ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Go to Paris before getting my IRP Card

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IAMorse
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Go to Paris before getting my IRP Card

Post by IAMorse » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:23 pm

Hey,

I'm from the U.S. over here to get my masters. I have my IRP appointment in a couple days. I was also thinking about hoping over to Paris for a few days next week. As a US citizen can i travel to Paris and then reenter Ireland without my physical IRP card? I believe they will stamp my passport at the appointment but don't know if that's enough to prove I have the right to remain in Ireland. There are other threads with similar questions but I can't find a solid answer for US citizens and the need for an IRP card upon return to Ireland.

Thanks!

meself2
Ireland

Re: Go to Paris before getting my IRP Card

Post by meself2 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:35 pm

IAMorse wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:23 pm
As a US citizen can i travel to Paris and then reenter Ireland without my physical IRP card?
As a US citizen, technically, you could go to Paris and back without issues, since both France and Ireland allow you to go as a visitor.
IAMorse wrote:
I believe they will stamp my passport at the appointment
Would they? I'm not sure if they do anymore.
UPD: Was told they do. Then you're fine.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Omi00007
United Kingdom

Post by Omi00007 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:50 am

IAMorse wrote:
I believe they will stamp my passport at the appointment
Would they? I'm not sure if they do anymore.
UPD: Was told they do. Then you're fine.
[/quote]

My spouse recently went to renew her Stamp 4 (withdrawal agreement) to our local Garda immigration office, where she was informed that since her passport was already stamped when she got her first stamp 4, they won't stamp the passport again.

I also verified it with the Garda immigration officer myself afterwards and he confirmed that for (unknown) reason they are asked not to stamp passports that have already been stamped in the past (even if it's expired).

Hope this helps!

IAMorse
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by IAMorse » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 am

Thanks for the info! I'm still a bit unsure though that a stamp in my passport will be enough without the physical irp card

Omi00007
United Kingdom

Post by Omi00007 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:18 am

IAMorse wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 am
Thanks for the info! I'm still a bit unsure though that a stamp in my passport will be enough without the physical irp card
Like @meself2 has advised above, as you are a US citizen you are technically OK to travel to France and back to Ireland without the IRP. TBH, If I was in your situation, I wouldn't be worried especially when you'll have the stamp on your passport prior to leaving for France, as well.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:38 pm

IAMorse wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:01 am
stamp in my passport will be enough without the physical irp card
What exactly are your worries?
You'll be let in France and back fine; you might have to explain the situation on the border (expected IRP card to arrive sooner, for example), but don't think there'll be any issues.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

IAMorse
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by IAMorse » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:27 am

Hey all, Thought I'd post the answer I got from the immigration officer at my IRP Appointment.
The immigration officer said That i should be fine because she put a stamp in my passport and I have the receipt from the appointment showing that I applied for the IRP card. The physical card will come in the mail after my trip.

Thanks for all the help!