ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for ILR: questions

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

i_worker
Newly Registered

Applying for ILR: questions

Post by i_worker » Mon May 23, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi All,

I'm going to apply for ILR as I've been on WP for 4 years.
I came to the UK on 08/07/01. I've just booked an appointment in Birmingham PEO for 08/06/05, i.e. one month in advance.
I explained my situations and was given an appointment without questions.
But I found two discrepancies:
1. The SET(O) form states that one can apply 4 weeks in advance
2. The IND website http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... _form.html
says "You may use this Form SET (O) to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom if you are within one month of completing the 4 year qualifying period"

Which way is the right way?
Should I reschedule my appointment to a later date?

vivekR

Applying for ILR

Post by vivekR » Mon May 23, 2005 3:34 pm

I_worker,

Yes I suggest you go there only when you will have 4 wks left, else you will end up wasting wasting your time and probably the money!!

All the best for when you do.

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Mon May 23, 2005 4:04 pm

2. The IND website http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... _form.html
says "You may use this Form SET (O) to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom if you are within one month of completing the 4 year qualifying period"
Yes you are right, BUT Section 4 & 5 (of Guidance Notes) in the application form i.e. SET(O) states the following :
You should not apply more than 28 days before your leave expires.
If you use this service, please make sure that you apply before the end of your authorised stay but not more than 4 weeks in advance of completing any relevant qualifying period for your application
I would also recommend re-scheduling your appointment ... a day or two shouldn't make much of a difference, unless your current visa is expiring on June 8, 2005 !!!

Regards

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 23, 2005 6:26 pm

I agree with the comments already made, about 28 days rather than one month being relevant.

But wonder ... is there a good reason why you need to apply in person? Why not submit the application by post .... and save £165 ... the difference between £335 and £500.
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Mon May 23, 2005 8:08 pm

The 28 days is definitely the correct requirement. From my personal experience, I think going in person is worth the extra money especially since you can book an appointment.
Joseph

i_worker
Newly Registered

Post by i_worker » Tue May 24, 2005 3:10 pm

Thanks for replies.
I re-booked appointment to 10/06/05, which is exactly 28 days before my 4 years completion.

Another question: Do my dependands (wife and daughter) need to come with me?

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Tue May 24, 2005 3:17 pm

Another question: Do my dependands (wife and daughter) need to come with me?
No need to. You, being the main applicant, can apply on their behalf.

Best of Luck.
Regards

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue May 31, 2005 12:20 am

How on earth are u getting through to the B'ham PEO so easily! I've was trying for a whole week and only got through once!

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue May 31, 2005 9:08 am

Got through this morning! Resorted to calling on my mobile and fixed line at the same time! :? I got the exact day and time i wanted! My 28 day prior to 4 yrs being completed is on the weekend of the 11th so had to make it for the 13th. YAY!