ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national trying to live in the UK after brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kofi75

EU national trying to live in the UK after brexit

Post by kofi75 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:39 pm

Good Evening,
Please my cousin is a Spanish citizen who entered UK last year.She enrolled for secondary school and has passed her GCSE but the challenge is she is being asked to produce her status to be accepted into University. She is living with our Aunty who is under the EUSS.
Please I need an advice as to how she can regularised her stay.
Thank you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: EU national trying to live in the UK after brexit

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:17 am

kofi75 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:39 pm
Good Evening,
Please my cousin is a Spanish citizen who entered UK last year.She enrolled for secondary school and has passed her GCSE but the challenge is she is being asked to produce her status to be accepted into University. She is living with our Aunty who is under the EUSS.
Thank you.
Did your cousin enter the UK last year as a visitor?

See the information in the link below
https://study-uk.britishcouncil.org/mov ... ent-advice
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

kofi75

Post by kofi75 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:01 pm

Thank you for the prompt response.
Yes please She entered as a visitor

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:32 pm

kofi75 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:01 pm
Has her 6 months visitor expired? In order to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme the cut-off was 30 June 2021.

In my honest opinion, she would need to return to Spain and apply for a Student visa from there. However, wait for others to advise if she has any other options.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:17 pm

kofi75 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:01 pm
She's overstayed in the UK by at least 3 months. That's never going to be in her favour.

The rules are different now. It's one rule for all!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:05 pm

How old is your cousin? How did your aunt acquire status under the EUSS? As an EEA citizen, as the spouse of an EEA citizen or in some other way?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:04 pm

kofi75 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:39 pm
She enrolled for secondary school and has passed her GCSE but the challenge is she is being asked to produce her status to be accepted into University.
Do you mean A-levels? You need A-levels to apply for University.
She is living with our Aunty who is under the EUSS.
On top of @secret.simon's questions, it is important you clarify what is her relationship to your aunt. Is your aunt her mother, or her aunt? (I could assume is her aunt, but just double checking).

This is important because aunts-nieces are extended family, and there is no provision for extended family members to join EU nationals under the EU Settlement Scheme, if she is not dependant and did not arrive in the UK before December 31st 2020. After that date, the route is only for direct descendants.
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... ily-member
You can also apply if you’re related to someone from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein - or you’re related to their spouse or civil partner - if you’re their:

child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old
dependent child, grandchild or great-grandchild over the age of 21
You can also apply as a dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent if you have a relevant document to prove your relationship.

You can apply as another type of dependent relative if both of the following apply:

you were living in the UK by 31 December 2020
you have a relevant document to prove your relationship
You don't just go to a country, overstay your visa, then regularise your stay. It does not work like that. You usually need to have come through a legal route and in that sense I agree with @Casa, the way to go is very likely for her to go back to Spain and do it correctly with a student visa from the start. That is exactly what Brexit brought about, I'm afraid.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:31 pm

If she’s over 18, then her overstay may trigger a 1 year re-entry ban.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.