ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Days Out Of The Country For UK Citizenship Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

uhd4k
New Zealand

Days Out Of The Country For UK Citizenship Application

Post by uhd4k » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:35 am

Hello,

Soon, I am planning to apply for British citizenship. I meet most criteria except potentially the Absence rule. The good news is that I have spent less than 90 days in the last year, and I was inside the UK a year back from my application date. However, I have spent exactly 480 days outside the UK in the last 5 years, and that excludes part-days. That is 30 days more than the limit of 450 for citizenship applications. The official guide states :

- Normal permitted absence in the qualifying period: 450 days.

- Total number of days normally disregarded: 480 days.

My confusion is about the word "normally". What are the criteria to disregard 480, so that I know if I fit into it or not?

Thanks.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Days Out Of The Country For UK Citizenship Application

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:47 am

There's no exact definition what "normally" means, or what criteria are applied, however, I would read it that if all the other requirements have been met then there shouldn't be a problem. Also probably best to include an explanatory note as to why you are over the normal allowance (business, family emergencies, family reunion, etc). I should think that UKVI recognise that applicants don't necessarily plan for this up front.
Others here may be able to contribute personal experience around this aspect.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Days Out Of The Country For UK Citizenship Application

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:13 am

uhd4k wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:35 am
Hello,

Soon, I am planning to apply for British citizenship. I meet most criteria except potentially the Absence rule. The good news is that I have spent less than 90 days in the last year, and I was inside the UK a year back from my application date. However, I have spent exactly 480 days outside the UK in the last 5 years, and that excludes part-days. That is 30 days more than the limit of 450 for citizenship applications. The official guide states :

- Normal permitted absence in the qualifying period: 450 days.

- Total number of days normally disregarded: 480 days.

My confusion is about the word "normally". What are the criteria to disregard 480, so that I know if I fit into it or not?

Thanks.
In UK a year back from application date is not relevant. In your case you would want to check in UK 5years back.