ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to Retrain BRP card before applying for British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shak5522
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

How to Retrain BRP card before applying for British passport

Post by shak5522 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:06 am

Good day Team

I have my naturalisation ceremony next week, how can i retrain my brp indefinite leave to remain as im going to apply for British passport probably next week

I have three children and all of them got British passport with my indefinite leave to remain

Do I really need brp card in future to renew my children British passport or i can apply with my British passport

thanks in advance

alterhase58
Germany

Re: How to Retrain BRP card before applying for British passport

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:12 am

You will receive a naturalisation certificate which confers citizenship. You use that to apply for your passport, not the BRP card.

For your children the only proof that they are British is Your BRP card. A passport is not conclusive proof of citizenship. The general consensus seems to be is for you to retain the card rather than returning it. Many are concerned about the fine warming for non-return. You could also make certified copies for each child to retain. I think you don’t need to submit the card at each renewal.

HMPO can and sometimes do ask for more information and documents, normally requesting originals.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

garrick
- thin ice -
India

Post by garrick » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 pm

BRP card must me returned within 5 days of attending British citizenship ceremony otherwise you can end up paying £1000 fine. I have paid this fine 3 weeks ago for not following rule hence please be careful.

garrick
- thin ice -
India

Post by garrick » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:48 pm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:04 pm

garrick wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:43 pm
BRP card must me returned within 5 days of attending British citizenship ceremony otherwise you can end up paying £1000 fine. I have paid this fine 3 weeks ago for not following rule hence please be careful.
Nonsense. You only attended your ceremony 2 weeks ago on the 12th April.

You would d be the first person to state they have been fined.

There are exceptions regarding brp cards being retained by parents for future proof of their UK born children's entitlement to a British passport as a child born to settled parents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

garrick
- thin ice -
India

Post by garrick » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:24 pm

Mind your language CR001. Yes, i attended ceremony in 12th as posted by me in timeline channel. I didn’t return BRP and received email on 18th to pay fine.

You can consider this nonsense because it is not paid by you. I wish you are made to pay such high fines so that you will realise how it feels !!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:35 am

Can you print out the wording of the fine document?
Did you have any children born in the UK while you held ILR, before being British?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

garrick
- thin ice -
India

Post by garrick » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:33 pm

No, i dont have any child born in UK.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:46 pm

garrick wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:24 pm
received email on 18th to pay fine
Can you please copy and paste the text of the email here, taking out all personally identifiable information (such as your name, email address and also the name of the person and if personally identifiable, the email address of the sender)?

You are the first person who has reported on these forums as having been sent such an email with regards to the fine, hence the interest in the exact wording of the email.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

shak5522
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by shak5522 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:54 pm

Dear Members

Thank you very much for your reply

How can i retrain the brp card

Can i email home office or send them letter that due to reason i cant not return my brp card

Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:35 am

I think yes.
shak5522 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:06 am
I have three children and all of them got British passport with my indefinite leave to remain
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

shak5522
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by shak5522 » Tue May 02, 2023 7:41 am

Do you the email address for home office

so i can tell them via email

I am worried and don't want to get fined for not sending the BRP card back to home office

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue May 02, 2023 7:51 am

There are a number of email addresses listed here - email one or all of them - we can't say which one is "best":

british-citizenship/nationality-enquire ... l#p2093594
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

CosmosS
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by CosmosS » Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:35 am

garrick wrote:

Could you please copy and paste the wording of the fine? It should be easy if this was sent via an email.

They say 5 working days on the home office website. If you had become a British Citizen on the 12 of April 2023, then 5 working days would be a certain hour on the 19th of April. If they don't count the day of the ceremony, 5 working days would actually be the 20th of April. You say you were fined on the 18th...

You are telling us that they fined you 1-2 days prior to the 5 working days running out. And expect people to believe you without even showing some proof. I do agree that this is complete nonsense.

The home office website also states it needs to be SENT BACK within 5 working days so it can actually take a lot longer for it to reach them. It doesn't say it needs to be RECEIVED within 5 working days which would be insensible really.

Unless you submit some proof, do not blame people for regarding this as a case of pathological lying.

You also expect us to believe that with all the delays in the home office, they were right there checking all the mail minute by minute eager to find your BRP and as soon as they did not, they immediately found the time to send you an email with a fine on the same day (which is actually 2 days prior to the 5 days running out).

This is beyond silly. I'm surprised your post hasn't been removed by the mods.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:48 am

CosmosS wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:35 am
garrick wrote:

Could you please copy and paste the wording of the fine? It should be easy if this was sent via an email.

They say 5 working days on the home office website. If you had become a British Citizen on the 12 of April 2023, then 5 working days would be a certain hour on the 19th of April. If they don't count the day of the ceremony, 5 working days would actually be the 20th of April. You say you were fined on the 18th...

You are telling us that they fined you 1-2 days prior to the 5 working days running out. And expect people to believe you without even showing some proof. I do agree that this is complete nonsense.

The home office website also states it needs to be SENT BACK within 5 working days so it can actually take a lot longer for it to reach them. It doesn't say it needs to be RECEIVED within 5 working days which would be insensible really.

Unless you submit some proof, do not blame people for regarding this as a case of pathological lying.

You also expect us to believe that with all the delays in the home office, they were right there checking all the mail minute by minute eager to find your BRP and as soon as they did not, they immediately found the time to send you an email with a fine on the same day (which is actually 2 days prior to the 5 days running out).

This is beyond silly. I'm surprised your post hasn't been removed by the mods.
Though on the forum however did not come back here to post what was requested.