ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Citizenship by descent: making connections between records

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Frances#7
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Irish Citizenship by descent: making connections between records

Post by Frances#7 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:13 pm

Hello folks,

I have encountered a problem with my Irish citizenship by descent application as my Irish-born grandfather is not on his children's birth certificates (they have his family name, but the father's details section is blank on the certificates, so their father could be anyone with his family name). My grandparents were not married.

I'm guessing it's not unheard of for fathers during in the mid-1900s to have not signed their children's birth certificates and I'm just wondering if anyone else in this situation has been successful in their application.

I have all of the records for the people in my line of descent but I cannot make this direct connection from my parent's name to my grandfather's full name.

Do anyone have any advice?

Much appreciated!

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Irish Citizenship by descent: making connections between records

Post by Vadrar » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:27 pm

Is your parent who is related to them still alive or passed away? If deceased does their death certificate list their father? Do they have any other documents listing their fathers name (school enrolment, medical reports, emergency contact on licence)

Does your grandfather’s death cert (if he has passed) list his children?

Are your parents married? If so, does their marriage certificates list name of parents?

We’ve had an association (not FBR which I assume you are pursuing) approved when we je birth certificate didn’t list a father, but other docs (death, marriage etc) did and they included an affadavit from the mother confirming father’s details.

Frances#7
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Frances#7 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:49 pm

This is really insightful, thank you.

Yes, I am pursuing FBR.

The parent who was related to them is deceased and their death certificate only lists their adoptive parents (my parent was placed in care before school age after the death of her mother, so I don't think there would be any of the documents available that you mention). My parents' marriage certificate lists the names of her adoptive parents, and my father and I are the only people in the application who are still alive to testify anything.

It is frustrating as I should be eligible (and would like to make this association for sentimental reasons) but am in the bizarre situation where it may not be possible.

Would still really appreciate any advice if others happen to be in a similar situation, though I appreciate it's a bit niche.

Vadrar
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Vadrar » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:04 pm

Ah, I didn't realise an adoption was involved. I'd suggest you search the forum for adoption as part of an FBR applications. There are a few threads that discuss this (and what needs to be done to identify lineage in the instance of adoption) and a few members who have navigated the process. They'll be much better placed to offer advice on birth cert gaps.

Frances#7
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Frances#7 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:27 pm

Great, thank you Vadrar. Yes, it's a bit complicated, and I'm new here as you probably guessed, but this is very helpful!

sarzone
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sarzone » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:17 pm

I would suggest getting additional supporting documents as well. I had an issue on my application where my grandparents names are different on their birth certificate than on my parent's birth certificates...my solicitor handling my application advised me to get supporting evidence. So, I was able to pull census records showing them with their 'updated' names, along with baptismal certificates. If you can get any of those, it should hopefully help your case.