckon because my old BRC is expired / about to expire I will get this card in a couple weeks time?
If by the time you applied it was still valid, then no, you will not receive a new card automatically.
Question 2 - My wife was granted settled status a while ago. However, she would like a BRC as well. When travelling from places like south america we've been asked to produce physical evidence when flying from there to the UK. Which is the right link to apply for this?
As @secret.simon says, it depends wether she is a EU national or not. Physical evidence of residence should never be asked to EU nationals, a passport should suffice. Incidents have happened in Europe where untrained airline staff of low cost airlines have asked the impossible: residence cards to EU nationals. That caused quite a stir at the time because such thing does not exist and cannot be produced!
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.