ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension- rental agreement letter?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse visa extension- rental agreement letter?

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:26 pm

Hi,

My wife is applying to extend her spouse visa early August (expires end of Aug)

Re the 2 years of correspondence requirement, we have plenty of evidence, but I wanted to check about accommodation.

We rented privately in a friends place for around a year & had no formal agreement, so I will ask for a letter, assuming a simple letter confirming that we both lived there, and the dates are fine? Plus, signature.

For the following year and present going forward we are formally renting and have a contract with a landlord via a lettings agency

However, the rental agreement expired a few months ago and we are currently on a month-to-month rolling contract (the original rental agreement states this is what happens if we don’t renew or move out), we don’t plan to move for a while and its cheaper month to month as no increase in cost)

Should I request a letter from landlord stating this and that we are still currently living in their property on a month to month contract?

We’d obviously also provide the original rental agreement.

We have current utility bills & bank statements with both names against this address so clear we are still living here.

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa extension- rental agreement letter?

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:51 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:26 pm
Hi,

Re the 2 years of correspondence requirement, we have plenty of evidence, but I wanted to check about accommodation.

We rented privately in a friends place for around a year & had no formal agreement, so I will ask for a letter, assuming a simple letter confirming that we both lived there, and the dates are fine? Plus, signature. As you are no more living at that address you do not need to produce a tenancy agreement for it. Letters received there can still be used.

For the following year and present going forward we are formally renting and have a contract with a landlord via a lettings agency

However, the rental agreement expired a few months ago and we are currently on a month-to-month rolling contract (the original rental agreement states this is what happens if we don’t renew or move out), we don’t plan to move for a while and its cheaper month to month as no increase in cost)

Should I request a letter from landlord stating this and that we are still currently living in their property on a month to month contract? No, as you had an AST before(I presume), once it ends it rolls it over month to month and this is well understood. No need to get any letter about this.

We’d obviously also provide the original rental agreement. Provide it.

We have current utility bills & bank statements with both names against this address so clear we are still living here. This covers what is required.

Thanks

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:23 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:51 pm
couchsurfer wrote:
Hi,

We rented privately in a friends place for around a year & had no formal agreement, so I will ask for a letter, assuming a simple letter confirming that we both lived there, and the dates are fine? Plus, signature. As you are no more living at that address you do not need to produce a tenancy agreement for it. Letters received there can still be used.

Should I request a letter from landlord stating this and that we are still currently living in their property on a month to month contract? No, as you had an AST before(I presume), once it ends it rolls it over month to month and this is well understood. No need to get any letter about this.

We have current utility bills & bank statements with both names against this address so clear we are still living here. This covers what is required.

Thanks

Great thanks for the reply.

Was thinking a letter from my landlord probably wasn't needed but wanted to be sure, so basically a case of just uploading the rental agreement that finished a few months ago ( it mentions that it rolls over) and then provide some correspondence across the last few months and the next one showing we still live in the same place.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:24 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:23 pm
AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:51 pm
couchsurfer wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Great thanks for the reply.

Was thinking a letter from my landlord probably wasn't needed but wanted to be sure, so basically a case of just uploading the rental agreement that finished a few months ago ( it mentions that it rolls over) and then provide some correspondence across the last few months and the next one showing we still live in the same place.
Correct.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:01 am

Hi again

We are getting ready to submit and have 1 question

For my wifes bank statements showing her salary has been paid in for the last 6 months, we have the online ones issued by HSBC which we used for the original application

Do we need to get a letter from HSBC confirming that they are authentic etc? Or does simply submitting the 6 online generated statements suffice

Thanks

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:27 am

Caseworker accept downloaded statements from online, if you want to get a letter from a peace of mind then HSBC can issue you a letter however you can just download and should be fine.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:16 am

TODMATT wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:27 am
Caseworker accept downloaded statements from online, if you want to get a letter from a peace of mind then HSBC can issue you a letter however you can just download and should be fine.
Thanks

I just saw something in the appendix about 'electronic bank statements need to be accompanied by a letter from the bank on headed stationary confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page'

So kind of panicked a bit as haven't got that, guessing HSBC must be well versed with these visa letters, I must have got one for the initial application.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:47 am

couchsurfer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:16 am
TODMATT wrote:
Thanks

I just saw something in the appendix about 'electronic bank statements need to be accompanied by a letter from the bank on headed stationary confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page'

So kind of panicked a bit as haven't got that, guessing HSBC must be well versed with these visa letters, I must have got one for the initial application.
The downloaded pdf statements can be used. This is what is mostly in use these days as HO aligns to changes in documentation portability.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:17 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:47 am
couchsurfer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:16 am
TODMATT wrote:
Thanks

The downloaded pdf statements can be used. This is what is mostly in use these days as HO aligns to changes in documentation portability.

Ah right so essentially that appendix hasn't really been updated to the current situation and a letter from the bank isn't really needed if you've got the downloaded pdf electronic statements ? They have name, address, account number and obv confirm the salary has been paid in each of the last 6 months.

I might just get the letter just in case! Assume HSBC can issue that in the bank fairly easily, in person.

Thanks again!