ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change before naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dewdrops1420

Name change before naturalisation

Post by dewdrops1420 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:10 pm

Hi,

I want to change my name before getting naturalised in UK.But I already submitted the application and waiting for biometric.

My first name is XY surname Z.
I want to change it as first name X and surname as YZ So basically changing the order with no new additions.

So what should I do now to make the change in naturalisation certificate? Can I submit deed poll as part of biometric document submission?
Also can I surrender my indian passport with my new name order in Britishpassport?
All my Indian records except passport has my name as XYZ( Z not expanded) and no where Z in expanded form is my surname in India other than in passport.
If I manage to surrender the passport , can I have my OCI card with my new British passport name?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Name change before naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:25 pm

You have to change your Indian passport first, then apply for citizenship submitting the dead poll and the correct Indian Passport.

Also, HMPO will not issue a British passport if your name does not match your foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:09 am

I have already submitted my application for naturalisation and waiting for biometric. So in that case what can be done?

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:13 pm

Could someone please give me suggestion on my case?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:58 pm

You will need to go through the process with your current name, including your first British passport and then change your name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:59 pm

ok another post, british-citizenship/name-change-as-part ... k#p1579662

says

" by jimbulik » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:33 pm

So I have spoken to HMPO and they confirmed that the below would work 100%. Awaiting now a written confirmation.
jimbulik wrote:
Thanks CR001.

Would the following work then for me?
Apply for naturalisation on original last name (A)
Cancel foreign passport on original/old name (A)
Change name through deed-poll (A to C)
Apply for British passport using new name (C) "

So can I also follow the above route?

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:07 am

Could someone please help me clear my doubt?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:37 am

The member you quoted didn't post any feedback as to the outcome of his passport application.
You can of course double-check with the HMPO helpline - but you may still receive conflicting advice.

Not an expert on this, but this is my understanding (to be able to avoid complications):
- Apply for naturalisation on original last name
- Apply for British passport submitting your naturalisation certificate & foreign passport
- Change name via deed poll
- Apply for new British passport submitting your deed poll document, etc

I think priority is to get your naturalisation done, then address name change.
Note that the certificate name will never be changed - not a problem, show the deed poll document as proof of name change.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:08 pm

Ok thank you!
Yes I got conflicting answers from HMPO helpline.

But I was thinking is it really required to get British passport twice ?
Once we change name via deed poll and foreign passport is cancelled , then will they not provide us the first British passport with new name?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:12 pm

Hmpo used your foreign passport as proof of your name and identity. They wont issue a first British passport I'd your names don't match on the certificate and foreign passport. This is to avoid people trying to use multiple identities.

Many members have had huge struggles with this issue in the past.

So depends how much of a struggle you want and being stuck with no passport at all.

british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... 83170.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dewdrops1420

Post by dewdrops1420 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:21 pm

ok but if we surrender the foreign passport which means its cancelled and shows the surrender certificate, then will they not issue first British passport with name change as per deed poll proof?

In my case my name will still remain the same, only a part of my first name(actual surname) will move to be part of surname, so basically my name is still the same.

eg first name :Asish Malhotra
surname :Deepak

after deed poll

first name: Asish
surname : Malhotra Deepak

in all my Indian records (10th ,12th school certificates, degree certificate,aadhar,voter,birth certificate etc)except passport, my name is Asish Malhotra D

I'm fed up of people in this country calling me Mr Deepak(which is actually my dad's name) when I have a proper surname (Malhotra)