ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - 70 days final year

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PillowMan
Newly Registered
Ireland

Naturalisation - 70 days final year

Post by PillowMan » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:54 pm

Hi all,

I have read that a new law has been passed that allows applicants to be absent for up to 70 days in the last year before applying. I still see the citizens information page mentioning 6 weeks under the naturalisation page. Does that mean that the law has not yet been implemented? any news on when it would be implemented?

I am asking because i am planning on applying later this year, and I want to know if I can be out of the country for more than 6 weeks (less than 70 days) or is that too risky at this point?

Thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Naturalisation - 70 days final year

Post by meself2 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:07 pm

I wouldn't play around with absences beyond current allowance just in case, unless ISD states things are implemented. If at the point you apply they wouldn't change their internal procedures yet to adjust with the new law, it'll just cause unnecessary delays, despite you being correct by law.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

ackk
Ireland

Post by ackk » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:53 pm

PillowMan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:54 pm
Hi all,

I have read that a new law has been passed that allows applicants to be absent for up to 70 days in the last year before applying. I still see the citizens information page mentioning 6 weeks under the naturalisation page. Does that mean that the law has not yet been implemented? any news on when it would be implemented?

I am asking because i am planning on applying later this year, and I want to know if I can be out of the country for more than 6 weeks (less than 70 days) or is that too risky at this point?

Thanks.
I would strongly advice not to go beyond the 6 weeks rule unless in exceptional circumstances, you would need to back this up beyond reasonable doubt if exceeded.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:08 pm

PillowMan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:54 pm
Hi all,

Thanks.
Citizens Information have actually updated to 70 days for all years of residency:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/m ... 0residence.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:52 pm

I was told earlier that INIS’s website will be updated in due course. It should be safe to assume that the new allowance is 70 days per year from now on.

anjin_boduksan
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by anjin_boduksan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:35 am

Thanks for sharing this news!

I have a quick question: It seems to me that the law (Section 15C of the amendment) states that the absence day count "does not include part of a day" (e.g. the departure and arrival day).

In other words, if one leaves Ireland, say, on a Friday the 10th and arrives back on Monday the 13th, the total number of days to be deducted due to absence is 2 days.

Does that sound correct?

anjin_boduksan
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by anjin_boduksan » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:50 am

Just for convenience, here's a link to the relevant section in the Statute Book: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/202 ... /html#sec8

The relevant portion is Section 15C.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:11 pm

anjin_boduksan wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:35 am
Thanks for sharing this news!

I have a quick question: It seems to me that the law (Section 15C of the amendment) states that the absence day count "does not include part of a day" (e.g. the departure and arrival day).

In other words, if one leaves Ireland, say, on a Friday the 10th and arrives back on Monday the 13th, the total number of days to be deducted due to absence is 2 days.

Does that sound correct?
Day of departure and arrival don’t count as absences, that is correct.

tmarkand
Newly Registered
India

Post by tmarkand » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:19 am

littlerr wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:52 pm
I was told earlier that INIS’s website will be updated in due course. It should be safe to assume that the new allowance is 70 days per year from now on.
Could you please let us know where did you get that information?