ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave to Remain with Expired passport

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jjbakerr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Leave to Remain with Expired passport

Post by Jjbakerr » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:55 pm

Hi there,

My close friend is about to apply for leave to remain as a parent without the use of a lawyer.
He does not have a valid passport and the current wait time for the new one is one month.
he does not have a national identity card also.

Can he apply using super priority with a photocopy of his old passport,
or,
can he apply without a passport atall?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Leave to Remain with Expired passport

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:11 pm

He needs a passport and a valid one at that or proof and explanation of renewal of passport and why it wasn't done sooner.

What is your friends current immigration status?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:13 pm

If you are outside the country/ies of nationality, you are expected to have a valid current (non-expired) passport.

Your passport defines your ability to live outside your country/ies of nationality. Exceptions exist for those who *can't* obtain a passport (such as refugees), but the general rule is that a non-British citizen living in the UK is expected to have a current passport.

There are some exceptions among closely allied countries (within the EU, EU citizens could possibly get away with an expired passport of another EU member-state; countries like Australia and New Zealand, which work closely together, may allow the other's citizens to reside in their country without a current passport), but the general rule mentioned above remains.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:37 am

How long ago did his passport expire?

As stated above, passport states your identity and nationality - unless you can't get it, you have to have a valid one on you.
He should have applied in advance to ensure his legal stay. A month is not even that much - I waited for almost 3 months to get my national passport.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Jjbakerr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jjbakerr » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

His Passport expired about 5 years ago and he has no valid form of immigration leave.
After reading the responses, he has decided to wait a month until his passport is issued before making the FLR application. I just thought I'd check with the forum as a friend advised that it was possible to apply without a passport as long as a reason is provided.

Also regarding his application, he's applying to stay as a parent of a British child. I consider this a straightforward application, hence why we've decided he uses the super-priority option.

Any comments on this?

I would really appreciate any input as this forum helped me during my case about 2.5 years ago which was a lot more complicated than his.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:47 am

Jjbakerr wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:48 pm
Thanks for all the responses.

His Passport expired about 5 years ago and he has no valid form of immigration leave.
After reading the responses, he has decided to wait a month until his passport is issued before making the FLR application. I just thought I'd check with the forum as a friend advised that it was possible to apply without a passport as long as a reason is provided.

Also regarding his application, he's applying to stay as a parent of a British child. I consider this a straightforward application, hence why we've decided he uses the super-priority option. Nope it's not a straightforward application. He's been living illegally in the UK for a long time. Don't waste money on super-priority. Also prepare him form a long battle. You definitely would need a solicitor in my opinion.

Any comments on this?

I would really appreciate any input as this forum helped me during my case about 2.5 years ago which was a lot more complicated than his.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Jjbakerr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jjbakerr » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:28 pm

i have read of an overtayer using the super priority service on this forum and was successful. Also i know of someone who applied under the same route parent of a British child , who was successful using super priority.

My understanding is that having a british/qualifing child and there's no public interest in removal, then it shouldn't be very difficult to regularise his stay.

Not sure how this should be a long battle...

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:36 am

Jjbakerr wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:28 pm
i have read of an overtayer using the super priority service on this forum and was successful. Also i know of someone who applied under the same route parent of a British child , who was successful using super priority.

My understanding is that having a british/qualifing child and there's no public interest in removal, then it shouldn't be very difficult to regularise his stay.

Not sure how this should be a long battle...
It was just an advise, you're always free to do what you want. Keep us posted, as others can learn from it.

In my opinion, what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!