ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship after ILR on skilled worker dependent visa

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mm99
Newly Registered
Pakistan

British Citizenship after ILR on skilled worker dependent visa

Post by mm99 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Hi folks,

I recently applied for MY Wife's ILR based on her completing 5 years on Tier2/ Skilled worker dependent visa. We got the ILR approved and recieved the BRP as well. I wanted to ask.

- How soon can we apply for British Citizenship please ? I have heard for dependents, they dont have to wait 1 year after getting ILR.

-Is there a requirement of absence from the UK 1 year prior to the ILR application ?

-Can one travel outside UK while the Naturalization application is under process ?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship after ILR on skilled worker dependent visa

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:08 pm

Hi folks,

I recently applied for MY Wife's ILR based on her completing 5 years on Tier2/ Skilled worker dependent visa. We got the ILR approved and recieved the BRP as well. I wanted to ask.

- How soon can we apply for British Citizenship please ? I have heard for dependents, they dont have to wait 1 year after getting ILR.
First of all there's no dependent concept for naturalisation. However, if you are a British citizen on the date your wife gained ILR she could apply from that date onwards, no mandatory 12 month waiting.

-Is there a requirement of absence from the UK 1 year prior to the ILR application ?
Not sure what you mean, absences are counted for 3 (spouse) or 5 (individual) years back from the date of the application.

-Can one travel outside UK while the Naturalization application is under process ?
Yes - note it's not an immigration application

Guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:39 pm

mm99 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:00 pm
- How soon can we apply for British Citizenship please ?
If you are a British citizen, she can apply immediately after getting ILR, assuming that she meets the absence and physical presence requirements.
mm99 wrote:
I have heard for dependents, they dont have to wait 1 year after getting ILR.
That applies specifically to the spouse of a British citizen.

If they have dependent children who were now past their 18th birthday, they would still need to meet the one year requirement as usual, even if they were dependents before ILR.
mm99 wrote:
No more than 90 days in the year immediately preceding the date of naturalisation application and no more than 270 days in the 3 years immediately preceding the date of naturalisation application (for the spouse of a British citizen).
mm99 wrote:
Yes. But the naturalisation application should be submitted while the applicant is in the UK and they will have to return to attend the citizenship ceremony when approved.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

mm99
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by mm99 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 pm

Hi both ! Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Yes I am a British Citizen now but I got my Citizenship in 2020, after spending 5 years on Tier 2 visa and then 1 year on ILR.
So from what I gather from your comments, My wife can apply for citizenship straight away (Keeping in view the physical presence in the UK requirments), now that has received her ILR and I am a British Citizen as well . Is this a correct summary please ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:26 pm

mm99 wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:09 pm
Hi both ! Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Yes I am a British Citizen now but I got my Citizenship in 2020, after spending 5 years on Tier 2 visa and then 1 year on ILR.
So from what I gather from your comments, My wife can apply for citizenship straight away (Keeping in view the physical presence in the UK requirments), now that has received her ILR and I am a British Citizen as well . Is this a correct summary please ? That's correct.