ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions for Citizenship form

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

user5
Pakistan

Questions for Citizenship form

Post by user5 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:10 pm

Hi,

This form was a huge help when I applied for ILR. I am now applying for British Citizenship on the basis of having ILR for more than 1 year (obtained ILR in 2021) and have a few questions outlined below:

1. Since being awarded my PhD, I have only updated my title to Doctor in select places (e.g. work and one bank). I have stated my title as Doctor rather than "Miss" on the Citizenship application form to match my employment contract (which states my title as "Doctor"). The citizenship application asks for my Tax office reference so I thought "doctor" would be more consistent. Is this ok? On my ILR application my title was Doctor as I was still doing a PhD.

2. Tax office reference number: My work has stated this is a 5 digit number - does this sound right? A quick google search says this should be a 10 digit number but I cannot find another number anywhere on my Payslips or P60.

3. The citizenship application requests details of all previous applications made to the Home Office (UKRI). I know I have had approx. 9 applications since 2006 and have entered the specific details where known (I am not counting visitor visas before 2006 as I don't know the info). However, in regards to the question on the form "When did you first enter the UK" I have entered the date of 5th October 2010. This is the date I entered on my previous application for Indefinite Leave to Remain. The reason I have not entered 2006 is because my continuous residence was broken from March 2010 and restarted when I entered the UK in October 2010. I am guessing it is ok to leave this as October 2010?

4. To explain the above, I have entered a note at the end of the application under: "give other details to be considered" on page 9. Is this ok or would you recommend I edit/remove it?

Thank you so much for your help in advance. :D :D

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Questions for Citizenship form

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:50 pm

user5 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:10 pm
1. Since being awarded my PhD, I have only updated my title to Doctor in select places (e.g. work and one bank). I have stated my title as Doctor rather than "Miss" on the Citizenship application form to match my employment contract (which states my title as "Doctor"). The citizenship application asks for my Tax office reference so I thought "doctor" would be more consistent. Is this ok? On my ILR application my title was Doctor as I was still doing a PhD.
Don't think this makes any difference as long as your name is stated correctly (as per your passport) - but you are free to state your title of course.
2. Tax office reference number: My work has stated this is a 5 digit number - does this sound right? A quick google search says this should be a 10 digit number but I cannot find another number anywhere on my Payslips or P60.
This is the employer's PAYE reference - for example "073/R51" - not your personal reference number. Ask your employer for the number. The 10 digit number is your Self Assessment Unique Reference (UTR) - you have it even if you don't do self-assessment.
3. The citizenship application requests details of all previous applications made to the Home Office (UKRI). I know I have had approx. 9 applications since 2006 and have entered the specific details where known (I am not counting visitor visas before 2006 as I don't know the info). However, in regards to the question on the form "When did you first enter the UK" I have entered the date of 5th October 2010. This is the date I entered on my previous application for Indefinite Leave to Remain. The reason I have not entered 2006 is because my continuous residence was broken from March 2010 and restarted when I entered the UK in October 2010. I am guessing it is ok to leave this as October 2010?
Never sure about this - but I believe this has no bearing on your application - after all you listed your immigration applications starting 2006.
4. To explain the above, I have entered a note at the end of the application under: "give other details to be considered" on page 9. Is this ok or would you recommend I edit/remove it?
If you feel this is necessary then you are free to explain it - but I believe it's not necessary - per my #3 reply.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for addressing the queries.

I am confused about the UTR so:
1. On the citizenship application I have to enter the 10 digit UTR and NOT my PAYE?
2. The UTR belongs to my employer. So every employee of the company would have the same UTR?
3. I am employed by a University, when I asked for the information they said my PAYE (the 5 digit number) is what they can provide. They also said as I'm not self employed I don't have or need a ITR?!? Any ideas on what/where/how I can get one.

And thank you, I agree the entry date is ok as October 2010, does anyone think differently?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:21 pm

user5 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 pm
Hi,

Thank you very much for addressing the queries.

