ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR SET(M) - Time spent outside the UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Self submission of ILR application - Initial questions

Post by TheHappyChicken » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:14 pm

There are so many forum boards here and technical jargon, so please bear with me!

I am a British Citizen.
September 2018, my spouse was granted their first spouse visa (5-year route), what I believe to be Leave to Enter?
January 2022 (After 2.5 years), went through our first renewal.

Our 5 years will be in September 2023, and I understand that now we can apply for our Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Previous two times we have used a lawyer, however with the cost of living going up, and the knowledge of previous evidence we provided with our first application and renewal, we believe we would be able to stumble through the ILR process ourselves - With the help from this forum hopefully.

I have all the previous emails and evidence we provided to the lawyers for our application and 2.5-year renewal so I am basically using that as a blueprint for this application.

So question time:
1. Am I in the right forum section? - ILR is correct after a 5-year spouse visa holding Leave to Enter?
2. Am I irresponsible to attempt this ourselves?
3. Is there one forum post that has advice and links to walk us through this process? Any videos on the process and walking you through the online submission of our application?

meself2
Ireland

Re: Self submission of ILR application - Initial questions

Post by meself2 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:37 pm

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:14 pm
1. Am I in the right forum section?
Yes.
TheHappyChicken wrote:
2. Am I irresponsible to attempt this ourselves?
No.
TheHappyChicken wrote:
3. Is there one forum post that has advice and links to walk us through this process? Any videos on the process and walking you through the online submission of our application?
It shouldn't be as complicated as you imagine. Go through it yourself and if you're encounter an issue, search it on the forum or ask in this thread. You may also ask your solicitor for the copy of your previous application, so you have it for reference.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:24 am

TheHappyChicken wrote:
There are so many forum boards here and technical jargon, so please bear with me!

I am a British Citizen.
September 2018, my spouse was granted their first spouse visa (5-year route), what I believe to be Leave to Enter?
January 2022 (After 2.5 years), went through our first renewal.

Our 5 years will be in September 2023, and I understand that now we can apply for our Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Previous two times we have used a lawyer, however with the cost of living going up, and the knowledge of previous evidence we provided with our first application and renewal, we believe we would be able to stumble through the ILR process ourselves - With the help from this forum hopefully.

I have all the previous emails and evidence we provided to the lawyers for our application and 2.5-year renewal so I am basically using that as a blueprint for this application.

So question time:
1. Am I in the right forum section? - ILR is correct after a 5-year spouse visa holding Leave to Enter? Yes, she will be apply for ILR SET(M) which means Indefinite Leave to Remain Settlement(Marriage)
2. Am I irresponsible to attempt this ourselves? No, if you start your preparations early enough and are open to asking questions on the forum it will be a walk in the park.

3. Is there one forum post that has advice and links to walk us through this process? No, read through the various topics to catch ideas, where clarification is required do not hesitate to ask. Any videos on the process and walking you through the online submission of our application? Not on this forum, you may find elsewhere

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:25 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I actually managed to find a printout from our previous submission which made this process very easy (creating a fake account and copying from the old one), although there are some minor changes in the order of questions or wording, they are basically the same.

Doing a dry run of this process has filled me with a bit more confidence, and knowing we will save ourselves a few thousand pounds.

I have reached the end of my fake application and I am at the stage to pay. I can only assume you upload the documents after paying since I have not seen anything so far, but I would like to see what this looks like.

Question: When do you upload the documents and what does that process look like?
- Do you dump all documents in one go?
- Are there sections to upload documents to?
- What if the same document is being used in multiple sections? (i.e. Council tax evidence for accommodation in the UK, AND evidence of living together)
- Is there an 'other' section? (There was nothing on the GOV website after completing the form to provide evidence of the relationship, however, in both previous applications we provided photos and feel it is a good idea to do so this time).

Thanks again :)

*Looking at other posts, I think mods like questions to be posted in the same forum post rather than multiple new posts. Hope I have this right!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:08 am

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:25 pm
Thanks for your replies.

I actually managed to find a printout from our previous submission which made this process very easy (creating a fake account and copying from the old one), although there are some minor changes in the order of questions or wording, they are basically the same.

Doing a dry run of this process has filled me with a bit more confidence, and knowing we will save ourselves a few thousand pounds.

I have reached the end of my fake application and I am at the stage to pay. I can only assume you upload the documents after paying since I have not seen anything so far, but I would like to see what this looks like.

Question: When do you upload the documents and what does that process look like?
- Do you dump all documents in one go? Scan and same each document to make processing your application easier. Each not to exceed 6MB.
- Are there sections to upload documents to? Yes, though not strictly to be adhered to, just ensure you upload all required supporting documents. CW will go through all no matter under what or which section its uploaded.
- What if the same document is being used in multiple sections? (i.e. Council tax evidence for accommodation in the UK, AND evidence of living together)
Yes, not an issue, your BRP will also be likely used multiple times
- Is there an 'other' section? (There was nothing on the GOV website after completing the form to provide evidence of the relationship, however, in both previous applications we provided photos and feel it is a good idea to do so this time). Photos not needed, what you feel doesn't come into it, do what is required. There are those who went over the requirements and unknowingly killed their own applications.

