ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR application before or after spouse's BC application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

ILR application before or after spouse's BC application

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:04 pm

Hi, I have Set LR since beginning of this year and would be filing my BC naturalisation application in first half of Jan'24.
My wife is completing her 10 years on 27th Mar'24 - so she can apply Set LR 28 days before so around 26th Feb.
So that the wife become eligible for BC application immediately after her Set LR (i.e. no need to wait for another year after Set LR like me), should she apply her super priority Set LR application once eligible -
  • a. anytime after filing my BC naturalisation application
  • b. after my naturalisation is approved and ceremony is complete
  • c. doesn't matter. She can apply anytime based on Set LR eligibility and she can apply for naturalisation as soon as my naturalisation is approved
Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR application before or after spouse's BC application

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:05 pm

She applies for set lr when she qualifies and meets all the requirements.

You applying or becoming British is completely irrelevant to her ilr application.

You apply for citizenship when you meet the requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jrs1984
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jrs1984 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:09 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know that both of our applications are separate. My question is - for her to be able to apply for naturalisation immediately after her ILR is granted, does her Set LR application be made at any time specific to my naturalisation application as per option in my original question?

I know that being a spouse of British citizen and getting an ILR allows the other spouse to immediately apply for naturalisation and they need not wait 12 months.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:26 am

jrs1984 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:09 pm
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know that both of our applications are separate. My question is - for her to be able to apply for naturalisation immediately after her ILR is granted, does her Set LR application be made at any time specific to my naturalisation application as per option in my original question?

I know that being a spouse of British citizen and getting an ILR allows the other spouse to immediately apply for naturalisation and they need not wait 12 months.
The timing of applications does not matter. As long as she holds ILR and you are British, she can apply immediately
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:10 am

jrs1984 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:09 pm

Once you are British even for a day, spouse can apply without the 1year wait.