ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tenancy Agreement Universal Credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

has1989
Pakistan

Tenancy Agreement Universal Credit

Post by has1989 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:52 pm

My parents claim universal credit as a couple and they both are currently listed on the tenancy agreement. They are going to rent a new house and want to know if both of their names has to be on the rental agreement? Or only one person name is enough on the rental agreement to continue getting universal credit as a couple.

Thanks

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Tenancy Agreement Universal Credit

Post by Amber » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:10 am

As a couple, they’d be treated as jointly liable for the rent for UC even if not joint tenants on the tenancy agreement- as long as one of them is named. The issue really only proves problematic when a couple separate as it can create an “untidy tenancy”. I assume neither of your parents are subject to immigration control.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

has1989
Pakistan

Re: Tenancy Agreement Universal Credit

Post by has1989 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:36 pm

Thanks for the advice and yes they are not subject to immigration control as they have indefinite leave to remain.