ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Turkish passport expires Nov 23

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NIKKI15810
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Turkish passport expires Nov 23

Post by NIKKI15810 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:24 pm

My husband is Turkish and currently has ILR in the UK. We are going to Turkey for 2 weeks in September on holiday. His Turkish passport expires in November this year. Is that going to cause any problems at the border when entering Turkey or arriving back in the UK? He was thinking about travelling over to Turkey with his current passport and getting a new one over there to come back to the UK with. Not sure if that will confuse matters as I will need to submit Advanced Passenger Information to the airline too. Thanks, Nikki :)

meself2
Ireland

Re: Turkish passport expires Nov 23

Post by meself2 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:41 pm

Won't be any issues; Turkey will, of course, accept his passport till last day it's due (he's a citizen, after all) and for UK if you're a BRP holder, it's okay as long as passport is valid.
NIKKI15810 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:24 pm
He was thinking about travelling over to Turkey with his current passport and getting a new one over there to come back to the UK with. Not sure if that will confuse matters as I will need to submit Advanced Passenger Information to the airline too.
Check with airline, maybe? What are you flying with?
Last time I was flying, I was inputting my data, including passport information, on check-in -> I could put a new passport number for my return flight as I was filling it out the day before my flight.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:55 pm

NIKKI15810 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:24 pm
He was thinking about travelling over to Turkey with his current passport and getting a new one over there to come back to the UK with
I've heard that Turkish nationals in the UK can obtain a new passport in a matter of few days, why he doesn't do this process before the trip? For peace of mind.

He can travel to Turkey - in a direct flight - even with an expired passport, he's a national of the country! But he obviously needs a valid one to travel elsewhere including the UK.

I only could think of the extra questioning at the airline counter in Turkey when back to the UK. Some airline staff can be very picky in terms of passport validity if you're not a national of the country you're flying to - even if you're a resident.

NIKKI15810
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by NIKKI15810 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:13 pm

Thank you both for the replies.

We're flying with TUI so I will try and contact them. I'd rather my husband just got a new passport here in the UK before going to Turkey but he can't get the time off to travel to the closest centre just now as it is quite a lengthy trip. He has a valid BRP.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:00 pm

NIKKI15810 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:13 pm
Thank you both for the replies.

We're flying with TUI so I will try and contact them. I'd rather my husband just got a new passport here in the UK before going to Turkey but he can't get the time off to travel to the closest centre just now as it is quite a lengthy trip. He has a valid BRP.
Passport is valid till it's last day. Travelling to Turkey isn't a problem with a valid Turkish passport.

Travelling back from Turkey to the UK on a new passport (issued in Turkey) isn't problem either. If coming to the UK before the expiration of the other passport, that as well is fine.
Because he's resident in the UK, that isn't a problem. He's also going home.

He might be asked at the POE why he has a new passport. He just needs to explain. EO's are always pedantic about brand new passports.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!