ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax for Skilled Workers?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rayghor
United Kingdom

Council Tax for Skilled Workers?

Post by rayghor » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:29 pm

Hi,

I pay 100% full council tax for my home, no discount as I have my wife living with me.

My brother-in-law has arrived to the UK last week along with his wife. He arrived as a Dependent. She is on a Skilled Worker Visa (specifically, Carer). It's agreed that they will stay in my home for a few months as it takes a while to find a house.

Do they still have to pay council tax if they stay in my home as guests? Or is it when they move into a home of their own, then they pay council tax?

Kindly please let me know. Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Council Tax for Skilled Workers?

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:44 pm

When they move into their own property.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:44 pm
Hi. Many thanks for your prompt response. So even if they stay in my home for say 6 months to 1 year, they don't have to pay council tax (until they get their own property).

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:54 pm

And when they renew their visa in 3 years time, in terms of showing address history, do they have to cover full three years including my home?

The only thing I can do for them is to register their GP to my home address. That's it.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:59 pm

rayghor wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:52 pm
CR001 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:44 pm
Hi. Many thanks for your prompt response. So even if they stay in my home for say 6 months to 1 year, they don't have to pay council tax (until they get their own property).
Correct.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:00 am

Council tax is charged per dwelling, not per person/couple

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:40 pm

HI, another question.

If they do not pay council tax for the duration of their Health Care Skiled Worker Visa, will it affect their renewal visa application in 3 years time?

And what's the minimum amount of years of Council Tax do they have to pay/cover before applcation for renewal?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:17 pm

rayghor wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:40 pm
HI, another question.

If they do not pay council tax for the duration of their Health Care Skiled Worker Visa, will it affect their renewal visa application in 3 years time? Possibly, if you are liable to pay the tax and don’t you are depriving your local council of income, it’s a tax!

And what's the minimum amount of years of Council Tax do they have to pay/cover before applcation for renewal? Nothing to do with your application. You pay it as long as you are residing in the property and are liable to pay.

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:35 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:17 pm
rayghor wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:40 pm
HI, another question.

If they do not pay council tax for the duration of their Health Care Skiled Worker Visa, will it affect their renewal visa application in 3 years time?

Possibly, if you are liable to pay the tax and don’t you are depriving your local council of income, it’s a tax! Hi thank you for your reply. Just informing, they are staying in my home for the time being. I pay full council tax for my home. However, just for residing in the UK, do they have to pay Council Tax at all during the whole 3 years period or no? Also, I will make sure they move to a home elsewhere, where they'll have more space as my home is 1 bedroom.

And what's the minimum amount of years of Council Tax do they have to pay/cover before applcation for renewal? Nothing to do with your application. You pay it as long as you are residing in the property and are liable to pay. Ahh I see, understood. However, I am not the one applying; it's my sister in law and her dependent husband. They are not liable to pay for my property. But do they not need to eventually pay council tax in their name in the future, during the 3 years period?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:31 pm

There's no requirement from the immigration side to pay council tax at all, if you don't have to pay it. Just like with any other tax you are responsible for paying it if you are liable (income Tax, VAT, etc etc). There's no rule that you must pay taxes, not even for naturalisation. If they rent a place then they normally have to pay council tax (unless the landlord includes it in the rent, not very common). If you stay in a boarding house you don't pay the tax, for example. If you buy a house then you pay definitely, whatever your immigration status is.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

explorerhere
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by explorerhere » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:59 am

Thank you for the information. Can you please share any official reference where we can check where this information is present. It'll re-assuring to see that this the factual position. Cheers!

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:41 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:31 pm
There's no requirement from the immigration side to pay council tax at all, if you don't have to pay it. Just like with any other tax you are responsible for paying it if you are liable (income Tax, VAT, etc etc). There's no rule that you must pay taxes, not even for naturalisation. If they rent a place then they normally have to pay council tax (unless the landlord includes it in the rent, not very common). If you stay in a boarding house you don't pay the tax, for example. If you buy a house then you pay definitely, whatever your immigration status is.

Hi,

Thank you for letting me know.

When renewal is due in 3 years time (June 2026), does she (skilled worker- carer) have to provide three years of proof of address such as utility bills in her name? So far, she only has bank statements and letters from GP & Hospital as proof of address from my current home.

I've found her (and her husband) a home weblink removed by moderator , where bills and council tax are included in the rent itself. So the landlord will have the Utility Bills in his name only. Is it a requirement for my sister-in-law to have it under her name officially for proof of address reason?

Kindly, pease let me know. Thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:46 pm

Please do not post third party weblinks, especialy if it identifies where a person will be!!

ANY correspondence to both at the same address can be used to prove 2 years evidence of cohabitation. There is NO mandatory requirement that utility bills must be in an applicants name
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:59 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:46 pm
Please do not post third party weblinks, especialy if it identifies where a person will be!!

ANY correspondence to both at the same address can be used to prove 2 years evidence of cohabitation. There is NO mandatory requirement that utility bills must be in an applicants name
Hi CR001,

Thank you for your answer. Apologies in advance about posting link; failed to use my common sense.

Is there a minimum amount of proof of address required? I think in my sister in law's case, it's only going to be bank statement and letters from GP. That's it.

For example, in my case for my wife's spouse visa renewal few years ago, I needed roughly minimum 10 documents showing our address such as bills, letters, bank statements, etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:18 pm

3 to 6 items, ideally from different sources, spread evenly for every 3 to 4 months. It can be ANYTHING addressed to either or both of them jointly, ie mobile phone bill, TV licence, Broadband bill, HMRC letters, ANYHTHING.

It does NOT have to be official Council Tax or Utility Bills.

You are overthinking this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rayghor
United Kingdom

Post by rayghor » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:27 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:18 pm
3 to 6 items, ideally from different sources, spread evenly for every 3 to 4 months. It can be ANYTHING addressed to either or both of them jointly, ie mobile phone bill, TV licence, Broadband bill, HMRC letters, ANYHTHING.

It does NOT have to be official Council Tax or Utility Bills.

You are overthinking this.
Ahhh I see. Makes sense. I thought mobile bills are not accepted but ok. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. Temporarily, they might move into my cousin's home for a bit. In that address, for the timebeing, nothing official will be under my sister in law's name except for maybe GP and HMRC letter. That's it.