I am confused about the UTR so:
1. On the citizenship application I have to enter the 10 digit UTR and NOT my PAYE? OK if the application asks for UTR enter that.
2. The UTR belongs to my employer. So every employee of the company would have the same UTR? Don't understand this - go to your HMRC account and in the header they will show your UTR number. Self-assessment is an individual tax payers responsibility - self-assessment is done by both PAYE employees and selfemployed people.
3. I am employed by a University, when I asked for the information they said my PAYE (the 5 digit number) is what they can provide. I used my then employer's PAYE reference. No issueThey also said as I'm not self employed I don't have or need a ITR?!? not relevant Any ideas on what/where/how I can get one.
It's easy to overthink this. These are details on which an application would not be rejected.
And thank you, I agree the entry date is ok as October 2010, does anyone think differently?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:48 am

Hi @alterhase58, thanks for addressing my question again. I really appreciate it.

I believe there is some understanding as I was positing a question based on your response rather than a statement. I'm writing it below so that it is clearer. My apologies for this.

1. The citizenship application asks for Tax office reference number. When I asked my employer they gave me a 5digit code. I am not self employed and therefore do not file my own taxes. I get paid after tax has already been deducted.

2. From your response I understood that the " tax office reference number" request in the Citizenship form does not refer to my PAYE but rather the Unique Tax Reference. Is this true?

3. I have looked at the general gov.uk website and it states that only individuals who file their own taxes need a 10 unique tax reference which is 10 digits.
I am confused as to which number I need to place under "tax office reference number" if I am not self employed and earn paid salary though a company/employer.

I hope this helps to clarify it. Thanks again :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:37 am

The tax office reference can be found on your P60. It is the employers tax office reference number and comprises letters/numbers.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:25 pm

Thank you CR001 :D

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:11 am

Hi,

Sorry another question. I'm sure this has been asked but I'm still a bit unsure

1. What counts as the application date? Is it the date that you submit and pay for the online application of the date of the biometrics? Or another date?
2. I qualify under the 5 year period for citizenship and have held ILR since January 2021. I am guessing the date I need to have been physically present in the UK is in the year 2018.
3. Does the length of ILR have any bearing on the date you have to be physically present in the UK? I.e. do I have to count 5 years back from now or when I received my ILR?

Thank you again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:13 am

1. Date of application is the date you submit and pay online. It is not the biometric appointment date.

2. Yes.

3. No ilr has nothing to do with the physically present. For citizenship, the qualifying period and requirements you must meet is the 5 years immediately preceding the date of application for citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:18 am

Thank you once again @CR001 :D I really appreciate your help.

I had get myself paranoid wondering if I need to look at any other year in addition to 2018. I'm glad to know that is not the case. :D

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:56 am

Hi (yet) again,

I have submitted my application yesterday the 13th of July 2023. My qualifying period is 5 years and I was present in the UK on the 13th of July 2018.
I have not been out of the UK for more than 90 days in the past year however, I was not present in the UK on 13 July 2022. I am guessing this is ok?

Thank you again for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:10 am

There is NO requirement to have been physically present 12 months before applying!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:19 am

Thank you!

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:28 pm

Hi,

I got passport pictures taken for the referee forms. The pictures are 45mm by 35mm. I have just noticed that the pictures do not fit into the "photo box" on the referee form.
It may be due to the aspect ratio of the printed form. Is this going to be an issue?

I have already posted the picture and the form to my referee so don't think I can change any at this point.

Is this an issue?

Thank you

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:31 pm

Also, my referee forms will be dates after the application submission date (e.g. application submission date is 13th July, second referee form is dated 14th July and first referee form is likely to be dated 24th July). My biometrics appointment is 1st August.

Are the above dates ok?
Thank you, I think paranoia is setting in for some reason!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:52 am

user5 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:31 pm
Also, my referee forms will be dates after the application submission date (e.g. application submission date is 13th July, second referee form is dated 14th July and first referee form is likely to be dated 24th July). My biometrics appointment is 1st August.

Are the above dates ok?
Thank you, I think paranoia is setting in for some reason!
No issue.

user5
Pakistan

Post by user5 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:07 pm

Thank you so much again.

Is the size of the pictures ok? (Questions just above the last one :lol: )

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:56 pm

Don't think picture size matters.