ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Question - Renewal due in March 2009

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Neo2008
Newly Registered

ILR Question - Renewal due in March 2009

Post by Neo2008 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi,

please bear with me, as I am new to this forum and in the process of gathering all the documents together for ILR for my wife to stay here.

Background

I got married in India back in Feb 2007. My wife was granted her Visa in March, I believe 8th March 2007 (she has applied for a Provisional Drivings License as we wants to learn how to drive a car, so I can't remember the exact date). She came to the UK on 6th April 2007. She has just completed her Life in the UK Test and passed (October 2008). She also has a National Insurance number, and membership with our local library.

I used to work, but left in June 2007 because my Father (he is severely disabled) was not well and I had to look after him. About six months later, I start claiming Carer's Allowance. As soon as he is better I will go back to work, I was working for 4.5 years before I left work.

I have savings of upto £60k.

I have the following questions:

In Section 10 of the Set(M) form, we are required to submit 6 documents in joint names or separately from 3 different sources, spanning over 2 years.

We have bank statements in joint names from April 2007 upto now. But thats the only documents we have in both our names.

We also have a membership which we made back in may 2008 at our local temple, we have a letter from them greeting us..etc.

We have Mobile phones with contracts.

She has some hospital appointment letters in her name from April, as she injured herself and required surgery.

She also voted this year (MP died, so a local election was done..etc) We have the Poll Card for her and myself...

Now, all the bills, Gas, Electricity, Water, Council Tax, etc are all in my Parents name, oh and the house aswell, with no mortgage to pay. My parents are not charging us any rent. My parents pay for all the bills.

I am worried that her application might not be sucessful. Please feel free to question me on anything.

It is my mistake, as I did not call the UKBA until earlier this year.

My main concerns are the documents and us not having enough documents in both our names, me not having a job and claiming carers allowance, also finances.

Also, am I right that we have to submit the papers within 28 days before her Visa expires? I had been told by one of the staff members at UKBA that I should make a postal application 1 day before her visa expires, seeing as she came here just over 28 days later?

Should we go in person or make a postal application? I know there is a £200 difference, but if it makes a stronger case to go in together I am no doubt willing to do that.

Confusions confusions.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Thank you.
Last edited by Neo2008 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: ILR Question - Renewal due in March 2008

Post by sakura » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Neo2008 wrote:Hi,

please bear with me, as I am new to this forum and in the process of gathering all the documents together for ILR for my wife to stay here.

Background

I got married in India back in Feb 2007. My wife was granted her Visa in March, I believe 8th March 2007 (she has applied for a Provisional Drivings License as we wants to learn how to drive a car, so I can't remember the exact date). She came to the UK on 6th April 2008. She has just completed her Life in the UK Test and passed (October 2008). She also has a National Insurance number, and membership with our local library.

I used to work, but left in June 2007 because my Father (he is severely disabled) was not well and I had to look after him. About six months later, I start claiming Carer's Allowance. As soon as he is better I will go back to work, I was working for 4.5 years before I left work.

I have savings of upto £60k.

I have the following questions:

In Section 10 of the Set(M) form, we are required to submit 6 documents in joint names or separately from 3 different sources, spanning over 2 years.

We have bank statements in joint names from April 2007 upto now. But thats the only documents we have in both our names.

We also have a membership which we made back in may 2008 at our local temple, we have a letter from them greeting us..etc.

We have Mobile phones with contracts.

She has some hospital appointment letters in her name from April, as she injured herself and required surgery.

She also voted this year (MP died, so a local election was done..etc) We have the Poll Card for her and myself...

Now, all the bills, Gas, Electricity, Water, Council Tax, etc are all in my Parents name, oh and the house aswell, with no mortgage to pay. My parents are not charging us any rent. My parents pay for all the bills.

I am worried that her application might not be sucessful. Please feel free to question me on anything.

It is my mistake, as I did not bother to call the UKBA until earlier this year.

My main concerns are the documents and us not having enough documents in both our names, me not having a job and claiming carers allowance, also finances.

Also, am I right that we have to submit the papers within 28 days before her Visa expires? I had been told by one of the staff members at UKBA that I should make a postal application 1 day before her visa expires, seeing as she came here just over 28 weeks later?

Should we go in person or make a postal application?

