ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visit Visa NHS ( MOM +77)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JB786
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

visit Visa NHS ( MOM +77)

Post by JB786 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:41 pm

Hi,
My mom is 77 Year OLD.

I am holding British nationality and Recently My mom got a 2-year Visit Visa from back home.

She came to Uk 2 months ago and is currently in the UK, she had a visit before 3 times as well 2018 and 2019.

1-MY question is if she allows to go to NHS hospital for some treatment or check-up.

2-Also Can she register GP And get an appointment for a checkup?

3-she single parent no body looks after in back home, can I apply for her settlement in the UK in any category? inside the UK or she has to go back and then apply? Please guide me in detail if possible.

Thanks
SON

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: visit Visa NHS ( MOM +77)

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:51 pm

Does your mother have private health insurance? Without this cover, NHS treatment will be charged @ 150% of the cost. The NHS are required to notify the Home Office of any outstanding NHS fees over £500.

Regarding your mother remaining in the UK, it's not possible to apply for any other category of visa while in the UK as a visitor,
The comments below contain much of the advice I posted yesterday in another thread, amended according to your mother's case:
Very few applications for an Adult Dependent visa have succeeded, since the Immigration Rules were tightened in July 2012.
In order to stand any chance of success, your mother would have to submit documented evidence that she meets the following conditions:
She requires daily help with simple tasks such as bathing, dressing and preparing food
AND
That help isn't available in her home country or is not affordable. You haven't mentioned which country your mother normally resides in.

The Case Worker will consider that if you are able to afford the necessary care in the UK, you will be able to cover the costs in her home country.

Among the relatively small percentage of applications which have been approved. many of these have been after lengthy and costly Court appeals, or the parent is living in a country with higher care costs, such as the USA.

If she submits an application for an Adult Dependent visa and is refused, the option to continue to visit you in the UK will be closed, due to her prior intention to settle.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

JB786
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JB786 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:04 pm

Thanks for the update.
She is from Pakistan.

No, she doesn't have any private health insurance shall I take it now if any emergency if I have a checkup or some small treatments in case?

2-I spoke to GP about registering in and they ask me for some documents VISA, Passport after sending the documents they registered my mom in GP and got confirmation.

3-NOW If I book an appointment it cost 150% rate?

4-if she goes back and applies for settlement (based on me) and is rejected she is not able to come as a visitor?
she is 77+ and not able to do anything now it is hard to bet, eat, etc ( daily help required)

Thank you
son

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:21 am

JB786 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:04 pm
Thanks for the update.
She is from Pakistan.

No, she doesn't have any private health insurance shall I take it now if any emergency if I have a checkup or some small treatments in case?

2-I spoke to GP about registering in and they ask me for some documents VISA, Passport after sending the documents they registered my mom in GP and got confirmation. Registration as temporary by GP can be done.

3-NOW If I book an appointment it cost 150% rate? Yes If she gets any treatment

4-if she goes back and applies for settlement (based on me) and is rejected she is not able to come as a visitor? That is correct as she has already expressed intention of staying in UK.
she is 77+ and not able to do anything now it is hard to bet, eat, etc ( daily help required)

Thank you
son
It is clearly indicated what can not be done as a visitor, it includes .....switching to another visa.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:30 am

To the best of my knowledge, GP care and A&E is free even for overseas visitors.

But if there is any hospital stay or treatment involved, even if that is referred by the GP or A&E, then that is chargeable, as mentioned above, @150% of NHS cost.

It is unlikely that you will get private health insurance now, given your mother's age and even if you do, they will not cover pre-existing issues. You'd better have some savings set aside for this.

Did she take out any travel insurance before she traveled? That may provide some health coverage. Check its terms and conditions.

And, as mentioned above by Casa, an Adult Dependent Relative visa is hard to get with the number of visas being issued in the last few years being in single digits coming down to zero in some years.
JB786 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:04 pm
4-if she goes back and applies for settlement (based on me) and is rejected she is not able to come as a visitor?
You also need to prove that such help is either unavailable or unaffordable in her country of habitual residence, even with your financial help. As such help would be cheaper in the Subcontinent compared to the UK, if you can afford such help here, you can afford to pay it in her country of habitual residence.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 am

If you are considering applying for anything other than asylum there is a near zero chance of an application being successful. You might want to have a look at leave outside the rules routes. Discretionary leave is problematic and in the stated circumstances it will be difficult to convince the Home Office that the circumstances warrant the grant of leave.

A visit visa entry and then a “sudden” diagnosis of a long term illness is unlikely to be considered credible and will almost certainly be seen as an attempt to circumvent the entry as an adult dependent. Expect a long, expensive and bumpy journey no matter what route you choose.

Also expect her current visit visa to be cancelled. And once you apply for any form of stay that leads to settlement your Mum will almost certainly not be granted a visit visa again.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:00 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:30 am
To the best of my knowledge, GP care and A&E is free even for overseas visitors.

But if there is any hospital stay or treatment involved, even if that is referred by the GP or A&E, then that is chargeable, as mentioned above, @150% of NHS cost.
Tests that the GP surgery sends away, must be paid for.

EHICs are required for A&E visits for those living in the EEA, or if they can get their NHS treatment paid for by their EEA country.

For NHS England (where hospitals have the extra protection of the Charging Regulations 2017) a pre-booked appointment at A&E would be billed and must be paid in advance of treatment @150% of the national NHS cost, because that is regarded as an out-patient appointment ,which is not a free service. e.g. eye clinics held at A&E; physiotherapy etc

Even charges for services outside of the hospital must now be billed in England @ 150%. Prior to 21 August 2017, these services were exempt from charge in England.e.g. District Nursing Services as the staff are employed or directed by,a hospital.

NHS England staff cannot now waive any charges and must refuse treatment if the full estimated cost of treatment is not paid upfront as the UK expects that visitor to go home for any treatment, or they can pay the NHS in advance of treatment. Visitors claim the money back that they have paid to the NHS, from their travel insurers. Only a clinician can say the treatment is life saving to be able for them to then leave the UK, where they don't have to pay up front, but they are still billed at 150%

If the OP is living in another of the UK nations (NI, Scotland, Wales) he would have to look to see what their NHS would give for free.