ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport taken off at the Citizenship Ceremony

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HappyDuck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Passport taken off at the Citizenship Ceremony

Post by HappyDuck » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:37 pm

Hi, I've attended the Citizenship Ceremony last Tuesday and realized later that they had taken my passport off me, just wondering if that's standard or if others still have their passports.

My second question if anyone knows is how long does it usually take for the Citizenship Certificate to be sent? 4 weeks maybe?

Thanks

White_Pearl
Ireland

Re: Passport taken off at the Citizenship Ceremony

Post by White_Pearl » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:43 pm

They dont take passports off anybody. Its just for identity check.

Nala2021
Greece

Post by Nala2021 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:29 am

HappyDuck wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:37 pm
Hi, I've attended the Citizenship Ceremony last Tuesday and realized later that they had taken my passport off me, just wondering if that's standard or if others still have their passports.

My second question if anyone knows is how long does it usually take for the Citizenship Certificate to be sent? 4 weeks maybe?

Thanks
Are you saying that an official in the ceremony (who was checking ID) has taken your passport, and you never got it back at that moment? That your passport is still with that official, or in INEC, or at least, not with you since then?

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:52 am

I recall on the day as the ceremony was under way the presenter announced there was a passport left behind at check-in and the person should return to get it. Shame they did not call out the person’s name (GDPR madness no doubt why they did not) when they announced it!

At this point I would email the citizenship unit and let them know of your situation.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:12 am

HappyDuck wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:37 pm
Last time it was around a month, but Dublin ceremony is a smaller one - ight take way longer now with so many applicants.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

luxurylemon
Ireland

Post by luxurylemon » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:48 pm

Was the Dublin ceremony the first time they sent the certificates by post after the ceremony? Excluding those over covid I know they had to post those, but the Dublin one in March was the first larger scale ceremony where they posted out after the fact?

I think it could either take longer because of a larger ceremony, or maybe possibly quicker because they ironed out any kinks?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:52 pm

luxurylemon wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:48 pm
Was the Dublin ceremony the first time they sent the certificates by post after the ceremony? Excluding those over covid I know they had to post those, but the Dublin one in March was the first larger scale ceremony where they posted out after the fact?

I think it could either take longer because of a larger ceremony, or maybe possibly quicker because they ironed out any kinks?
Basically, yes, before they were handing the certificates on the ceremony day.
I'd assume it'll take longer - there's much more demand to print it out and I wouldn't expect them to have a lot of printing capacity.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

HappyDuck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by HappyDuck » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:49 am

I've emailed the Citizenship department explaining my situation and this was their reply:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email. Please be advised your Irish Travel Document has to be surrendered once you receive your Irish citizenship.
However, I can't apply for a first time Irish passport without a travel document or passport. I originally held an Irish travel document because I was born stateless (not a refugee) and had no nationality.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:09 am

HappyDuck wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:49 am
I've emailed the Citizenship department explaining my situation and this was their reply:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email. Please be advised your Irish Travel Document has to be surrendered once you receive your Irish citizenship.
However, I can't apply for a first time Irish passport without a travel document or passport. I originally held an Irish travel document because I was born stateless (not a refugee) and had no nationality.
Your other option is to report it lost or stolen and wait until a new travel document is issued after which you can apply for your Irish passport?

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/lost-stole ... storstolen

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:11 am

HappyDuck wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:49 am
Dear Sir/Madam,

They do have to take travel document off you - you were supposed to mail it back once you received approval (see your approval letter), so there should be processes in place for this kind of situation. Reach out to DFA (they deal with passports) and see what they say - you will probably have to attach an affidavit of some sort that you're stateless.
shpirtshqipe wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:09 am

Your other option is to report it lost or stolen and wait until a new travel document is issued after which you can apply for your Irish passport?

https://www.dfa.ie/passports/lost-stole ... storstolen
Not a good idea - OP is Irish now, technically, so can't have a travel document, as it's given to non nationals.

HappyDuck
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by HappyDuck » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:10 am

Update:

The Citizenship department confirmed that I shouldn't need any travel document or passport to apply for an Irish Passport and that my Irish travel document was intentionally taken off me as part of their process.

I'll just supply as many forms of ID that I can provide and maybe attach a letter explaining that to the passport department when applying.

Thanks everyone!