Confusions confusions.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Thank you.
Has she spent two years in the UK (on a spouse visa)? Because you mention that she first entered the UK on 6th April 2008. Or did you mean 2007 and you will be applying for ILR in March 2009?

Neo2008
Newly Registered

Post by Neo2008 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:54 pm

So sorry, I meant she came here on 6th April 2007, she got her visa on 8th March 2007.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:58 pm

And because, no doubt, she will apply for for ILR by March 2009, rather than 2008, I have edited the title of this topic!
John

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Neo2008, does your wife work? Has she applied for a NI number?

Do the two of you have any children? If so, no doubt, there are claims for Child Benefit and Tax Credits.
John

Neo2008
Newly Registered

Post by Neo2008 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:46 pm

John wrote:Neo2008, does your wife work? Has she applied for a NI number?

Do the two of you have any children? If so, no doubt, there are claims for Child Benefit and Tax Credits.
No, she doesn't work. Yes, she does have a NI Number.

Unfortunately for us, at the moment, no children (thats going to take time, few problems).

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:10 pm

Yes, she does have a NI Number.
In which case she must have a letter from the DWP about that!

Look at the huge list of possibilities! Any insurance? Car insurance? Life insurance? etc etc etc
John

Neo2008
Newly Registered

Post by Neo2008 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 pm

John wrote:
Yes, she does have a NI Number.
In which case she must have a letter from the DWP about that!

Look at the huge list of possibilities! Any insurance? Car insurance? Life insurance? etc etc etc
Yes she does.

I am making a list of all the documents we have jointly on both names (currenly we only have bank statements from May 2007). When I have done that, I shall post back.

Car Insurance is in my name. No life insurance.

let me make that list.

Sorry about this, I am stressed out big time.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:25 pm

No wonder you are stressed! Have you actually read the form SET(M)? Really? Page 15 of 18 ..... the first paragraph! So why are you continuing to fret about things being in joint names?

When my own wife got her ILR back in 2002 absolutely nothing was in joint names ... but ILR issued with no problem.
John

Neo2008
Newly Registered

Post by Neo2008 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:51 pm

John wrote:No wonder you are stressed! Have you actually read the form SET(M)? Really? Page 15 of 18 ..... the first paragraph! So why are you continuing to fret about things being in joint names?

When my own wife got her ILR back in 2002 absolutely nothing was in joint names ... but ILR issued with no problem.
Do you mean page 14 of 17?

John my friend, I am reading the form again right now.

I think the guy who I spoke to at UKBA stressed me out by saying I have to have documents in joint names spanning two years.

I shall be back in two days, need to sit down and read this properly and make a list of things which are required and which I already have.

lol @ myself.

:oops: :cry:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:03 am

Arrh right, I was referring to the PDF file, but now see that printed on the bottom of the page it says 14 of 17.

You have got the 11/2008 version of the form, haven't you?

The start of that page reads :-
in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. Examples of acceptable letters and documents are listed below. They must be originals.

The dates of the letters or documents should spread over the whole 2 years. They should be from at least 3 different sources.

Please give an explanation on a separate sheet if you cannot provide 6 items; if the documents are not addressed to both of you; or if they do not cover the 2-year period. If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the 2-year period,
please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this.
Seems pretty clear to me! Did you phone the UKBA Helpline? They have a reputation for sometimes not being that helpful!
John

Neo2008
Newly Registered

Post by Neo2008 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:24 pm

John wrote:
Arrh right, I was referring to the PDF file, but now see that printed on the bottom of the page it says 14 of 17.

You have got the 11/2008 version of the form, haven't you?

The start of that page reads :-
in your joint names, you may also provide items addressed to each of you individually if they show the same address for both of you. Examples of acceptable letters and documents are listed below. They must be originals.

The dates of the letters or documents should spread over the whole 2 years. They should be from at least 3 different sources.

Please give an explanation on a separate sheet if you cannot provide 6 items; if the documents are not addressed to both of you; or if they do not cover the 2-year period. If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the 2-year period,
please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this.
Seems pretty clear to me! Did you phone the UKBA Helpline? They have a reputation for sometimes not being that helpful!
Yup UKBA three different people three different types of information.

I am doing a draft run of the form. I'll be back later. Thanks John.

quick question, does a mobile phone bill qualify as a document? My wife has a 18 month contract in her name, but it started from november this year. I don't think it will be sufficient, as it doesn't cover the two years?