ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel abroad week after the citizenship ceremony

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

irenciya
Newly Registered
Ireland

Travel abroad week after the citizenship ceremony

Post by irenciya » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:06 pm

Hi guys!

I just have a quick question re travel abroad week after the ceremony. In short, I have attended the ceremony last Monday and have to travel abroad for 2 weeks. Can I still use my IRP card? Or do I need to apply for a re entry visa?

Thanks so much in advance!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Travel abroad week after the citizenship ceremony

Post by meself2 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:20 pm

Going with your IRP should be fine - carriers will let you on board and you can explain it at the Irish border if needs be.
Share your experience afterwards!
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

sairsint
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by sairsint » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:41 pm

Is it still valid for your return date? If so, it would function in the same way if you traveled before the ceremony. Until you have your certificate or Irish passport, this is the only proof you have to show that you're a permanent resident.

irenciya
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by irenciya » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:53 pm

Guys, thanks so much!

I will keep you posted 😊

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:27 pm

It is technically not valid any more, but your airline does not need to know that. :)

Bring a copy of your naturalisation certificate. When you come back to Ireland, show both the certificate and the IRP card to the border control. If you haven’t received the cert yet, bring a copy of the approval letter.

irenciya
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by irenciya » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:43 pm

littlerr, we won’t tell them! :D
Thanks so much for your reply!
P.S. also, I just wanted to say a very big personal thank you for all your help on this forum! Your posts helped me to prepare a better application and kept me sane during those two years of waiting the decision. So thank you!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:58 pm

Thank you for your kind words, and congratulations on becoming an Irish citizen!

irenciya
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by irenciya » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:46 pm

Hi guys! Just wanted to give you an update how it went. I had a short trip to Italy a week after the citizenship ceremony using my non-EU passport and residence card (no certificate was received at that time). On my way back (in Italy) the airlines and customs checked the passport and residency card, and let me on the plain no problem. In Dublin airport the customs looked briefly into my passport and residence card and said: “welcome back” 😊.
Thanks all once again for your advice!