ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name Issue

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SxaDragon
Newly Registered
Italy

Name Issue

Post by SxaDragon » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:50 am

Hey there,

I currently have two foreign passports and applying for naturalisation. One Iranian and one Italian.

I will make up some names but I was born in the UK as Andrew Solieman, my UK birth certificate and my Italian passport has that name too. However my Iranian passport has another name Seyed Ali Soleiman, which is the name my father choose for me outside my control.

All my official UK records are with Andrew Soleiman however I still retain my Iranian passport with my other name. I am unsure how or if I can change that passport name, as I do not speak Iranian and as my father is now dead I do not have contacts that could help me, or feel safe travelling there. I also do not think I can renounce Iranian citizenship, nor would I want to.

Any thoughts on if this will make my naturalisation or passport application tricky?

vinny

Re: Name Issue

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 am

When were you born in the UK and what were your parents circumstances? Did you spend your first 10 years continuously in the UK? Do give us as much of your and your parents’ immigration histories.

For passport applications, HMPO prefers applicants to use the same name for all purposes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

SxaDragon
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by SxaDragon » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:00 pm

Yes I did however I can’t prove my mum was working when I was born as she was working cash in hand and had no NI number until I was 3. She is Italian national. She worked in my dad’s restaurant. I already applied for passport and it was rejected for this reason and they advised I apply for nat. Waiting for decision now it’s been almost a month since my biometrics taken.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:11 pm

Note that the UKVI target for processing naturalisation applications is six months.
You won't get any updates before then unless they need further information or documents.
For most applicants the only communication will be the decision email.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:00 pm

vinny wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 am
When were you born in the UK and what were your parents circumstances? Did you spend your first 10 years continuously in the UK? Do give us as much of your and your parents’ immigration histories.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

SxaDragon
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by SxaDragon » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:00 pm

I already replied to those questions vinny

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:23 pm

Some answers seems to be missing.

For example:
When were you born?
How long have your parents been in the UK when you were born?
What were their Immigration status when you were born?
Were they married when you were born?
Etc.

More information may be helpful in figuring out if you are automatically British or entitled to register (perhaps preferable to Naturalisation by discretion).

But never mind. HMPO are likely to have also asked you similar questions to determine if you satisfy the relevant requirements to be a British citizen. If you agree with them, then there’s probably no point in double checking.

SxaDragon
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by SxaDragon » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:54 pm

I don’t agree with them I made several complaints, however I had issues renewing my Italian passport due to their law to have the parent of your children agree to the renewal, and desperately needed a valid passport, so I stopped my complaint (stage 2) and applied for naturalisation.

Then the Italian law changed and I no longer needed my previous partners signature, so I got my Italian passport renewed and no longer really need the British passport, but I had already paid for the naturalisation at that point.

I wasn’t even able to take the life in UK test as I didn’t have a valid ID, so ended up doing it last week AFTER I had already applied for Nat. The further nationality inquiries advised me to apply without it and they would make special arrrangements but as I got the Italian passport I did it and sent them an email with the code.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:16 pm

I think they should have suggested that you explore your entitlement to register under Section 1(4). This doesn’t require KoLL. Hopefully, the caseworker may also recheck that you are not automatically British, if they have enough information and evidence.

They cannot grant British citizenship to a British citizen.

SxaDragon
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by SxaDragon » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:15 pm

Hey Vinny so my date of birth is 1988.

I actually didn’t know about the registration route. The issue is I would find it difficult to prove I was here for the first 10 years, even though I was.

I know my parents took my out the country when I was maybe 3 or 4 for several months. I don’t have dates etc or any medical records.

I went to school here etc but started a year late as my parents were living off grid in a farmhouse somewhere. Also I’ve already taken the Life in UK test and the B1 English test.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:57 am

SxaDragon wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:15 pm
Hey Vinny so my date of birth is 1988.
See also New law confirms British citizenship for children of EU citizens born in UK before 2 October 2000

SxaDragon
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by SxaDragon » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:24 am

The issue is I can’t prove my mother was exercising free movement rights. She didn’t have a NI number until 3 years later, I have no tenancy agreements, doctors letters, etc. the passport office told me I can reapply if I get that evidence.

The actual guidance says all I need is a statement from her saying she worked cash in hand which I sent, however they say they need some actual proof, bank statements or whatever. Unfortunately I have nothing, other than she got her NI number 3 years after I was born.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:07 pm

What was your father doing at that time? Perhaps your mother may show that she was self-sufficient via your father at the time of your birth?