ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application - Do you get your Naturalisation Certificate back?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

madakaczka
Newly Registered
Poland

Passport application - Do you get your Naturalisation Certificate back?

Post by madakaczka » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:38 pm

Hello,

I have attended the citizenship ceremony on June 20th and want to apply for my passport but cannot figure out if my citizenship certificate will be returned to me when I send it in for my passport application.

Any ideas?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Passport application - Do you get your Naturalisation Certificate back?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:44 pm

Of course you'll get it back - it's your property, just like your foreign passport.
Look after it, it's the document conferring citizenship - passport is a travel document.
NB. just realised you are asking for Ireland - but I think it's the same as for UK....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:57 pm

It is the same - it's what confirms you're Irish. Also, if you'll be doing a renewal as if first time (ie your last passport expired more than 5 years ago I think?), they'll ask for it again. They can't just take it away.

There's still option to send in a certified copy if you're worried, as stated in the Minister's reply - https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/qu ... -05-10/37/
Certified copies are now accepted for naturalisation and Foreign Birth Registration certificates, meaning these original documents also no longer need to be submitted.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:58 pm

Yes, it is returned if not lost by the department or by An Post. Most people are now sending a certified copy rather than original because of the number lost in the post. Some will be asked to then supply original (they spot check a proportion of applications) and then you have no choice.

Getting replacement certificates is taking months at the moment.

madakaczka
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by madakaczka » Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:07 pm

Ok that is great, many thanks for all your replies :) !