Thanks again :)

*Looking at other posts, I think mods like questions to be posted in the same forum post rather than multiple new posts. Hope I have this right! Yes, absolutely

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:01 am

I am finding most evidence is used for each application (Initial Spouse visa, 2.5y renewal, and now ILR).

Maybe I am over thinking this, but would you re-use the same digital file you used for the previous application (ie a scanned copy of your marriage certificate), or would you take a new copy.

I am thinking that the exif data for the file will have the original date from 2021.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:04 am

You are overthinking.
Marriage certificate would not change in 2.5 years, it wouldn't be changing at all. With this logic, you have to request a new paper copy of your birth certificate from your country every time you need to send it somewhere.
I also highly doubt they go that deep to check the scans.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:16 am

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:01 am
I am finding most evidence is used for each application (Initial Spouse visa, 2.5y renewal, and now ILR).

Maybe I am over thinking this, but would you re-use the same digital file you used for the previous application (ie a scanned copy of your marriage certificate), or would you take a new copy.

I am thinking that the exif data for the file will have the original date from 2021.
You do not even need to send your marriage certificate again :?
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Self submission of ILR application - Life In The UK - PASSED

Post by TheHappyChicken » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:51 am

My partner took their Life in the UK test within the last couple of days and PASSED!

We were not told verbally at the test center (I'm pretty sure the original email told us we would be told straight away), instead, we were told by the test center staff that we would receive an email with the outcome.

My partner cannot pinpoint any question they got incorrect, so we may have got a 100% pass but the confirmation email and portal just reference a pass rather than a score.

For anyone worried about taking the test, our advice is to just put in the time to study and give yourself plenty of time without the added pressure - You do not need to wait until your final months to take the test!

We used a mixture of online tests (you will find various websites/apps for practice tests). We also bought the official set of 4 TSO books for under £12 for context which was well worth it.

Onwards to completing the form in the upcoming days.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Self submission of ILR application - Life In The UK - PASSED

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:02 pm

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:51 am
My partner took their Life in the UK test within the last couple of days and PASSED!

We were not told verbally at the test center (I'm pretty sure the original email told us we would be told straight away), instead, we were told by the test center staff that we would receive an email with the outcome.

My partner cannot pinpoint any question they got incorrect, so we may have got a 100% pass but the confirmation email and portal just reference a pass rather than a score.
PASS and that's what's required.
For anyone worried about taking the test, our advice is to just put in the time to study and give yourself plenty of time without the added pressure - You do not need to wait until your final months to take the test!

We used a mixture of online tests (you will find various websites/apps for practice tests). We also bought the official set of 4 TSO books for under £12 for context which was well worth it.

Onwards to completing the form in the upcoming days.
Congratulations.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

ILR SET(M) - Time spent outside the UK

Post by TheHappyChicken » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:00 pm

New topic created because my original one is locked.

I am starting to fill in the ILR SET(M), and the first question I am stuck on is:
Time spent outside the UK

Since you started living in the UK have you spent any other time outside the UK?
(Required)
Do not include holidays of 2 weeks or less. Include any periods of time you have spent on the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey.

What time span do they require, it is not clear. The full 5 years of being in the UK? Or the last 2.5 years since the renewal?

Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR SET(M) - Time spent outside the UK

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:18 pm

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:00 pm
New topic created because my original one is locked.

I am starting to fill in the ILR SET(M), and the first question I am stuck on is:
Time spent outside the UK

Since you started living in the UK have you spent any other time outside the UK?
(Required)
Do not include holidays of 2 weeks or less. Include any periods of time you have spent on the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey.

What time span do they require, it is not clear. The full 5 years of being in the UK? Or the last 2.5 years since the renewal?

Thanks.
Topics merged.

The full 5 years, as the question clearly states, ie. "since you started living in the UK".
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:57 pm

Sorry CR001, you are absolutely right, it does say. :oops:
I think it's time I put down the form and go again tomorrow with a clear head.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:47 pm

Hello, it's me again.
Making final preparations for the SET(M) submission, and 2 questions have come to mind.

1. "How long has your partner lived in the UK?"
There is no "from birth", it accepts years/months only.
I am I British citizen from birth and lived for most of my life, however, lived outside the UK for a number of years (Let's say 25%).

Would our response to this question would be my return date to the UK?

2. And then a set of questions based on my partner's country of birth:
2.1 Do you have any family in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years? - List their names, where they live, how you are related to them, and what type of contact you have with them.

