ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling back to uk with naturalisation certificate and indian passport with grace period

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raththam

Travelling back to uk with naturalisation certificate and indian passport with grace period

Post by raththam » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:12 am

as there is a three months grace period to travel to india after acquiring british naturalisation certificate and using indian passport ( ilr brp card surrendered ) to travel to india , shall i use naturalisation certificate to enter uk with indian passport in my return in three weeks time ? i hope that’s permitted but checking it here.. any help is appreciated…

meself2
Ireland

Re: Travelling back to uk with naturalisation certificate and indian passport with grace period

Post by meself2 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:57 am

To enter at the border, sure, that's okay. You're a British citizen, they will let you in.

But I don't know how you will be able to board the flight to India. I don't think airlines take naturalization certificate as a proof of your status in the UK (but I'm happy to be corrected if that's not the case), so they could certainly choose not to put you on the flight.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Travelling back to uk with naturalisation certificate and indian passport with grace period

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:53 am

meself2 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:57 am
To enter at the border, sure, that's okay. You're a British citizen, they will let you in.

But I don't know how you will be able to board the flight to India. I don't think airlines take naturalization certificate as a proof of your status in the UK (but I'm happy to be corrected if that's not the case), so they could certainly choose not to put you on the flight.
Agreed.
Naturalisation certificate is not a travel document and airline staff won't recognise it, they expect to see a visa/card issued by the destination country. Only use the certificate at the UK border - Border Force have access to Home Office systems and can validate your citizenship.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

raththam

Post by raththam » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:34 am

so you are saying entering back to uk border with naturalisation is permitted and going to india with indian passport and naturalisation certificate is not possible ….according to high commission of india website there is three months grace period to travel to india with indian passport after acquiring naturalisation certificate. https://www.hcilondon.gov.in/page/surre ... -passport/

i handed over my brp card after i acquired naturalisation certificate..

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:41 am

raththam wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:34 am
so you are saying entering back to uk border with naturalisation is permitted and going to india with indian passport and naturalisation certificate is not possible
No.

We're saying it is possible to enter at the UK border - UK government has no objections.
alterhase58 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:53 am
use the certificate at the UK border - Border Force have access to Home Office systems and can validate your citizenship.
meself2 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:57 am
To enter at the border, sure, that's okay
And yes, your passport is valid, as per the link.

The problem is how you're getting to the border. And usually you're getting there by plane.

In order to board a plane, airline (a third party, affiliated with neither Indian nor British government)
that allow you to go to the UK, otherwise they may be fined and will have to bear the costs of you going back to India.
But naturalization certificate is not a document airlines will routinely accept. Hence, there's a huge chance, if not certainty, that they won't be sure you can go to UK and won't board you on the plane.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

raththam

Post by raththam » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:24 pm

so no emergency visa which i can take it now while i am in UK possible ? i need to travel in another 7 days.. so checking if any option to get a emergency visa to get back to uk..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:27 pm

raththam wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:24 pm
so no emergency visa which i can take it now while i am in UK possible ? i need to travel in another 7 days.. so checking if any option to get a emergency visa to get back to uk..
You cannot get a visa if you are a British Citizen.

You should not have sent your BRP back if you had travel plans.

When did you attend your ceremony?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

raththam

Post by raththam » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:33 pm

mid of june i received naturalisation…where i mis conceived the information is that i can go to india with indian passport and naturalisation certificate ( three months grace period ) and use the same document to return to uk with in three weeks.. now left with no option as brp card also returned at first week of july with out realising that’s the one i should have holded on ( as it says to send it back immediately, i did not risk it and send it back as soon as i received naturalisation certificate) .. so no option whatsoever left isn’t ?

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:17 pm

raththam wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:33 pm
mid of june i received naturalisation…where i mis conceived the information is that i can go to india with indian passport and naturalisation certificate ( three months grace period ) and use the same document to return to uk with in three weeks.. now left with no option as brp card also returned at first week of july with out realising that’s the one i should have holded on ( as it says to send it back immediately, i did not risk it and send it back as soon as i received naturalisation certificate) .. so no option whatsoever left isn’t ?
Do you have a Schengen visa by any chance? You could go to France and take a train from Gare du Nord or take a ferry from Calais, there you can get to the UK officer before boarding train/ferry. That way worked for many people who i.e. lost their documents/brp's and can't catch a flight.
If not, you can apply for a regular British passport in India or probably you can get an emergency passport so you can travel back to the UK

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:26 pm

Ixeon659 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:17 pm
If not, you can apply for a regular British passport in India or probably you can get an emergency passport so you can travel back to the UK
"You usually cannot get an emergency travel document if you’ve never had a UK passport."
https://www.gov.uk/travel-urgently-from ... k-passport
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:05 am

Ixeon659 wrote:
you can apply for a regular British passport in India
Extremely not advised. It will a) take way longer than in the UK (people say 6 months - a year) and b) will cast doubts on applicant's true intentions to live in the UK (see post1841460.html#p1841460 ).

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:39 am

raththam wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:24 pm
Safest to postpone travel and apply for a first British passport now.
Do not book travel until you get your passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

raththam

Post by raththam » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:41 am

thank you all for the valuable input.. the last 10 years you all been providing such great input on each and every query i throw at this forum and received amazing responses from all collectively..I have no option but to apply for british passport on standard route.. if at least in one place i would have known about brp card not to be returned i could have met my parents this time with my daughter.. three month grace period is a such a mis lead for me.. 😔..

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:57 pm

meself2 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:05 am
Ixeon659 wrote:
Extremely not advised. It will a) take way longer than in the UK (people say 6 months - a year) and b) will cast doubts on applicant's true intentions to live in the UK (see post1841460.html#p1841460 ).
what are the options then? Apply for Schengen visa and getting to the UK Immigration officer at Eurotunnel/Eurostar train?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:47 am

Ixeon659 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:57 pm
meself2 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:05 am
Ixeon659 wrote:
what are the options then? Apply for Schengen visa and getting to the UK Immigration officer at Eurotunnel/Eurostar train?
Not sure where you got that option from. The UK government advises it's citizens not to leave the UK without getting a passport first. Attempting to do that is taking the mick. Don't expect any immigration officer outside the UK to look at the naturalisation cert and say "It's okay mate, you can go right in".

Think of the naturalisation cert as a birth certificate. Not sure you can flag that at border and magically expect miracles. Especially in far away India.

Maybe that might work if travelling from The Republic of Ireland (CTA) with that.
Once you get a British passport you must use this to enter the UK. If you do not want a British passport you can apply for a certificate of entitlement instead. You cannot enter the UK using your certificate of British citizenship.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

raththam

Post by raththam » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:54 pm

thanks for all your valuable input.. i applied for my first British passport and
contacted them to expedite the waiting time on the compassionate grounds.. they took a note of it but not promising anything. i had explained the whole lot of the situation in writing in a email to the email address they provided. however they can’t do anything to speed up the process as it is first adult passport and i can’t expect my severely ill parent to get medical proof as i am the only one who need to take them to hospital as they are in the not so sophisticated village and not many people around to help them get the proof what the HMpassport office wanted..

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:03 pm

Also CoA should work as well and it is quicker to get it than a new passport

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:35 pm

Ixeon659 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:03 pm
Also CoA should work as well and it is quicker to get it than a new passport
For CoA person must have a valid passport to put CoA in; as OP has naturalized as British and subsequently lost their Indian citizenship, I don't think it would be possible to use Indian passport for CoA.

Ixeon659
Latvia

Post by Ixeon659 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:56 pm

Looks like applying for British passport is the only way then