ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Coachman » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:30 pm

sophieluella wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:00 pm
Hi all,

Just curious, does anyone know a rough timeline from receiving the address confirmation email to getting the congratulations email? I received the address confirmation email exactly a month ago and nothing since, I was interested to see what timelines others have had with this so I know (hopefully!) when to expect the email.

Thank you!
Seems to me it's within 4-8 weeks notwithstanding any asks for new documents. I'm in a similar holding pattern. My address confirmation was May 19.

sophieluella
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophieluella » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:01 am

Coachman wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:30 pm
Seems to me it's within 4-8 weeks notwithstanding any asks for new documents. I'm in a similar holding pattern. My address confirmation was May 19.
Thank you, this is helpful! Fingers crossed for a congrats email soon for us both :D

I’m going to Ireland at the end of July to see family and I think I was being ambitious hoping I’d have my passport in hand by then, hopefully won’t be too far off though.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:18 am

sophieluella wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:01 am
Coachman wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:30 pm
Thank you, this is helpful! Fingers crossed for a congrats email soon for us both :D

I’m going to Ireland at the end of July to see family and I think I was being ambitious hoping I’d have my passport in hand by then, hopefully won’t be too far off though.
Unfortunately, no chance imo. It's summer plus naturalization has just happened - backlog for Passport Office is going to be huge and they already take a month and a bit.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sophieluella
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophieluella » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:43 am

meself2 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:18 am
Unfortunately, no chance imo. It's summer plus naturalization has just happened - backlog for Passport Office is going to be huge and they already take a month and a bit.
That’s fair enough and makes sense, I didn’t realise there was a passport thread (I’m new here but been lurking for a while) so thanks for linking it, it’ll come in handy.

sophieluella
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sophieluella » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:13 pm

Just this moment I’ve had my congrats email :D exactly a month after I had my address check. Here’s my FBR timeline in case it’s of any interest/help to anyone:

Application submitted online: May 2022
Supporting docs sent: 27/08/2022
Docs received email: 31/08/2022
Address check email: 23/05/2023
Congrats email: 20/06/2023

I can’t remember for the life of me when I submitted my online application but it took me a while to get all the documents gathered and I wasn’t rushing at the time. Hope it won’t take too long to get everything sent back now, Royal Mail has been shocking recently.

Very happy to come full circle in under a year, especially as the wait time was over 2 years when I submitted my docs. Now to tackle the passport process! Good luck everyone.

Smith6079
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Smith6079 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:58 pm

I seem to be a fortunate applicant.

Docs received - 07Sep2023
Address confirmation- 25 May 2023
Congrats email - 20June2023

Spreadsheet updated

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi Congrats

Did you apply from the UK ?

To everyone where i can find the spreadsheet Anyone ?

Cheers
Smith6079 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Spreadsheet updated

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:34 pm

Did you get a certified translation ? My proofs of address are in spanish too
Shord wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:42 pm
Hi everyone,

One question. I am planning to submit my application for the FBR soon but as I live in Spain my proof of address is in Spanish e.g bank and proof of address from local council. Is this ok or should I get it translated?

Smith6079
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Smith6079 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:32 pm

teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:28 pm
Hi Congrats

Cheers
Smith6079 wrote:

Spreadsheet updated
Thanks, yes from the UK.

Spreadsheet

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:37 pm

Cheers :mrgreen:
Smith6079 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:32 pm
teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:28 pm
Hi Congrats

Cheers
Smith6079 wrote:

Spreadsheet updated
Thanks, yes from the UK.

Spreadsheet

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:46 pm

I am bit confused with proof of address requirement details Anyone knows better please?

The applicant : My baby is 2 months old.

Documents relating to the applicant (unless stated, originals must be submitted)

[ ] 2 separate original proofs of address

I am not sure i understand this .

On the webpage it says the parent should submit proof of address however the FBR form is not asking the irish dads proof of address.

jimmygiii
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by jimmygiii » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:18 pm

If either you or the Father was born in Ireland then Foreign Birth Registration is unnecessary as your baby is considered an Irish citizen. You can go straight to the Passport process. If you or the Father is also an Irish citizen via Foreign Birth Registration then the child will need to also be added via the FBR process. I believe they are looking for the current address of the child and custodial parent proof of the same address. Hope this helps.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:34 pm

teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:46 pm
I am bit confused with proof of address requirement details Anyone knows better please?

Documents relating to the applicant (unless stated, originals must be submitted)
On the webpage it says the parent should submit proof of address however the FBR form is not asking the irish dads proof of address.
Under the many sections I believe this one applies to you/spouse: Minor applicant whose parent is an Irish citizen through Naturalisation.
•Letter from school, family doctor or other relevant source on headed paper which includes the minor’s address.(translated to English/Irish)

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:33 am

Exactly my only doubt was whether i need to provide my own proof of address additionally or not .

