ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Identity Fraud

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Identity Fraud

Post by Stelcal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:49 am

Hi everyone,

I applied for BC 3 month ago (EU citizen -5 years + 1 Settled Status) and currently waiting for an outcome.
About a year and a half ago I've been a victim of Identity Frauded (bank scamming). Unfortunately, the scammers had a copy of my passport, Eu pre-settled status(back then) copy, my picture and obviously bank details. I acted promptly by contacting my bank and under their guidance the various other agencies (Action Fraud, Cifas etc) but I also got in touch with Home Office, letting them know what happened and giving them my Action Fraud case number, because back then I was awaiting my decision on my EU settled Status application. I received the decision soon after - no issues and was granted EU settled Status. Also I had no further issues with my bank account and haven't noticed anything suspicious on my credit score.
My questions are the following:
I wonder if this can affect in any way my application? The passport with which I applied is different from the one that I had back then (expired - issued a new one), but I included copies of all my passports on my application.
Can the HO verify this through their checks and see that there is a past case with Action Fraud?
I read that people find alias on their names via SAR, or even worst - convictions because they've been victims of identity thefts. Does it make any sense to request a SAR, or am I overthinking ?
I guess that the crosschecking (biometrics - passport chip) will make things clear. Or am I mistaken?

Would greatly appreciate any comments and suggestions.
Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Identity Fraud

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:14 am

You were the victim and took all the steps in your power to mitigate. So can’t see this would impact the application. Victim normally don’t get prosecuted for the crime committed against them.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:17 am

There’s no harm making a SAR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:20 am

Also with the Police, etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stelcal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 am

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I am not worried at all being prosecuted or anything, not even crossed my mind . My only wonder is if this can slow my application. That's all. I forgot to mention that since I removed from my mind this unpleasant experience, I also forgot to mention it in my application's cover letter- but not sure I had to.
So the bottom line is: Has the HO all the tools to check, crosscheck and very everything or will this be the cause of unnecessary delays?

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stelcal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:27 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:17 am
Thank you for your reply!
Will not slow my application? It's been less than 6 months. I applied 3 months ago.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:05 am

Stelcal wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 am
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I am not worried at all being prosecuted or anything, not even crossed my mind . My only wonder is if this can slow my application. That's all. I forgot to mention that since I removed from my mind this unpleasant experience, I also forgot to mention it in my application's cover letter- but not sure I had to.
So the bottom line is: Has the HO all the tools to check, crosscheck and very everything yes or will this be the cause of unnecessary delays? No
It should not be cause for worry as you did all within your means to alert the authorities. Any check or checks done by HO should literally check out.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:17 am

Stelcal wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:27 am
vinny wrote:
Will not slow my application? It's been less than 6 months. I applied 3 months ago.
I suspect that a different department will respond to a SAR. If the Home Office have digitized your records, then I think authorized users may concurrently read them. Then getting their information on you for you shouldn’t slow down your application.

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stelcal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:54 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:05 am
Stelcal wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 am
So the bottom line is: Has the HO all the tools to check, crosscheck and very everything yes or will this be the cause of unnecessary delays? No
It should not be cause for worry as you did all within your means to alert the authorities. Any check or checks done by HO should literally check out.
Thank you very much Amazonian, I really appreciate it!

Stelcal
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Stelcal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:55 am

vinny wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:17 am
Stelcal wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:27 am
vinny wrote:
I suspect that a different department will respond to a SAR. If the Home Office have digitized your records, then I think authorized users may concurrently read them. Then getting their information on you for you shouldn’t slow down your application.
Thank you very much vinny! Really appreciate your comments & suggestions.