ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settled Status still showing up on website one year after naturalisation

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kamoe
European Union

Settled Status still showing up on website one year after naturalisation

Post by kamoe » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:35 am

Just useful information I confirmed today: My Settled Status still shows up on the "Prove your status" website, even though I naturalised over a year ago.

Wondering if other people have also confirmed this, and wether this works as emergency measure at border controls, e.g. A dual EU citizen with EU passport having forgotten their UK passport could in theory get away with producing their EU passport if it still has Settled Status attached. (Also EU passports are usually not a problem at the border, this is the hypothetical worse case scenario were you are randomly subject to an interview or something, and eGates are not working, etc).

Just to be clear, I am not advising or recommending that anyone does this (the right thing to do is enter the UK with a UK passport if you are a UK national). I'm simply pointing out the fact that the status might not be wiped out in the end.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Settled Status still showing up on website one year after naturalisation

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:26 am

Never had EU Settled Status so can't really comment though I suspect that there's no automatic data alignment between nationality and immigration processes. That probably works in favour of EU citizen. On top of that the UK doesn't have a uniform system to register all citizens (ID card!) so once you are naturalised you basically/eventually disappear from immigration data bases. Just guessing ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kubus

Post by kubus » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:22 am

I can confirm my EU Settled Status is still showing up on the government website. I naturalised almost 2 years ago, a non-EU citizen, now a dual national. I sent back my BRC card at the time. I’m guessing maybe it’s the way the withdrawal agreement is being implemented or because they don’t have a system in place to void EU Settlement Status after becoming British citizen.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:17 am

kubus wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:22 am
I can confirm my EU Settled Status is still showing up on the government website. I naturalised almost 2 years ago, a non-EU citizen, now a dual national. I sent back my BRC card at the time. I’m guessing maybe it’s the way the withdrawal agreement is being implemented or because they don’t have a system in place to void EU Settlement Status after becoming British citizen.
I guess it's the latter - systems not in place (and EU citizens generally don't have BRCs).
The Withdrawal Agreement doesn't cover UK naturalisation processes as that was always reserved for member states anyway.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:58 pm

I am starting to suspect that the language used to refer to an individual's immigration history was designed for non-EU nationals, because immigration was not an issue for EU nationals. For instance, wording similar to "wiping out" of one's immigration systems could refer to contexts where the individual had a visa or residence permit under UK laws. It's just that, by extension, because the EU Settlement Scheme is part of EU laws the sentence has started to be used, in this context, but without actual practical grounds?

Or do we have examples of the wiping out of immigration status being used in an official sentence used in a context specific to the EU Settlement Scheme?
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.