Cheers
Mr_Knight wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:34 pm
teranos wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:46 pm

Under the many sections I believe this one applies to you/spouse: Minor applicant whose parent is an Irish citizen through Naturalisation.
•Letter from school, family doctor or other relevant source on headed paper which includes the minor’s address.(translated to English/Irish)

teranos
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by teranos » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:38 am

Cheers

Yes i am naturalized!
I wanted to clarify the confusion : because proofs of address are in my partners name in Mexico , all my banking and stuff are in Europe. I wanted to know if i still need to provide proof of address in my name: to create some accounts there.

jimmygiii wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:18 pm
If either you or the Father was born in Ireland then Foreign Birth Registration is unnecessary as your baby is considered an Irish citizen. You can go straight to the Passport process. If you or the Father is also an Irish citizen via Foreign Birth Registration then the child will need to also be added via the FBR process. I believe they are looking for the current address of the child and custodial parent proof of the same address. Hope this helps.

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:02 am

teranos wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:38 am
I wanted to clarify the confusion : because proofs of address are in my partners name in Mexico , all my banking and stuff are in Europe. I wanted to know if i still need to provide proof of address in my name: to create some accounts there.
Yes proof of address for the minor AND proof of address for the parent from whom citizenship will be derived. Which is weird because the address for the minor will almost always be the same as the parent.

AngloIrish
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by AngloIrish » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:08 pm

I can confirm that a solicitor colour copied and certified copy of the FBR was accepted for passport application purposes.

I hope this helps some of you who like me are reluctant to send the original document for fear of it being lost.

Vincent10z
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Vincent10z » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:34 pm

I am applying for my FBR, but I wanted to make sure that I am applying the correct way.

My Nan was born in Castlebar, Ireland

My father was born in Liverpool, England

My father just received his Irish passport and obviously, he did not have to get an FBR, but I want to know for sure that the way I apply is for an FBR under my Nan as my "parent".

Also, will they accept notarized copies of my Nans birth certificate and marriage certificate?

Thanks!

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:53 pm

Vincent10z wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:34 pm
I am applying for my FBR, but I wanted to make sure that I am applying the correct way.
My Nan was born in Castlebar, Ireland
My father was born in Liverpool, England
My father just received his Irish passport and obviously, he did not have to get an FBR, but I want to know for sure that the way I apply is for an FBR under my Nan as my "parent".
Also, will they accept notarized copies of my Nans birth certificate and marriage certificate?
Thanks!
Under the section "Please indicate the citizenship category to which the applicant’s PARENT belongs"
You would select "Born abroad to a parent born in Ireland"
Also birth/marriage certificates should be originals ordered from GRO index online.

nisi
Ireland

Post by nisi » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:09 pm

Vincent10z wrote:
I wouldn't waste money getting a notarized copy, that's likely to cost more than just ordering another original birth and marriage certificate from the Irish state. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/b ... rtificate/

You'll also need Birth certificates for your father and yourself, again I wouldn't bother with notarized copies of those, instead you can get new certificates from the GRO at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... /login.asp but to do that you'll probably need to look up the GRO reference number from https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

nisi
Ireland

Post by nisi » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:14 pm

Vincent10z wrote:
No. On the online application form there are 3 pages, one each for your details, your parent's details, and your grandparent's details. So you would give your Nan as your Grandparent, and your father as your parent, and provide all the relevant birth certificates, etc for all three of your parent and grandparent and yourself.

vegetablemention
Newly Registered
Nepal

Post by vegetablemention » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:06 pm

What a joy to be Irish!
Huge thanks to this community.

Docs received: 07/09/22
Address confirmation: 01/06/23
Congratulations email: 22/06/23

Best of luck to all. On to the passport!

ciscokid
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ciscokid » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:46 am

Just thought I would add in my timelines for interest sake.
I am a South African and have an Irish Passport through the FBR my Mum did for me back in '86
My 2 daughters were born in the UK and we moved back to SA in 2010.
With Brexit I decided to apply for the FBR for both of them - Basically to give them options when they leave home (and perhaps to be able register their children when the time comes)

My time lines are:

Online Application Completed (for both) 30th June 2021
(Could not send physical documents as FBR was closed due to Covid Restrictions)

Physical Documents sent to FBR Department Ireland 15th August 2022
Documents Received by FBR Department Ireland 22nd August 2022
Address confirmation from FBR 15th May 2023
Congrats email (Still Waiting)

I have not been asked to submit any further documentation, so holding thumbs :)

I see people who submitted after me have received their congrats emails so convincing myself that I had to submit for 2 mine is taking a little longer :D

Coachman
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Coachman » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:27 pm

ciscokid wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:46 am
Just thought I would add in my timelines for interest sake.
I am a South African and have an Irish Passport through the FBR my Mum did for me back in '86
My 2 daughters were born in the UK and we moved back to SA in 2010.
With Brexit I decided to apply for the FBR for both of them - Basically to give them options when they leave home (and perhaps to be able register their children when the time comes)

My time lines are:

Online Application Completed (for both) 30th June 2021
(Could not send physical documents as FBR was closed due to Covid Restrictions)

Physical Documents sent to FBR Department Ireland 15th August 2022
Documents Received by FBR Department Ireland 22nd August 2022
Address confirmation from FBR 15th May 2023
Congrats email (Still Waiting)

I have not been asked to submit any further documentation, so holding thumbs :)

I see people who submitted after me have received their congrats emails so convincing myself that I had to submit for 2 mine is taking a little longer :D
Mine took a few more weeks more than others around my documentation received date. It had me wondering too and then I got the email. I hope yours is soon too.

ciscokid
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by ciscokid » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:23 pm

Thanks Coachman for the feedback. Gives me more confidence that I should be hearing soon.
Much appreciated !