ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born to naturalised British citizen - grandchildren status?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MarkCa
United Kingdom

Child born to naturalised British citizen - grandchildren status?

Post by MarkCa » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:43 pm

Hello,

I became British Citizen 2 months ago and I became father a few days ago. My wife has ILR. So, at moment of birth, our baby had one parent as naturalised British citizen, and one parent with ILR.

I know that getting British passport for our baby is simple, and we will provide my passport and naturalisation document as proof.

However, as I was searching forum for passport application documents, I came across very interesting topic:

british-citizenship/documents-required- ... 34674.html

In this topic, grandchildren are mentioned and keeping original ILR as proof in future. Specifically, this post by @secret.simon on 3rd of January at 9:38pm explains it great (this post is regarding ILR):

And it will almost certainly be asked for at the time of applying for a passport for children of the child (your grandchildren), especially if born abroad, as your child (your grandparent's parent) will have to prove that they were a British citizen otherwise than by descent (that status is not mentioned in either their passport or in any government database, but must be proved at the time of application).

A British passport is not definitive proof of British citizenship, only prima facie proof. And there have been a few cases when children who were already issued British passports in error were not issued renewals when they applied for renewal.

Your children and their children may have to prove their right to British citizenship from first principles (British birth certificate, ILR status of the parent at the time of their birth, i.e. parent's ILR BRP card predating their birth, etc)

My question are:

1. since I became British Citizen 2 months before child was born, will my grandchildren have to show my documents as well (and should I keep them) or will this not be necessary and they will only need their parent's (my child's) documents?

2. Is my child considered as British Citizen by descent?

3. When registering the child (we will do this in 20 days), will it make any difference if we use my passport or my wife's ILR?

4. Is there any mistake I can make now in filing application (registering child with council, applying for first passport, etc) that would contribute to my wife's ILR being used instead of my passport and that causing future paperwork for my descendants?

Thanks!

MarkCa
United Kingdom

Re: Child born to naturalised British citizen - grandchildren status?

Post by MarkCa » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:49 pm

I lost edit option, one more question:

5. Is there a limit to how many generations British citizenship has been "transferred" if future generations have been born outside of UK? And would it just make someone not British by default, but still eligible to become British if they were to move to UK (would they need visa or they can apply straight away)?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:43 am

Where was your baby born?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MarkCa
United Kingdom

Post by MarkCa » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:16 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:43 am
Where was your baby born?
In the UK :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:00 am

2. Child is a UK citizen otherwise than by descent under Section 1(1).

3. No difference.

4. If using mother’s ILR, then mother should keep evidence of her ILR that was granted before child’s birth. If using your British citizenship, then you should keep evidence of having British citizenship (i.e. Naturalisation certificate) before baby’s birth.

5. Grand children are automatically British. See also Ability to pass British citizenship on to children born outside of the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.