ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS use

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

daizar
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

NHS use

Post by daizar » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:18 pm

HI, My mother came over to visit but unfortunately her Alzheimer worsened and now unable to travel. We made an application for ILR and been advised waiting time is around 9 months. In the meantime, as Primary care is free I have registered her with the GP as she is very ill.

I have asked the GP if we are entitled and been told, to leave it with them as they will provide her care as she is vulnerable and unable to wait any longer.

My question is, are we allowed to keep on using Primary care for her checkup for blood pressure, Alzheimer , blood test etc....? We have already paid the NHS surcharge but is it valid on day 1 or day of visa approval?

Please advise.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: NHS use

Post by lolo2 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:23 pm

The post is not very clear, who did apply for ILR? you or your mother? Also not sure what you mean with NHS surcharge, neither ILR nor visitor visa applicants need to pay IHS.

Some GP surgeries in England can provisionally register visitors - for up to three months - as long as they have capacity.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:43 pm

Are you sure you mean ILR, not done sort of DL/ADR?
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:05 pm

I presume that the OP has made an FLR(HR) or FLR(IR) application. If they made an ADR application, no IHS is payable. So I presume that it is not that.
daizar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:18 pm
We have already paid the NHS surcharge but is it valid on day 1 or day of visa approval?
It is valid from the day of visa approval, which may take quite a while, as visitors are typically not allowed to switch to another visa while in the UK (plus it is August and most Home Office staff will be on holiday).

Until the visa is approved, an in-time applicant in the UK remains on the same terms and conditions as the their previous visa. So, in this case, your mother would remain under the terms of the visit visa till the time her application is decided.
daizar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:18 pm
I have asked the GP if we are entitled and been told, to leave it with them as they will provide her care as she is vulnerable and unable to wait any longer.
Keep in mind that doctors are not knowledgeable about immigration costs and payable fees.

What will generally happen is that any billable services provided to your mother will be billed by the NHS Trust, which will have their own accounting team. And visitors are normally billed at 150% of cost.

The doctor will and should only look at the medical side of things. It is your mother and you, and the NHS Trust, who will have to look at the bills and how to pay for them.

Also see the guidance on implementing the overseas visitor charging regulations.
(Page 109 of the guidance linked to above)
The role of GPs and primary care

A patient does not need to be ordinarily resident in the UK to be eligible for NHS primary medical care. Therefore, anybody in England, including overseas visitors, may fully register as an NHS patient or as a temporary resident if they are to be in an area for between 24 hours and three months, and consult with a GP without charge.

This applies even if they may be chargeable for non-exempt relevant services. No registration application can be refused on the grounds of race, gender, class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, diversity or medical condition. In reality, this means that the practice’s discretion to refuse a patient is limited. There is no minimum period that a person needs to have been in the UK before a GP can register them, although practices may wish to consider the length of time the patient anticipates spending in the practice area when deciding whether to register the patient as a full or temporary patient.

Furthermore, GPs have a duty to provide free of charge treatment which they consider to be immediately necessary or an emergency, regardless of whether that person is an overseas visitor or registered with that practice. For further information on patient registration, please refer to Patient Registration: Standard Operating Principles for Primary Medical Care (General Practice) (2015) published by NHS England at:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/?s=Standard+ ... dical+Care

Being registered with a GP, or having an NHS number, does not give a person automatic entitlement to free treatment outside the GP practice. OVMs should ensure that local GPs understand this so that they do not unintentionally misinform their patients regarding charges outside the GP practice. Further, where the patient has indicated their consent by way of the patient declaration on the GSM1 form, GPs may identify in the referral letter any patient that may be an overseas visitor or is a qualifying EU or EFTA visitor.
However, GPs should not be discouraged from referring their patients to the relevant body. It is the relevant body’s duty, not the GP’s, to establish entitlement for free treatment outside the GP practice. Furthermore, neither relevant bodies nor anyone acting on their behalf should imply that a particular patient should not be registered with a GP practice as that is exclusively a matter for that GP.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

daizar
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by daizar » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:55 pm

application is for my mother over 80yrs old and diagnosed with Alzheimer. declining very fast, no longer recognises anybody including myself her only child. I have applied under Adult Dependant in country as she is no longer able to travel back.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:58 pm

Free NHS usage is only effective when and if a visa is approved.

Until then, you should be paying for her NHS usage at 150% cost.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:53 am

Blood tests; if not carried out at the GP surgery; have to be paid for. You could contact the Trust for a bill. In England, you can contact the OVM (Overseas Visitor Management) Team at the hospital.

If you live in England, the Trusts in NHS England must refuse secondary treatment (at hospital) until the full estimated cost of treatment is paid in full upfront first, billed as said @ 150% of the national cost. Only if the treatment is deemed by a clinician to be life threatening, is basic treatment given, but this is still billed at 150%. I doubt her travel insurance will cover her exisitng conditions and the policy might have a time limit (for any new treatment she needs) and therefore it is doubtful if you will be able to claim any money back that you had to pay to the NHS. Check her policy.

If you live in one of the other UK countries (NI, Scotland, Wales) you will need to read their policy on using their NHS.

Total NHS debt over £500 is reported to the Home Office, unless a payment plan is agreed and being kept to.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:56 am

daizar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:55 pm
application is for my mother over 80yrs old and diagnosed with Alzheimer. declining very fast, no longer recognises anybody including myself her only child. I have applied under Adult Dependant in country as she is no longer able to travel back.
Also consider that the ADR visa is one of the most difficult visas to obtain, you need to be prepared for any outcome.

Genuine question, who was looking after her back home before coming to the UK?

daizar
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by daizar » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:13 pm

nobody was looking after her, hence why she became to this state. couldnt find a proper carer. She overdosed her with medicines (by mistake) collapsed and fortunately neighbours saw her through the window and sent her to hospital.

I had no other choice but to bring her over here thinking it might improve her health but it didnt.

I am at a loss!

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:48 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Having dealt myself with people with that condition I cannot sympathize more.

The reason why I asked is that she might be in distress due to the change and for that reason you see her condition is worsening. That's a brutal disease and any change to their life can have a big impact on them, she even might be wishing to go back home.

This is not an immigration advice (I hope it's allowed) and I'm not a healthcare professional but try to talk to her and explain the reason why she's here. Not sure how's the weather back home but explain things like why the weather here changes that much and prepare herself for the British winter which could be harder for elderly coming to the UK with that disease.

I'd suggest booking an appointment with a private consultant with expertise in Alzheimer's and start working with them asap, of course depending on your financial circumstances. It can take some time to get an appointment with a consultant after registration in the NHS. Also contact the UK Alzheimer's Society for advice.