ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing my nieces to the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Betty10
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Bringing my nieces to the UK

Post by Betty10 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:57 pm

Having fled from Uganda over the past 20 years. My immediate family members were all diseased under the previous rebels in north East and I have now settled in the UK. I have been a looked-after child under the Social Service and now living independently with my own family. However, I have now discovered two of my nieces (my Aunts daughters) who are the only survivors within the family. I have the intention for them to join me in the UK. Please can someone advise me on this.

secret.simon

Re: Bringing my nieces to the UK

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:40 pm

What age are the nieces? Do they have relatives closer than you in Uganda? Who is looking after them now? Are you a British citizen now?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:47 pm

Are they your cousins or nieces? Are not your aunt's children your cousins?

The actual relationship may be important.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:03 am

Based on the information in the OP. It is unlikely that the individuals in Uganda are under 18 years old. The relationship is cousins and therefore there is not direct family relationship such as siblings.

There is no clear route based on relationship and if there was, the cousins age would probably preclude that possibility.

The likely and most viable routes to the U.K. would be the student or work routes.

Betty10
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Betty10 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:00 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:40 pm
What age are the nieces? Do they have relatives closer than you in Uganda? Who is looking after them now? Are you a British citizen now?
Thank you for your response. My Cousins are in their 20s and 22 respectively and they do not have any close relatives. I am the one looking after them after discovering them a year ago. I am a British Citizen.

Betty10
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Betty10 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:02 pm

Korekt wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:47 pm
Are they your cousins or nieces? Are not your aunt's children your cousins?

The actual relationship may be important.
Thank you for your response in this regard. They are both my Cousins.

Betty10
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Betty10 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:05 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:03 am
Based on the information in the OP. It is unlikely that the individuals in Uganda are under 18 years old. The relationship is cousins and therefore there is not direct family relationship such as siblings.

There is no clear route based on relationship and if there was, the cousins age would probably preclude that possibility.

The likely and most viable routes to the U.K. would be the student or work routes.
Thank you for your input on this matter. In addition, I would be most grateful if I have more information on how to go about the work route for them.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:08 pm

Betty10 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:00 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:40 pm

Thank you for your response. My Cousins are in their 20s and 22 respectively and they do not have any close relatives. I am the one looking after them after discovering them a year ago. I am a British Citizen.
Your cousins are grown adults now. There's no way to bring them here. They would have to find their own pathway.

Even if they were still young, it would have been difficult.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:13 pm

Betty10 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:05 pm
Frontier Mole wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:03 am

Thank you for your input on this matter. In addition, I would be most grateful if I have more information on how to go about the work route for them.
The work route means they have to find an employer to sponsor them - the same way all migrants willing to work in the UK do.

There is no easy way.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:19 pm

Essentially, because of their age and the distance of their relationship to you, they do not benefit, from an immigration point of view, from having a British citizen relative.

They have no different paths that any other Ugandan or Nigerian or Indian or Canadian, without a British citizen relative, would have.

They would need to get a job in the UK where the employer can sponsor them for a Skilled Worker visa and work with them for five continuous years.

The UK does not do family immigration. The only people a British citizen can sponsor are their spouse and children and even then there are quite strict financial requirements to be met. They can't sponsor other relatives, such as siblings, never mind nieces and cousins.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.