ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying in Irish language for naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chaikhosi
Newly Registered

Applying in Irish language for naturalisation

Post by chaikhosi » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:59 pm

Has anyone learned to speak Irish since moving here, and successfully applied for naturalisation on the Irish version of the form? Just thinking maybe it would get processed faster, because I guess very few people do that.

I only know a few phrases in Irish now, but would be a great motivation to study!

Ghoort
Newly Registered
Afghanistan

Re: Applying in Irish language for naturalisation

Post by Ghoort » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:07 pm

I was once speaking about the Irish language with a school teacher, who obviously speaks Irish. She said me if I want to give a lot of pain to a guard arresting me (I wasn't arrested even once), I should ask to get arrested in Irish. The guards may even avoid arrest me just not to use Irish.

I think if you wish your application to wait as long as possible you may try to fill it in Irish.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:41 pm

I wouldn't expect it to be any faster - highly doubt there's a separate queue for Irish language applicants.
I think you have to know Irish to work in civil service, but as times go by and it's not used, I don't think they are held up to standard. You might actually wait longer until someone with satisfactory knowledge of the language can get onto your application.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Yes, it was embarrassing for the department since they hadn't bothered to publish a form in Irish.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.4539492