ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for ILR (o) during work redundancy threat

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kamsa_2023
Newly Registered
Mood:
Korea South

Application for ILR (o) during work redundancy threat

Post by kamsa_2023 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:54 am

Hi all,

My tier 2 BRP starting date in 2018 is 5th September 2018.

My Original plan was to apply for my ILR (o) in August 2023, but my work recently made me redundant and confirmed verbally that my last day is 31st July 2023 (still waiting for the confirmation email from the HR).

As I am only missing just 8 days before my ILR application date, I will try my best to convince my employer about keeping me for additional time to buy myself more time until my ILR gets approved.

I already have the employment letter with the 'foreseeable future' stated clearly in the PDF and I am good to submit my ILR application on 8th August 2023 using 1 day super priority service.

I have spoken to a trustable resource and he confirmed that the Home Office will check if I am employed for both dates <ILR application date & ILR decision date>

Using the assumption that my employer has not informed the Home Office about my last working day in the company until my ILR (o) has been approved, would it qualify all my requirements? I just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about how the home office's visa sponsor checking on ILR decision date works please?

Last but not least, this is my first time that my employer is making someone who is about to submit her ILR (o) application redundant. As the company previously made someone who is on a visa sponsor redundant and she still had few years to go before her ILR (o) application date, employer informed the Home Office so that her tier 2 visa gets curtailed.

Once my ILR (o) gets approved, I want to educate my employer that they don't have to inform anything to the Home Office. Where can I find this information so that I can pass this to my employer please? A legal binding statement / official guideline from the government website page would be beneficial for my case.

Just for your information, I did consider about using my tier 2 application date and count the earliest date for my ILR application date and also considered submitting ILR (o) application in mid-end of July and attend biometric on 8th August. So if you have similar experiences about getting redundant just before you submit your ILR (o) application, please do kindly share with me on your great tips.

Thanks a lot for all your ideas and support in advance.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Application for ILR (o) during work redundancy threat

Post by zimba » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:45 pm

You cannot haggle your way out of the immigration system. No one can tell you what the UKVI internal procedures are. However, the UKVI very likely seeks to verify your employment status with your sponsor. Also, note that your employer letter must be dated within 28 days of applying for ILR so an old letter cannot be used.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:56 pm

As part of your ILR under the worker route application your employer has to confirm in writing you remain employed and Will CONTINUE to be employed in the same role. So that would suggest you will have issues regardless of whatever your thought process might be.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:29 am

kamsa_2023 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:54 am
Hi all,

My tier 2 BRP starting date in 2018 is 5th September 2018.

My Original plan was to apply for my ILR (o) in August 2023, but my work recently made me redundant and confirmed verbally that my last day is 31st July 2023 (still waiting for the confirmation email from the HR).

As I am only missing just 8 days before my ILR application date, I will try my best to convince my employer about keeping me for additional time to buy myself more time until my ILR gets approved.

I already have the employment letter with the 'foreseeable future' stated clearly in the PDF and I am good to submit my ILR application on 8th August 2023 using 1 day super priority service.

I have spoken to a trustable resource and he confirmed that the Home Office will check if I am employed for both dates <ILR application date & ILR decision date>

Using the assumption that my employer has not informed the Home Office about my last working day in the company until my ILR (o) has been approved, would it qualify all my requirements? I just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about how the home office's visa sponsor checking on ILR decision date works please?

Last but not least, this is my first time that my employer is making someone who is about to submit her ILR (o) application redundant. As the company previously made someone who is on a visa sponsor redundant and she still had few years to go before her ILR (o) application date, employer informed the Home Office so that her tier 2 visa gets curtailed.

Once my ILR (o) gets approved, I want to educate my employer that they don't have to inform anything to the Home Office. Where can I find this information so that I can pass this to my employer please? A legal binding statement / official guideline from the government website page would be beneficial for my case.

Just for your information, I did consider about using my tier 2 application date and count the earliest date for my ILR application date and also considered submitting ILR (o) application in mid-end of July and attend biometric on 8th August. So if you have similar experiences about getting redundant just before you submit your ILR (o) application, please do kindly share with me on your great tips.

Thanks a lot for all your ideas and support in advance.

Sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, your options are limited. An option would have been to negotiate with your employer to keep you for some months and explain that you are only a few days short of qualifying for your ILR. Keeping you for maybe 6 month might allow them to be able to issue you all the necessary documents to support your application. But again, there is no guarantee that they would do that for you, as it might easily be taken as deceit. They can’t just keep you for the purpose of ILR and make you redundant afterward. They will need to confirm that you are employed and would still be needed for the foreseeable future. You will not meet the foreseeable future part of the requirements. So your best option will be to look for another sponsor immediately.
I am not sure if you can apply to change sponsor and vary it to ILR.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

kamsa_2023
Newly Registered
Mood:
Korea South

Post by kamsa_2023 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 am

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments.
Especially the last person whose nickname is Djsuccess. Your words are very thoughtful.

I have managed to get all the documents from my tier 2 sponsor and got my ILR approved last week.
And got my BRP delivered.

I am still upset that my employer made me redundant when I still needed them bit longer for my ILR application, but at the same time, I feel grateful that my redundancy happened when it was so close to my ILR application due date.

Additionally, the penalty charge from the employer side for the remaining fee if employee was to resign before the tier 2 BRP ending date has been waived off for my case, which is a brilliant outcome.

Thanks again!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:28 am

kamsa_2023 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:21 am
Hi all,

Especially the last person whose nickname is Djsuccess. Your words are very thoughtful.

I have managed to get all the documents from my tier 2 sponsor and got my ILR approved last week.

I am still upset that my employer made me redundant when I still needed them bit longer for my ILR application, but at the same time, I feel grateful that my redundancy happened when it was so close to my ILR application due date.

Additionally, the penalty charge from the employer side for the remaining fee if employee was to resign before the tier 2 BRP ending date has been waived off for my case, which is a brilliant outcome.

Thanks again!
Congratulations

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:35 pm

kamsa_2023 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks again!

Congratulations
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

mickeyj18
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Post by mickeyj18 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:45 pm

kamsa_2023 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks again!
Q: Were you able to get the requisite documents from the employer who made you redundant or you found a new job/ sponsor?

I am in a similar situation as you and my employer has refused to issue the letter; as I am serving the notice period right now.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:50 pm

OP wasn't on the forum for 3 months at this point.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.