2.2 Do you have any friends in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years? - List their names, where they live, how you are related to them, and what type of contact you have with them

2.3 Are you part of any social groups or do you have other cultural ties in your country of birth, nationality or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years? - List the social networks or connections, where they are located and your involvement with them

Now while these questions (2.1, 2.2, 2.3) are straightforward, they ask for quite an in-depth explanation for each which we never had to provide on our 2.5 year renewal. The closest question was "What family or friends do you have in the country where you were born?" and our lawyer last time simply answered with "{Country} - family"

Any advice on how in-depth we answer this question? We would prefer not to provide the fingerprints and DNA of each friend/family member.

Thanks! :)

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:51 pm

None of these questions matter. Provide minimal information
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR SET(M) - What to expect after paying?

Post by TheHappyChicken » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:43 pm

We are ready to pay in the next day or two! Online form filled in and checked, documents ready to be uploaded. We will do 1 more pass over the online form and the document checklist before clicking pay.

Super nervous, reading from other people's mistakes; Worst case scenario we seem to be moved over to a 10-year route which would be a disaster!

What should we expect after paying?
- I understand the application fee is 2404.00 GBP. At what stage do we have the option for any sort of fast-tracked service and how much is it (I didn't see anything obvious on the form)?
- How long do we have after paying to upload our documents?
- What happens after documents are uploaded?
- When/How do we sort out the Biometrics appointment?

Thank you. :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:48 pm

What should we expect after paying?
- I understand the application fee is 2404.00 GBP. At what stage do we have the option for any sort of fast-tracked service and how much is it (I didn't see anything obvious on the form)?
If the Super Priority is available, it will be on the payment page to select. It costs an extra £800. It is also not a guaranteed service.
- How long do we have after paying to upload our documents?
You have 45 days to attend the biometric appointment. Documents must be uploaded before the appointment.
- What happens after documents are uploaded?
You need to book and attend the biometric appointment.
- When/How do we sort out the Biometrics appointment?
You will be directed to the UKCVAS portal after you pay for the application. This is also where you upload the documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR SET(M) - Family Consent

Post by TheHappyChicken » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:48 am

Hi, 2.5 years ago during our renewal, we had to sign a family consent document https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... onsent.pdf

For the ILR I don't recall seeing anything of this, only the family declaration (which we also signed during the renewal 2.5y ago) https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ration.pdf

Have I missed information on signing the family consent document for ILR or is it not required?

Thanks.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:59 pm

Both are needed

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:20 pm

Have I missed information on signing the family consent document for ILR or is it not required?
For ILR, that form doesn't exist.

I believe it might be because once you've done your time and meet the requirements, the natural progression is ILR.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

safmdkhan
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by safmdkhan » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:40 pm

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:48 am
Hi, 2.5 years ago during our renewal, we had to sign a family consent document https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... onsent.pdf

For the ILR I don't recall seeing anything of this, only the family declaration (which we also signed during the renewal 2.5y ago) https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... ration.pdf

Thanks.
Document checklist for ILT SET (M) has only family_declaration.pdf

It does not have family_consent.pdf which was required during 2.5 FLR (M). Can you confirm if this is not required for ILR SET (M) now ?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:10 am

This can be downloaded by using the online search engines.
There was a recent report of forum member who applied without it and was successful. If I locate the post will share it.
In your shoes, won't leave to chances, will download and fill.

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:02 pm

safmdkhan wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:40 pm
TheHappyChicken wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:48 am

Thanks.
Document checklist for ILT SET (M) has only family_declaration.pdf

It does not have family_consent.pdf which was required during 2.5 FLR (M). Can you confirm if this is not required for ILR SET (M) now ?
It was required, it was presented to me at some point during the application. I cannot recall at what stage but it was presented to me at some point between submitting and uploading the mendatory documents. Maybe at the point of paying the HO fees?

TheHappyChicken
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by TheHappyChicken » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:43 am

We have our ILR granted and received the new Residence Card/BRP with "Settlement" and "Indefinite Leave To Remain" printed on it. :D

One question though, there is a valid until date on it of Dec 2024. While it is probably our intention to apply for dual nationality, if we choose against that, what will we need to do for December 2024? It was my understanding with ILR we can now leave and re-enter the UK within 2 years and we will not lose our ILR and that's now the end of the visa processes. But perhaps I was mistaken?

Massive thanks to everyone on this forum who provided assistance and gave us the confidence to complete the ILR process ourselves. It was fairly straightforward in the end with a bit of research and your answers; it saved us so much on the lawyers' fees we have paid during previous applications.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:56 am

TheHappyChicken wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:43 am
what will we need to do for December 2024?
Most likely nothing. We don't know yet.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... rt-problem
If your BRP expires on 31 December 2024
You do not need to tell UKVI if your BRP expires on 31 December 2024 but your immigration status (for example, your visa) allows you to stay longer.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025. You’ll be able to prove your immigration status online, without a BRP.

UKVI will update their information on how to prove your immigration status in early 2024. You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.