ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependant younger brother under eu law

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ahmedd0
Newly Registered
Portugal

Dependant younger brother under eu law

Post by ahmedd0 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:41 pm

Hello
I would like to know if is it still possible to apply in Germany for younger dependent brother under EU law 2004/38/EC or any other applicable law in Germany. My British citizen brother moved in Germany in 2018 before Brexit and has German residence permit in article 50 and residency permit type is under article 15.
He has been supporting me from long time I have valid residence permit from Portugal. Is it possible to apply in Germany under eu law?
Thank you very much

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Re: Dependant younger brother under eu law

Post by Angel99 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:38 pm

Hi,

It will be impossible to go by EU law as relative. This's because Germany only considers spouse, minor children, parents and grandparents of EU citizen or the spouse's.

Another disadvantage is UK is no more an EU country. Since you have a residence permit in Portugal you can use that to try to get a job in Germany which can sponsor you for German residence permit.

ahmedd0
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by ahmedd0 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:16 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

ahmedd0
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by ahmedd0 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:20 pm

Angel99 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:38 pm
Hi,

It will be impossible to go by EU law as relative. This's because Germany only considers spouse, minor children, parents and grandparents of EU citizen or the spouse's.

Another disadvantage is UK is no more an EU country. Since you have a residence permit in Portugal you can use that to try to get a job in Germany which can sponsor you for German residence permit.
Hello is this possible to get a job on portugal residence permit? thanks

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Portuguese residence permit is valid only for Portugal.
While you can use it to visit Germany (and other Schengen countries) for up to 90 days as a tourist, you have to apply for a German permit to work in Germany.

There's a law that has been passed recently in Germany that simplifies job search - it may be of interest to you. I didn't look into it myself, but maybe other forum members have more information.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Angel99
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Angel99 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:57 am

ahmedd0 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:20 pm
Angel99 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:38 pm
Hi,

Hello is this possible to get a job on portugal residence permit? thanks

You can use your Portuguese residence permit to travel to Germany to look for a job.
Your Portuguese residence permit is considered as a type D visa in EU except Ireland and can be used to apply for residence direct in the EU country instead of applying for a work visa from Portugal.

If you have enough funds you can do your Anmeldung (residence registration) and health insurance in Germany, apply for jobs which will provide you work contract. Then you use your work contract and Anmeldung to apply for the Aufenthatstitel. Don't forget to cancel your private insurance when you are employed .