ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration history

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sidali42
Wales

Immigration history

Post by Sidali42 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:17 pm

Hi everyone

I have question if anyone can help . I entered uk illegally first time I have now indefinite leave and I want to apply for citizenship. I heard some people online saying that the law changed and you can apply for citizenship after one year with indefinite even if you entered illegally before . Anyone can advise me with this .

Thank you

meself2
Ireland

Re: Immigration history

Post by meself2 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:25 pm

It's not exactly as clear cut as you state. When did you enter the UK and when did you become a lawful resident?
Immigration law breaches can be overlooked as seen in guidance (below), but you can still be refused due to other issues with your conduct in the UK (for example, if you worked in the UK illegally while you were an overstayer, that would breach the good character conditions).
I'm not sure if there has been a successful case reported on forums about getting citizenship as an illegal entrant before 10 years have passed, as it is still at HO's discretion (see wording - "my be disregarded").

See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... racter.pdf - lawful residence for guidance phrases.
To align with changes to the qualifying period, where a person has committed
immigration breaches relating to:
• illegal entry
• absconding
• overstaying
may be disregarded when assessing good character during the 10-year period prior
to the application
, but only where all of the following factors apply:
• the person is applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, or registration as a
British citizen under s.4(2), 6(1) or 6(2) of the BNA 1981 after 28 June 2022
that person holds indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILE or ILR, also known as
settlement) in the UK

• no concerns (for example, regarding the person’s character) have arisen since
the grant of settlement which might cast doubt on the decision
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Sidali42
Wales

Post by Sidali42 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:13 pm

meself2 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:25 pm
It's not exactly as clear cut as you state. When did you enter the UK and when did you become a lawful resident?
I/
may be disregarded when assessing good character during the 10-year period prior
to the application
• the person is applying for naturalisation as a British citizen, or registration as a
that person holds indefinite leave to enter or remain (ILE or ILR, also known as
settlement) in the UK

[/quote]

Thanks for your answer
I entered uk 2015 . I got married to eu citizen and became legal 2017 and I got my indefinite under eu settlement 2022 . I don’t have any criminal records or been caught working illegally before .! Do you think I still can apply ?

Thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:28 pm

Sidali42 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:13 pm
meself2 wrote:
I/
to the application
settlement) in the UK

Thanks for your answer
I entered uk 2015 . I got married to eu citizen and became legal 2017 and I got my indefinite under eu settlement 2022 . I don’t have any criminal records or been caught working illegally before .! Do you think I still can apply ?

Thanks
[/quote]
At this point, it's a gamble. You're better off waiting till 2027.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:08 am

Sidali42 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
I/
to the application
settlement) in the UK

Thanks for your answer

Thanks
[/quote]

Not "been caught" does not mean you will not declare working illegally as in the declaration you will state that all is genuine else you will be caught out with deception.
Counting from 2017, wait till 2027 for the 10years.

samiat1970
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by samiat1970 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:01 am

Ticktack wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:28 pm
Sidali42 wrote:
meself2 wrote:
I/
to the application
settlement) in the UK

Thanks for your answer

Thanks
At this point, it's a gamble. You're better off waiting till 2027.
[/quote]
Hello. Don't get carried away by the person that suggested u wait till 2027. Thar suggestion was harsh, wrong and distress. According to the new rule, you can apply now and I believe you will be granted

samiat1970
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by samiat1970 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:03 am

Hello.
Do not get carried away by the person that suggested u wait till 2027. That suggestion was harsh, wrong and distress. According to the new rule, you can apply now and I believe you will be granted

abbott25
Newly Registered
Tanzania

Post by abbott25 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:54 am

Your ok bro, good to apply now, they are looking back 5 years