ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Translation of bank statements for visit visa

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

learner__
Newly Registered
Ireland

Translation of bank statements for visit visa

Post by learner__ » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping to visit Ireland on a C visa in a few months time.

My bank will issue me a balance statement in English - but I'm looking at a cost of ~€200 for translation of my six months of bank statements (with transaction details) into English.

Does anyone have an idea if a balance statement would suffice (with an otherwise strong application) or is the six months of statements a hard and fast requirement?

Thanks very much!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Translation of bank statements for visit visa

Post by meself2 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:21 pm

What is a balance statement, one that shows how much money you have and that's it?

The purpose of showing a bank statement is to make sure a) you have movement in your account (it wasn't open just for a visa) and b) to make sure your money are your money, earned fairly and not borrowed (so you didn't borrow money off someone 5 days ago, applied for a visa and transferred money back, as that'll be reflected in the statement), plus to see if your income matches what's stated.
If you can't show either of those in your balance statement, I'm afraid it won't do.
Ask your bank if they can issue you the bank statement in English, maybe.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:45 am

Not sure in your birth country but in mine I’ve used in the past a public notary to translate bank statements into English which was much cheaper than the Bank doing the same. Maybe you might have something similar where you are from that’s cheaper to translate?

All the best

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:47 am

I might be wrong but I don’t ever recall any requirement to have a bank statement translation certified. Most people just do translation by themselves. Worst case scenario you can do the translation yourself and then get a certified body to sign and stamp it.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 am

That's tricky.
https://irishimmigration.ie/coming-to-v ... rist-visa/ states that:
You must provide a full and certified translation into the English or Irish language of any documents not in English or Irish. Send us both the original documents and the certified translations.
But is bank statement a document that they refer to? They state "any documents".
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

learner__
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by learner__ » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:41 pm

Yep, it's tricky. Obviously my statements show amounts coming in and out corresponding to my salary, and the consistent balance over time, but the text describing it isn't in English. Seems an awful lot to have to spend just to provide this. (Six months of statements is a lot of pages!)

I can't be the first one in this position - but I'm struggling to find any similar questions (or answers) here or elsewhere on the internet.

Any other suggestions welcome!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:40 am

As I said (and as a nation of people who used to deal with these visa craps all the time), bank statements are not something that you typically ask certified translators to translate for you.

Certified translators translate standard official documents such as driving licences and birth certificates. Other non-standard documents such as bank statements, legal contracts, you just translate by yourself and get translators to have your documents stamped.

In China there are translation organisations who can stamp your translated document for a small amount of money. You simply translate by yourself and get a translator to stamp it. When I sold my property in China and transferred the money to Ireland, I needed to do this property sale contract translation myself to prove the large sum of money coming in to my Irish account was legit. I got the translation organisation to stamp it for roughly 10 euro.